main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy -Jason Fry, Amy Ratcliffe, Cole Horton, & Chris Kempshall

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Mar 12, 2021.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Fleet Junkies & Star Wars military fan, HO! :cool:

Enter a galaxy ravaged by conflict and discover the complete story of the epic struggles that define the Star Wars movies. This ambitious book presents major galactic conflicts from an in-world “historical” perspective: each battle is depicted with captivating imagery, explored with newly commissioned maps, and explained through a detailed analysis of tactics, famous commanders, legendary warriors, key moments, and its impact on wider galactic history.
    • Publisher : DK (October 5, 2021)
    • Language : English
    • Hardcover : 256 pages

Written by a FANTASTIC stable of writers, I cannot wait for this book!

--Adm. Nick

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    October 7 for UK folks.

3. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Sounds fantastic. Do we think it's the same size as the art of books?

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Hoping for some substance on this and not a blurb book.

harryhenry likes this.
  5. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    For 250 pages there'd better be a lot of depth! Does it actually say anywhere if this is only a DisnEU Canon book or does it have any EU material? From what little I know of the new stuff, I have to wonder if there's even enough material for a book this big dedicated just to space battles?

If this were an EU book, though- 2,500 pages wouldn't be enough.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I assume that everything will be canon since it is being released under the new canon. Having said that...what will be re-canonized from Legends is anyone's guess.

This could really deliver for us....or not. As it is a book about battles in the GFFA....I am assuming we will get ship art. But will it be the same old same old of ISDs and Mon Cal ships? Or will they broaden the universe with art for other classes that have not really been shown before like the Qaz-class or the Fantail-class destroyers?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's canon-only. There's no reason to expect this book to cover the Yuuzhan Vong War, for example.

And I don't see anything that says it's limited to space battles. It's covering battles of any kind -- and canon has plenty of them, from the films to TCW, Rebels, High Republic, Squadrons, Alphabet Squadron, and everything else.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    October 5th? Calling it now. This one will be delayed. I doubt we’ll even get it in 2021.

Really looking forward to it when it does come out though! Love Jason’s work on Star Wars.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This sounds like an absolute winner - sort of an updated On the Front Lines crossed with the production value and style of the big DK books. Between this and the Skywalker: A Family At War book, this is going to be a pretty good (if budget-breaking) year on the DK front. The Mandalorian Visual Guide would have been icing on the cake, but what can you do.

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So...

Is this an update of On the Front Lines? Hope they kind-off fix issues I saw in it or at least expand on the Battle of Endor.

11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Curious about this publication, but given its war themed I hope it portrays it without glorifying battles and warriors.

PS: I need a variant of this book: "Publications that changed Star Wars fandom" by a multitude of authors... about all the most debated, fought over SW releases of all time. Not just movies but books, comics, games too. Which would qualify? NJO:Traitor for sure, Vector Prime maybe, Dark Empire? Plagueis? TFU? KOTOR? Hard Contact for the Mandofancommunity etc.? Death Troopers for adult fans?

harryhenry likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No. We need stuff to eternally talk about here.

harryhenry and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    Oh my, this sounds amazing. On the surface, it sounds like bares some resemblance to that old Battle of Hoth thread I did where I tried to work out the battle maps based on the film camera angles and known pilots/events. Canon version would probably be cleaner yet still mighty interesting! :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Battle of Jakku is probably gonna be a few pages worth of info considering how many stories have told that battle from various angles.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Its among those that hopefully gets an expansion.

I'd like Endor to definitely be expanded (and reinsert Blue Squadron please!).

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think that depends on how much story material there is to work with.

Jakku has a lot of story material these days, Aftermath, Battlefront 2, Alphabet Squadron.

Endor...Has Endor only really been told through ROTJ in NuCanon?

17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Blade Squadron, Lost Stars, Shattered Empire, some of Battlefront II, and mentions of various characters in things like Aftermath.

Daneira and Dream-Thinker like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Both Blade Squadron and Lost Stars cover Jakku in addition to Endor as well.

EDIT- see Coherent's post.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gotcha...Okay...Cool!

20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Don't forget the full write-up it previously received in On the Front Lines.

Daneira likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am hyped for this.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm cautiously optimistic, considering who's involved.

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Yeah. And I'm still disappointed for more.

But the Battle of Endor in ROTJ isn't fully covered. Blade Squadron left on a cliff-hangar when we only know two of the three pilots who survived. Nothing on Fanty. Shattered Empire had the tail end but even then, it left something I can't put my finger on. I wish we got more on Kokely and Pick. And The Levers of Power is good, but I wish for more.

24. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    FACPOV: ROTJ will be out in a couple years...

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So you're saying this book is already outdated? ;)