main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I know Kaminski later admitted that KOTCS was not his favorite film to work on and that his efforts to emulate the look of the original films was hit and miss. For me, the cinematography starts going downhill around the time they reach the jungle. The lighting just gets a little too wishy washy and overly glossy. Some of my favorite Kaminski shots from KOTCS:

-The opening car race scene leading up to the Area 51 guards being shot. I love how the people in the convertible are lit.

-The Indy intro scene and Indy's first meeting with Spalko.

-The atomic test site scene (great color schemes)
    -The tent scene where Indy has to look into the eyes of the Skull.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    KOTKS looked way too grey and brown and washed out.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Indy in the tent with the skull is one of the best scenes in the film.

4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm excited about Mads Mikkelsen joining the cast, but at the same time, I'm trying to keep my expectations low. I remember being excited when Cate Blanchett was announced for Indy 4, and then ended up not being so impressed by the role they gave her. Nevertheless, good casting is always a step in the right direction.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The scene you refered to in earlier posts wasn't handled by Lucas though. It was most definately shot by Spielberg and Kaminski. As the Making Of describes, it happened on the first day of shooting. Lucas barely got involved with the actual scenes on set on any of these movies. At most he did some smaller scenes, or manned an additional camera, like on the bridge explosion scene from Temple of Doom. Most of his input came in other areas.

Lucas and Spielberg both grew up on the same style of movies. That's also the type of movie that Indiana Jones is based on. Thus it seems like these scenes are purely ones that mirrors the way movies used to be shot. This isn't something done by Lucas, nor was it necessarily something that Spielberg did. Take the truck chase from Raiders, it was almost exclusively done by the second unit under Micky Moore, after storyboards from Spielberg. Similarly, the riding into the sunset scene from Last Crusade is a classic one that appeared in plenty of old movies, and it also was little more than a small tidbit shot during pickups this time around.

oierem likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So...This film is supposed to take place after the events of KOTCS. That was 1957. So has there been any word on when this one would take place (without me having to read thru 30+ pages of discussion while at work)? I would imagine probably the 60's-or perhaps even early 70's...

That said, I can't think of any villain that would make sense in that decade, unless they either go with Russians again (I hope not) or take the Temple of Doom route and make one up...

Plus, what would be a featured part of the world for this one? Raiders was Egypt, Temple was India, LC was (I guess) Italy and...northern Syria? And KOTCS was South America. What's left...I suppose, China/Japan. Somewhere in Africa (other than Egypt) would be interesting. There's others, but those are the ones I'd be most interested to see.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Based on this Tweet, some point in time in the 60s. Probably the latter end of the decade, since Ford has aged over a decade in real life since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

LAJ edit - spoiler tagged for language.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was kind of hoping it takes place in the 70s.

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Indiana Jones and the Summer of Love

LAJ edit - spoiler tagged for language

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    one cast member plus Ford and a director = huh maybe it'll get made. But somehow casting another big name (probably baddie) makes is a bit more real and actually likely.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Tommy Lee Jones as the bad guy.

Jar-Jar Binks and StarYogi like this.
  12. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Timeline wise, it has to be the end of the sixties at the earliest, possibly early seventies.

I think the shot where Indy is silhouetted against the mushroom cloud is, say what you will about the preceding scene, pretty cool. Otherwise, yeah, the jungle portion is presented in a very theme park way for my tastes.

LAj edit - spoiler tagged for language

13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Mads Mikkelsen has signed onto Indy 5.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I'm guessing he's probably a villain as he's best known for those kind of roles.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If they're planning on releasing this already in only a little over a year, they must be already along the way in terms of script and pre-design/location scouting etc. That's a tight timeline for making the film compared to the production timeline for films we've seen these last several years....

Or maybe it's plenty of time, and they just fast-tracked it. [face_dunno]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  16. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    We have to remember that Indy 5 has been in development for years even before Disney bought Lucasfilm though it's not clear if Mangold and his writers chose to build from Spielberg's ideas or if they just started over again with their own story. Either way, they had over a year to write a script and do all the needed pre-production work. I'm not too worried about the shooting schedule. Indy movies usually have a lot of visual effects but nowhere near the amount of a Star Wars or Marvel movie. They're planning on beginning production this summer. By comparison, KOTCS began shooting in late June 2007 and that movie was released on May 22, 2008.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Here's hoping they are indeed able to get into production over the next few months. Recent casting news is promising. This thing has been in production for so long, with so many prior announcements, that it's hard to excited because I'm afraid it'll just be delayed again. Once cameras start rolling, I'll be a bit more at ease.

18. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It also depends on what countries are on the UK 'red list' when international travel resumes here. Right now it's only allowed for specific reasons (essential business is one) and then depends on the country you're coming from for quarantine purposes.

20. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I thought work purposes was one of the exceptions when it comes to travel restrictions?

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think it depends on the work purpose. People like freight haulers/truckers can come in since that's an essential service. I don't know if filming would be considered an essential service at this point given the number of people who would be involved, especially if the bulk were from outside the UK. Not too long ago people couldn't travel out of their home nation (England, for example) to different parts of the UK. Prince Harry was able to come for Prince Philip's funeral since that was considered 'compassionate grounds'. He still had to quarantine and get tested though.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Immortiss likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Glad more cast is being announced

24. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't know, I don't think the work has to be "essential". Film and television productions are pretty much up and running again, all over the world, including in the UK.

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    German actor. Interesting...the film finally appears to be on the fast track.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021