main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Definitive Thread to Rank All Star Wars Films (in terms of Your Favorite), TPM to TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 28, 2019.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

70 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

41 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

92 vote(s)
    31.4%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

30 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Rogue One / Solo

12 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    1. The Rise of Skywalker
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. Empire Strikes Back
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Return of the Jedi

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It's been a while since I did my ranking:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Rogue One
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Solo
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. Attack of the Clones
    11. The Rise of Skywalker

TripleZero likes this.
  3. Commander Tano

Commander Tano Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2021
    I’ll play:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
    2) A New Hope
    3) Rogue One
    4) Revenge of the Sith
    5) Return of the Jedi
    6) The Phantom Menace
    7) Solo
    8) The Force Awakens
    9) Attack of the Clones
    10) The Last Jedi
    11) Rise of Skywalker

KaleeshFett and TripleZero like this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Last
    2. Return
    3. Empire
    4. Skywalker
    5. Force
    6. Sith
    7. Hope
    8. Menace
    9. Clones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocknroll41 and darthfettus2015 like this.
  5. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I updated my sig with my current rankings. I'll put them in tiers though:

=======================================
    Empire Strikes Back - far and away the best SW movie. Vader was a true badazz in this one. This is the movie that made Vader one of the best villains in movie history.
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith

Both are epic SW chapters. Not quite ESB level but very strong.
    The Mandalorian
    Rogue One

Yes I'm including The Mandalorian. These are the best Disney has to offer.
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

Both of these were plagued with some childish silliness that kept it from being a tier or two higher. Some truly epic scenes in each though.
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo

Entertaining but not the best chapters IMO.
    The Force Awakens
    The Rise of Skywalker
    The Last Jedi

Just a poor SW trilogy. No continuity and lots of cringe moments.

6. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    1) The Empire Strikes Back
    You all know why this is #1
    2) A New Hope
    You also know why this is ranked so high
    3) Return of the Jedi
    This movies does have some flaws, but still has so much going for it. Harrison Ford clearly didn't want to be here and Carrie Fisher also had some unresolved issues behind the scenes, but Mark Hamill makes it all work for me
    4) Revenge of the Sith
    Easily the most pivotal story in the Skywalker Saga. I prefer the practical effects in the OT over the reliance of CGI in the PT, but a good story should not be overlooked.
    5) Solo
    I'm surprised to realize how high up this was on my list! It's far and away my favorite of the Disney Star Wars movies. It almost reminds me of the Star Wars comics of the 70s and 80s. The stakes aren't particularly high, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a smaller scale adventure
    6) Ewoks The Battle For Endor
    This movie is actually pretty terrible, but I have a soft spot for B-movies. I just accept it for what it is, and have fun with it. I also didn't expect it to start off on such a dark note, but for whatever reason, 80s kids movies made this the norm. This movie is definitely an acquired taste
    7) Attack of the Clones
    I totally get (and even agree with) most criticisms for this movie, but I think everything with Obi-Wan is actually pretty good. Anakin is not a particularly likable character, but I think Hayden's facial expressions really sell it. The romantic scenes with Anakin and Padme are pretty terrible, but I find it fun watching Padme's internal screaming whenever he talks. It makes the movie infinitely more enjoyable
    8) The Phantom Menace
    The saga had to start somewhere. I think Lucas would have benefitted by stepping into the directors chair at least once in the 22 years between ANH and TPM. The general direction is kind of weak because of it, but I think that introducing a character like Qui-Gon sets off the saga in a generally good direction otherwise
    9) Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
    This was originally written to be a 1-hour special but ABC demanded it be adjusted to be a 2 hour TV movie back in 1984. That definitely made for a movie that is honestly pretty boring and lacking the fun parts that would later end up in its sequel
    10) The Clones Wars Movie
    The show has brought us some of the most incredible and visceral moments Star Wars has ever had, but this was a bad first step. If Lucas wanted to make this a TV movie before the first season, it still wouldn't have worked, but I cannot fathom paying to watch this in a movie theater. But I digress, you can at least see elements at work that would later be expanded upon later in the show
    11) Rogue One
    Visually speaking, this is easily the best looking Star Wars movie. I also love all of the new designs, especially the Deathtroopers and K2SO, but sadly, that's mostly what it has going for it.
    12) The Force Awakens
    This was actually my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie before TLJ came out, which really threw a wrench into the ST (and the books comics from this era), for me. I was mostly fine with the light reboot approach and really enjoyed the cast as well, but having nearly everything discarded in the subsequent films didn't do it for me
    13) The Rise of Skywalker
    This movie was really just a nail in the coffin after TLJ. Say what you will about the most infamous parts of the prequels, but it always felt Lucas had the final say, while this movie feels like it was crafted by focus groups and committees from beginning to end. Add a breakneck pace you have a movie the tries to appeal to everyone while appealing to (almost) no one.
    14) The Last Jedi
    Atrocious humor, pacing, characters that feel completely rewritten, a plot that has so much yet so little going on, and discarding nearly all elements introduced in TFA led to one of the most baffling and depressing theatrical experiences in my life
    15) The Star Wars Holiday Special
    As much as I clearly don't like the ST, this is actually the worst Star Wars movie by far. You'd think this would be the most hilarious thing you could watch with friends, but it's so boring that it's egregious. No one needs to watch this in its entirety, just watch someone else review the movie and call it a day

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  7. dazin5

dazin5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    My list, from the films I've seen, is:
    RotJ
    ANH
    ESB
    Rogue One
    RotS
    AotC
    TFA and TPM jointly last.
    Haven't seen Solo, which doesn't sound as bad as all that, not that it sounds great either. Nor have I seen TLJ or RoS, and have negative desire to from what I've heard of about them. Was starting to get enthusiastic about the prospect of watching the Mandalorian, but that has taken a decided downturn after recent events.

KaleeshFett and Emperor Ferus like this.
  8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1) The Phantom Menace
    A unforgettable experience, introducing us to an amazing new adventure with new planets, ships, etc. Not to mention seeing Jedi in their prime and an amazing lightsaber battle. Incredible art direction and visual execution.

2) The Last Jedi
    While not introducing us to the most memorable locales or ships, TLJ captivated me with its use of new force powers, its exploration of new themes, and surprising story turns. A satisfying roller-coaster of a film with plenty of character work all around.

3) The Force Awakens
    An intriguing new introduction, seeing how the galaxy has changed (or hasn’t) since RoTJ, with likeable new characters. Loses points for loss of potential with some of its retreading.

4) Attack of the Clones
    Similar to TPM, this one captured my imagination with its locales. And I love Portman as Padme. Clunky as the romance may be, I still get swept up in it in large part due to the locations, the overall situation they’re in, and Williams’ brilliant Across the Stars.

5) Return of the Jedi

Plenty of swashbuckling adventure, thrills (speederbike chase), and a perfect third act which cemented the OT as something special. Could have used one more location in the second act to improve the pacing though.

6) Empire Strikes Back

A bit dull for me. I don’t find Han/Leia terribly fun to watch. But the Luke/Vader/Yoda stuff is classic. Cloud City is pretty dang cool too.

7) A New Hope

Again a bit dull, with some dated sets, but pure SW nonetheless. Ford as Han elevates so many scenes.

8) Revenge of the Sith
    Some awful visuals and writing, but I do like Anakin’s final bit with Obiwan quite a lot. Vader’s first scene is still dumb but overall it’s hard not to enjoy the origin of Darth Vader even if it’s a far cry from what it could have been.

9) Rise of Skywalker
    Depressingly hollow and unsatisfying conclusion to the trilogy/saga. But some scenes are undeniably cathartic. And there are some lore nuggets in here that are fun to think about as well (or specifically how they could be improved in other media).

10/11) Rogue One / Solo
    Cool visuals, cool tone. Worthless story. Unbearably annoying droids.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    Just had a rewatch over the past few weeks

1. ANH - Quite simply my favourite film of all time cant think of a better way of spending two hours.
    2, ESB - My second favourite film of all time
    3. RO - My Favourite of the Disney Era
    4. ROTS - My Favourite Prequel film love the Anakin scenes.
    5. TFA - Really enjoy this introduction to the ST
    6. TPM - Really enjoyed this Love Duel of the Fates
    7. TROS- Nice end to the saga
    8. ROTJ - The three way battle is as good as the in the OT/Saga
    9 AOTC - Good middle chapter of the PT
    I almost feel guilty ranking the last two so low as I have throughly enjoyed the Disney Era and are not bad films IMO its that at the moment I prefer the others
    10 TLJ/Solo

10. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. RO
    5. TFA
    6. Solo
    7. AOTC
    8. ROTS
    9. TPM
    10.....TLJ I guess....no TROS...no...I honestly don't know.

Emperor Ferus and Sarge like this.
  11. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    After rewatching the movies I now have a renewed appreciation for the original trilogy. ANH was not nearly as bad as I for some reason remembered it to be. I also didn't quite remember just how good Rogue One and Solo are. I like every single Star Wars movie except TROS... even TFA has some good scenes and overall it's not a bad movie at all even though it doesn't really feel like real Star Wars to me for some reason. It's more like high budget fan film almost.

Here's my new ranking:

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. Rogue One
    5. Solo
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. The Return of the Jedi
    9. A New Hope
    10. The Force Awakens
    11. Rise of Skywalker

takotsubo likes this.
  12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The "definitive thread" to rank the movies? What does that mean? Is this thread supposed to be the last word on how to rank the Star Wars movies?:confused:

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Obviously this is meant to be the primary place on the forums for people to rank the movies, so that we don't have 100 different threads of the same topic being posted.

Darth__Lobot and cubman987 like this.
  14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. Mandalorian (Yes, it's a tv show...but taken together it's almost like a film, and I rank right up at the top)
    5. RO
    6. TPM
    7. ROTS
    8. TFA
    9. SOLO

10. AOTC

11. TLJ
    12. TROS

I would say I genuinely enjoy rewatching the top 9. And I only watch 10, if i'm doing a saga marathon. The last two I really don't have any desire to see again.

Anakin's Daddy and TripleZero like this.
  15. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TLJ
    5. RO
    6. SOLO
    7. TFA
    8. TROS
    9. ROTS
    10. TPM
    11. AOTC

Not a big fan of the prequels. Revenge of the Sith is about the best of them. I don't think I have watched The Phantom Menace in the last fifteen years.

rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    would still be nice have one where our second, third, fourth, fifth choices count - there used to be one
    im proud to say my top four/five each reflect a different era
    rogue one
    empire
    sith
    anh
    rise of skywalker
    jedi
    tfa
    tlj
    phantom
    solo
    clones

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  17. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    1. Revenge of the Sith (10/10)

This movie shuts me up. Every time I watch it, I end up speechless. To me, everything surrounding "Order 66" is like the end of THE DEER HUNTER and from then on... wow.

I won't argue with anyone saying it's the best STAR WARS movie, hell I won't even argue with anyone saying it's the artwork of the last decade (like Camille Paglia) - in time, maybe I will overcome my own rules of judgment (that prevails me from giving it a full 5 star rating) and see the perfect, oddball masterpiece that really quite obviously shines through here.

Whenever I've talked to people who have seen STAR WARS for the first time in their lives in the (correct) I to VI-order, this is the one they always remember the strongest. So while I think THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is a perfect film, I really do believe that a 100 years from now, REVENGE OF THE SITH is the STAR WARS movie that will be remembered the longest and, in the end, it will probably be the most cherished one.

It's the heart of the saga, it carries some of it's most heartbreaking and profound moments, it shows off not only the best things in the cinema of old but the best technology that the 21st century can offer - Thea Von Harbou could have written the script, so much so that I find the title fittingly close to KRIEMHILD'S REVENGE; it's the truest, purest and most STAR WARSy of all six movies and totally ****ing overwhelming in almost every aspect.

[​IMG]

2. The Empire Strikes Back (10/10)

Thematically, this movie is about secrets and/or supressed feelings. One of the reasons Vader's reveal becomes so cathartic is because every scene leading up to it has dealt with secrecy and reveal, in one way or another. Even Luke going to Dagobah in the beginning is a sneak-away. I also can't help but wonder if Leia's drawn to bad boys because she senses that her dad's a bad guy.

Really, if you take away Freud, this movie makes no sense. But why should you.

[​IMG]

3. Attack of the Clones (9/10)

Republic, separatism=dualism
      "Nightmare", "take a deep breath", "I can't breathe"

The screenplay is more obvious, with instructions (some would say "actual" direction) that Lucas ignore when in the director's chair, instead filming Palpatine in his first scene from afar, somewhat unnoticable (the script basically suggests close-ups, as in Episode I and III; my guess is that Lucas realized, after a while, that he needed much iceberg logic on this one)

"I don't like this idea of hiding"

MYSTERY: Lies, agendas, suspicion, deception, corruption, secrets
      CONFLICT: Democracy, politics & philosophy; order - passion, confusion, love, family, unpredictable behaviour; chaos (life is not a puzzle).

Episode I - unity, symbiosis
      Episode II - one core dissonance, tearing up mirror images and absurd contradictions from every would be "whole"

Anakin is in a state of constant chaos
      Hayden's performance is excellent and as underrated as a supposedly dead volcano suddenly erupting, killing thousands. Every line he delivers is relevant, every wink and wince is of key importance, and his expression is totally pure.

For instance, how he can't look Padmé in the eyes when mentioning (as quickly as possible, as if it hurts to speak the words) how "possession is forbidden" - - - yet throughout the movie he's got a gaze of possession frequently directed towards Padmé. His panic when she falls out of the cruiser is also a neurotic panic, not a passionate or loving one.

Kamino-data is deleted on purpose, it has Palpie written all over it ("It was I who..." etc etc)

"Any order without question"
      What a telegraphing, given the circumstances

Episode I: Introducing the world
      Episode II. Introducing the conflict - good and evil, "balance" suggests being somewhere close to the middle, somewhere close to the middle is a slippery-slope between good and evil; who's who?

Technology and industry. War machinery.

Anakin lies to suit his mood, yet he can't lie to his dying mother, though he automatically goes for it: "Everything..."

- will be alright?
      Well no.

Anakin & Padmé lacks adherence to rules and have a hard time making sense out of their sensibility. Part of the match.

How does Jar Jar specifically end up giving Palpie the emergency powers? One of the icebox mysteries.

Fix things = stop people from dying
      A horrifying metamorphosis between technology and the organic
      i.e. a metaphor of Vader

We begin in the city, go to the province, end up in the outskirts and finally go backstage into the underground, industrial factory world of pitiless, cruel and mechanical causality.

Every player is confused into actions (of war)

Gripes are very minor ("Around the survivors a perimeter create!") and the one big sad thing about the movie is how much of Padmé's stuff got cut out, specifically the initial speech and the plea at Geonosis. Having them cut out not only puts two holes in the movie - now, Padmé arrives at Coruscant to discuss the army of the republic, yet never does, and she goes to Geonosis to negotiate, yet never does - the thoroughness of the exclusion, and the blunt way in which Padmé gets shunned now, has a murky old spice smell to it.

Nevertheless, endlessly fascinating stuff. 5/5 if seen in a marathon.

[​IMG]

4. The Phantom Menace (9/10)

Fascinating, completely unique retroactive introduction to George Lucas' Star Wars story. Essentially a two hour preamble depicting the time before the first films (which now serve as the back-end of a six part narrative) when the galaxy was a republic, once peaceful and optimistic but now threatened by political corruption and an elusive presence named Darth Sidious. The foreground plot involves the peaceful planet Naboo, whose queen (Natalie Portman) is trying to prevent a war against a greedy intergalactic trade federation - Jedi Knights Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and his young padawan apprentice Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) are tasked with protecting her, and along the way they pick up nine-year-old slave Anakin (Jake Lloyd) who may be a type of cosmic Messiah. No one else could have the vision, goals and means to make such an interesting story of what has seemingly just been a series of matinee films. This episode (saturated with cultural history as well as intricate philosophical themes) completely redraws the map, clarifies the depth that laid inherent in the previous films, and at the same time manages to be a classic, spacebuckling adventure movie with multiple highlights, fundamental special effects and a true devotion to pure fantasy. It's in a way unsurprising that the film annoyed large parts of the audience and became infamous for many - a prophet has no honour in his own country.

[​IMG]

5. Star Wars (9/10)

As a prequel defender, it's sometimes difficult to throw more love at the old trilogy - it's already beloved, who cares, and I almost wish I could say it was dated, boring, overrated and only loved because of nostalgia; that is in my mind perhaps an attractive, but incorrect, opinion. Much like prequel bashing - so much tar and feathers from angry consumers upset that the product Star Wars has been altered, so little love and understanding for the artwork that is the Star Wars saga. But just to be fair (and mean to myself), I've decided to watch the movies IV-VI, I-III, something I haven't done before and have never really dreamed of doing, me being a purist of the new school of Jedi Younglings and all. In a not too distant future, I suspect I'll be standing there weaving my cane at THE FORCE AWAKENS just like the 30-somethings I loathed as a kid, who were relentlessly spewing their hatred for Episode I. But... anyway.

Ultimately, seen in context, the original STAR WARS is where the French New Wave (very ironically) ends, by ways of New Hollywood (which was also singing it's final refrain). This was the movie that brought "editing for editing's sake" to the mind of commercial, mainstream Hollywood. Although it has sprung from all kinds of lore, and carries a deep retro love, it's also original, it has in itself a unique style and holds a very personal set of values (that would evolve, as Lucas continued to expand his saga).

And finally, as storytelling it's certainly the most straight-forward and organized of all six movies. In an attempt to watch the movie as a stand-alone piece, I realize it's probably the only Star Wars movie that works on it's own and perhaps even warrants nothing but a single viewing (if you watch it as a part of a greater saga, no matter what order you prefer to watch the movies in, this one will basically just leave you joining the dots). I love how it builds and builds and builds, and while I do remember being beyond blown away by it as a kid I still admire it while pushing 30.
      Essentially, it's a movie that starts out by knocking you out, and then it just gets all the more enticing, scene after scene. It's like a tractor-beam pulling you in. Escapism is an over-used word (I'm not even sure if it's a positive one), but STAR WARS really is effective in how it transports you somewhere else altogheter. It's not my favorite of the six - too much cheap B-movie dumbness (they really should have cut that embarrasing scene with the big needle!) - but then again, there's a refreshing lack of pretension to it, and it's a good reminder that Star Wars is for dorks.

[​IMG]

6. Rogue One (8/10)

I find this tremendously rewatchable

That is because, despite its nuts and bolts being pretty basic, Star Wars is with this film and it is one with Star Wars. Unlike Abrams, I get the feeling that Gareth Edwards, Weitz and Gilroy want to do Star Wars, they're not merely obliged, can't say no, honored or gitty about it.

They get that it's a religion.
      No really.
      Shut up, it is.

If you want to make Space Adventure nr. 52, fine, do that
      If you want to make Guardians of the Galaxy 3-10, great, I have nothing to say
      Indiana Jones in space? I can probably live with it.
      If you want to do something up your alley, go there. May your forces be with you.

But if you want to do Star Wars, get with your own program and do Star Wars - open up those textbooks and find those broad strokes, Big Moments, stylized speech, high falooting self-importance, fortune cookie hooey, warm blood, a heart of gold and take it seriously. We in the audience aren't even here, we're just privy to what goes on. Fantasy isn't reality and therefore it must be so real it shuts you down.

ROGUE ONE is, categorically, what it should be. It is a very satisfying starting point.

[​IMG]

7. Return of the Jedi (7/10)

As a run of the mill-action movie in space? Sure. Why not.

As a worthy conclusion to this story? No.

The problems are too many for me to go into them all, and most people know about them anyway. But one crucial quality that a fantasy movie needs to have is believability beyond suspension of disbelief. The events in the story must work primarily because the world works. When the real world shines through, you loose the illusion and much of the point. When the movie relies on cliches from other movies, and not ideas or content from within the unique world created for the story, it betrays itself.

So I'm all for the Ewoks, they're at least something. The real annoyance for me is in the acting and characterization. Lando Calrissian is the only character from EMPIRE that is recognizable as himself - Luke has turned into a psycho, Leia is Pocahontas and Han Solo is an insufferable goofball (Harrison Ford is phoning it in so hard here it's sometimes painful to watch his smirking deuchebaggery). None of them break a sweat and there's no sense of momentum - at all really - to their disappointingly humdrum attack at Death Star II.

Man... Death Star II. I guess Palpatine is actually just an idiot.

The effects are great, the storytelling is efficient enough and everything with Luke, Vader and Palpatine (underdeveloped as it is) is pretty strong. Momentarily the film really works, then it fades out of focus again. The story itself is weak, the acting is lazy and since so much sturm und drang is missing, the key idea of the movie (Luke redeeming his father and destroying the Empire) doesn't have the gigantic impact it should have.

Stylistically, we're at home, sure, and there are moments of pure STAR WARS beauty, but it's no payoff to EMPIRE and the sad thing is that everyone involved seems to know it. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher look like they shot their scenes in between their lengthy SPA sessions and you can tell that Lucas' focus is absent from the movie like a ghost, as he was occupied getting a divorce.

Say what you want about the prequels, but they were at least inspired and original. I used to think they repaired some of the damage in RETURN OF THE JEDI but all they really do is give a little more context to what's going on; as for the special editions, adding a couple of "No":s to Vader in the end is a futile attempt to make the scene better, but not entirely unsuccessful (though that song number is admittedly horrible).

Anyway, I can't see how anything could make this study in high-fuelled mediocrity live up to the reasonably mega-high expectations it fails to meet. It's just too much Indiana Jones in Space, too much "Random Adventure - the movie", too much "State of the art bang for the bucks and whatever story we have time for in between", too much "kids who play with their action figures"- or Joe Popcorn-Star Wars.

I'd say 1983 was the true lowpoint of George Lucas - this is a guy who's head is full of knowledge and ideas, but here he was just slumming it. No other STAR WARS movie proves how much of it works because of Lucas' vision and his understanding of his own creation. When he's lazy, like here, the movie dies and we get a nice-looking, rattling tin-can. When not, we get something personal or unexpected, something truly unique (like the prequels for instance or - just to beat you to the punch - HOWARD THE DUCK).

Here, he is just a tired man with no ideas left, making assumtions on what tired cliches some general audience may settle with. While there are pieces of original content in there (mainly Luke's plot-line), too much of RETURN OF THE JEDI consists of million dollar spare fumes. Though it's loud and sparkling and impressive - visually and technologically - as a finale to this story, it just allows the story to go out with an expensive whimper. Goes to show nothing's ever perfect.

[​IMG]

8. Solo (5/10)

A so-so Star Wars story that feels like what I suspect it is - a cancelled movie, organized rather than directed by Ron Howard.

He has directed actors through the script. They do exactly what you'd expect and nothing more, as if they want to get it over with.

Howard, or someone, has then made sure that the whole thing be filled with as much prequelite-ooh-aah, as many references to as much other stuff, as many characters and sideplots as possible - and still hold together (which it really kinda only barely does). This, at least, makes the movie firmly connected to the other entries. It never betrays its obligation to the fantasy genre, and much like ROGUE ONE there is a real sense of presence here, in terms of it being a movie about human beings in a rough galaxy.

It's then especially frustrating when you consider the wasted opportunity. Looking at the story, there's potential for style, tone and personality that just lays there. There's elements of a war-movie here, the plot clearly suggests a crime-movie, and it certainly has enough going for it to be an adventure-romp - somehow, somewhere, this should also be about Han Solo right?

Well, maybe. In any case, none can say, because SOLO becomes none of these things. There's no salt or pepper, just a whole lot of raw meat. A real director would have cut stuff out to highlight other stuff, or push the actors towards this or that. The studio has hit auto-pilot here and nobody's actually driving - Howard is a mere temp, overviewing the rig.

Now to be fair, I don't blame him. What could he do? Push it yet another way, perhaps to Disney's dislike? He seems to have been chosen because he won't rock the boat. And a boat is all this is. It doesn't carry much of importance, and it's only headed towards the harbor to sell its merch.

[​IMG]

9. The Last Jedi (4/10)

I will freely admit I don't understand Rian Johnson.

BRICK was a noir but not because that ****'s old. It was a high school movie, only not because **** that. LOOPER was a time-travel movie but who gives a **** about time travel so whatever. THE LAST JEDI is a Star Wars movie but hold, hold, wait, let's not go overboard here, let's not fall into the trap of making a Star Wars movie, **** yeah, we dodged that one too. Recently I had a conversation with some friends saying "I bet KNIVES OUT is a whodunnit that's not a whodunnit" and yesterday I heard Ri on a podcast saying that he wanted to make a whodunnit but without all that whodunnit sag because who ****ing cares who did it.

[​IMG]

10. Rise of Skywalker (3/10)

The only surprise to me was the weird Harry Potter vibe. Don't ask, it's not important. If you've seen the trailers you already know C-3PO has turned into Dobby for some reason. Now there's the Emperor of the Sith, whoever that is.

RISE does little for anyone. Anyone who liked the two previous movies will like this one too, I guess. Anyone who had issues with any or both will have the same issues again, only in some new package. For me, it was just weird feeling so utterly indifferent to something that once mattered so much to me. It was like having that final date with your ex, just to dot the i:s, clean the air and conclude that you're on two places, you're going different ways and that was all she wrote.

[​IMG]

11. The Force Awakens (1/10)

[​IMG]

18. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    11.REVENGE OF THE SITH
    Natalie Portman’s acting is so bad in this that it makes me wanna skip over almost every scene she’s in.

10.ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    Hayden Christensen’s acting is so bad in this that it makes me wanna skip over almost every scene he’s in.

9.THE PHANTOM MENACE
    I recently had a nightmare that Jar Jar broke into my house and attacked me. Needless to say, this one is much less watchable now.

8.THE FORCE AWAKENS
    It’s 49% nostalgia, 49% mystery boxes, and only 2% originality.

7.THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    Now I understand why JJ isn’t original more often. He’s not very good at it. But at least he tried this time, I guess.

6.ROGUE ONE
    A little too “edgelordy” for me.

5.RETURN OF THE JEDI
    It did its job wrapping up the original trilogy, but that’s about the most I can say for it.

4.THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    Still good, just not as good as everyone else thinks it is.

3.SOLO
    Understands that Star Wars is best when it’s just a simple romp. The Maul cameo at the end sucks, though.

2.THE LAST JEDI
    At least this one tried new things and asked unique questions.

1.A NEW HOPE
    Still the “purest” one of them all.

19. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Now that I give it more thought, I may move Rogue One down below Phantom. The acting in Rogue One is also pretty bad imo. I may also move Phantom up above TFA and TRoS. The “aftershock” of my recent Jar Jar nightmare is starting to wear off now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I think my list deserves an update. It changes constantly.

1. ANH - perfection
    2. TESB - great
    3. ROTJ - Return doesn't get higher because of stuff like ewoks. First act in Tatooine and Luke's confronting Palpatine is what I love.
    4. ROTS - I love Anakin's turn in Episode 3.
    5. TROS - there are many problems with this movie, but I find it very entertaining to be honest
    6. TLJ - Rian's directing is great, but that's it.
    7. SOLO - I only watched Solo twice so I'll put it here. Nice movie, but nothing impressive.
    8. TPM - there are few good things about this movie
    9. RO - i like the soundtrack and cinematography, but God this movie is so boring and dark and confusing and there's like zero chemistry between the heros
    10. TFA - lazy movie, still kinda fun
    11. AOTC - bad cgi, bad acting, everything's really bad

obi1jedinite likes this.
  21. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Pretty sure I've done this ranking a hundred times but why not throw it out there again!

1. TESB - A masterpiece!
    2. ANH - A masterpiece and an epic way to kick off a saga
    3. ROTJ - Flawed but good and worthy ending to the OT and to the Lucas saga
    4. TPM - The closest the Prequel films got to feeling like the OT in my opinion. Many flaws but I have great nostalgia for this film. Also seeing Coruscant in film for the first time is incredible.
    5. AOTC - Barely beating out ROTS. Something about the style of this film and how it's shot, and seeing how Obi Wan and Anakin are as master and padawan, which we see for an entire movie, is great.
    6. ROTS - Epic way to end the prequels. The final ending sequence (with the transformation into Vader, the birth of the twins, the delivery of Leia to Alderaan, the delivery of Luke to the Lars, and that final ending binary sunset shot with the music) is SERIOUSLY one of the best parts of the entire saga. Pure magic. Neatly intertwines things into the OT, despite it being nearly two decades before the events of ANH.
    7. TFA - I liked the movie when I first saw it, but the events of TROS have incredibly diminished my interest in ever rewatching it.
    8. TLJ - I liked this movie when I first saw it as well. On subsequent rewatchings, my opinion of the film went down. I do think it is a beautiful movie from a cinematography point of view. Has neat planets. Achc To, Crait, and even Canto Bight (on the planet of Cantonica) are neat locations in the GFFA. I can see why people really love this film, but the story doesn't fully work for me.
    9. TROS - Not a fan at all.

HolyKenobi93 and Jo Lucas like this.
  22. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Having watched through the first six films last week I decided it was finally time to rank the saga. I guess it’s no secret that I vastly prefer the six films Lucas produced to the Disney films (which I really don’t count in my headcanon) so my ranking is basically The Lucas movies >>> The spin-offs >>>>>> The Sequel Trilogy

I tend to see the first six episodes as one long story, so its really hard to pick between individual episodes. I’ve tried to break down each film for its individual strengths and weaknesses as well as its contribution to the saga as a whole. I’ve also taken into consideration the emotional impact each film has had on me.

This is what I’ve come up with:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

[​IMG]

Empire is the film that made me fall in love with Star Wars. It has some of the best action in the series (the Battle of Hoth, the chase through the asteroid field, Luke vs. Vader) and is probably the tightest from a writing perspective. The introduction of Yoda is great and has some really strong mythological allusions. The scene in the cave is absolutely brilliant. This film develops the mythos of the force more than any other in the series. John Williams introduces some of his strongest material here with the Imperial March, Yoda’s theme, Lando’s theme and Han and Leia’s theme. It has a really unique and engrossing atmosphere and also the greatest twist in movie history. My only major complaint is that Irvin Kershner’s direction doesn’t quite match up with the more documentary style that Lucas employs with the rest of the series. Other than that it's just about a perfect film.

10/10

2. A New Hope

[​IMG]

I have to admit that this didn’t do much for me when I first saw it, but I have to come to appreciate it more and more over the years. It’s the “purest” film in the series in that it stands on its own. I always feel the need to watch the other as part of a six film story, but ANH I can pretty much pop in at any time and enjoy it on its own. It’s the film that comes closest to Lucas’ initial concept of an updated Flash Gordon style adventure. The one thing I’ve loved from the beginning is Alec Guinnas as Obi Wan, and his introduction and death scene are still some of my favorites. Like Empire it's filled with memorable moments. That stunning opening shot, the binary sunset, the entire sequence on the death star, the battle of Yavin, etc. It’s worldbuilding is the most effortless of the series or maybe of any film I’ve ever seen. It packs so much into 121 minutes that it kind of blows my mind. I do think the climax (as brilliant a piece of cinema as it is) is a little contrived and some scenes (the lightsaber fight) haven’t aged that well but overall it’s still great.

9/10

3. Revenge of the Sith

[​IMG]

This is certainly the film that I’ve changed my mind about the most. At first I really liked it and thought it was as good or better then ROTJ. Then I jumped on the prequel hating bandwagon and hated it for a while. Now I think it's a masterpiece. Along with Empire it's the most engrossing film of the series and moves at a relentless pace (once Obi Wan leaves for Utapau at least). It’s also the most emotionally resonant film in the series except for ROTJ. It has one of the most stunning opening shots in movie history and the second (maybe 3rd) best lightsaber duel in the saga but the best moments in the film are quiet ones. Anakin and Obi Wan parting for the last time as friends, Palpatine’s subtle manipulation of Anakin (especially in the opera scene) and the various scenes showing Anakin’s inner turmoil are all brilliant. Lucas never made better use of parallels, both within the film itself and with others in the saga. It certainly has the best performances of the PT especially from Ewan McGregor. If I was a fan of Obi Wan before, this is certainly the film that cemented him as my favorite character in the series. It’s not a perfect film. The Mace/Palpatine duel was clearly rushed, the “I have the high ground” conceit doesn’t really work and Yoda’s motivation for breaking up the fight with Sidious and going into exile needed to be more clearly established. Nevertheless this is one of the best films in the series.

9/10

4. Return of the Jedi

[​IMG]

ROTJ is a film that I’ve grown to appreciate more and more overtime. It is clearly the most flawed of the CT with its uneven pacing and the films mishandling (at times) of Han Solo. On the other hand it has, hands down, my favorite scene in the entire saga: Luke confronting Vader in the Emperor's throne room. The emotion and tension is dialed up to 11 largely thanks both to the wonderfully atmospheric set design and John Williams score (the best he did for the CT imo).This is the film that really brought out the humanity in Vader and, because of this, it really is the lynchpin of the saga. It has some truly stunning set pieces: the speeder bike chase, the lightsaber duel, and the battle of Endor (still THE best space battle in the saga). The film is practically bursting with creativity, particularly with all the stuff in Jabba’s palace. The ending is strangely quaint (especially when viewed in the relation to the prequels) but it always gives me a warm, happy feeling. I feel kind of weird about putting this below ROTS, which is a better film but one I don’t respond to as powerfully, but I’m on kind of a PT high right now.

9/10

5. The Phantom Menace

[​IMG]

This is the film that has grown on me the most over the past year or so. It is probably the slowest film in the series, and in many ways the most subtle. Qui Gon Jin, more than anyone else, makes this movie. He is, along with Luke, the ideal Jedi and it is his compassion, especially toward those seen as insignificant by others, that the Jedi council is really lacking (something that Luke will eventually restore). I also love the worldbuilding. This sets the stage really well for the other five films. Palpatine’s scheming is great and I love how, in retrospect, the film takes on a really tragic tone. Anakin saying goodbye to his mother still gives me goosebumps (Jake Lloyd is a much better actor then people give him credit for). John Williams never wrote a better Star Wars score. Though I love the soundtracks for AOTC and ROTS, Williams was never quite as ambitious with his use of leitmotif as he is here. Of course lightsaber duel is great, possibly the best in the saga, and I love the pod race as well. The film is erratically paced at times and I’m not sure if Lucas ever really figured out what to do with Anakin in the climax. Also, while I don’t mind the concept of Midchlorians (I actually think it's really interesting) I’ve never been a fan of the way Qui Gon simply conducts a blood test to determine if Anakin is the chosen one. It undermines the mythical/spiritual nature of the force to some extent. In any case, I’ve grown to love the film despite some of these flaws.

9/10

6. Attack of the Clones

[​IMG]

Though I don’t hate this film the way I used to, I still find it the toughest of the original six to really get into. One issue is that it’s essentially a mystery film but one where we're never given complete answers (specifically about Syfo Dyas and the reason for Dooku’s leaving the Jedi). Another problem is that this is maybe the most character driven of the six films and Lucas’ esoteric approach can be alienating at times. Nonetheless there is a lot to appreciate in AOTC. Ewan McGregor really comes into his own as Obi Wan here, and it's a lot of fun following him on his investigation. I also have some to appreciate his interaction with Anakin here, which I feel is widely misunderstood. Their relationship is certainly a problematic one (that’s kind of the point) but they clearly have affection for one another and they have a well established rapport right from the start. Christopher Lee brings his usual sense of presence to the film and I enjoy watching him onscreen, though I wish he was given more to work with. The arena battle is great and the battle of Geonosis, though brief, is certainly the most impressive battle in the series (up to this point) in terms of scale. My favorite part of the film however, is Anakin’s return to Tatooine. The death of his mother is THE major catalyst for his fall in ROTS, and it’s handled really well. I love how Lucas borrows from The Searchers (an old favorite of mine) for this sequence, helping to strengthen the parallels between Anakin and Luke (whose Aunt and Uncle’s death also borrows heavily from the Searchers). It’s a good film, just a little harder to get into then the other five.

8/10

7. The Clone Wars (Movie)

This is basically just four episodes of the show strung together into a feature length film but, as a big fan of the show, I enjoy it. Like most of the first season its a bit rough around the edges, both in animation and storytelling. Nonetheless, of all the standalone SW movies, this one feels the most authentically ‘Star Wars’ to me. I do like the relationship established between Anakin and Ahsoka and there are some fun battle scenes and lightsaber fights. I’m glad Ventress was reintroduced into the canon here and it's cool having Christopher Lee and Samuel L. Jackson reprise their roles from the PT. I’ve also always appreciated the scene where Anakin and Ahsoka arrive on Tatooine and Anakin is clearly uncomfortable. It sets a good precedent for the show’s (generally) good handling of Anakin's character.

7/10

8. Rogue One

Though everyone else seems to love this I’ve never been able to understand why. So much of this film comes across as empty fan service that it just irks me. I also think that (over)explaining the Death Star’s weakness ends up undermining Luke’s big moment in ANH. There are some really epic battles scenes and do like the supporting characters a lot, though Jyn Erso's arc has never really worked for me. I also appreciate that it avoids the painfully self-aware humor of the sequels.

6/10

9. Solo

In some ways I enjoy this more than RO and, of the spin-offs, its the one I feel the most desire to revisit. I surprisingly enjoyed Alden Ehrenreich as Han and the film is well cast in general. It also explores an up-to-this-point neglected area of the universe (at least in canon) and I have to admit I really liked seeing Darth Maul again. BUT the stuff with L3-37 honestly makes me uncomfortable and the fact that she becomes part of the Falcon just adds insult to injury. The callbacks to the other films come across as obnoxious and the plot has enough holes to fly a Star Destroyer through.

6/10

10. The Force Awakens

I have to admit I still have some nostalgia for this. It was the first SW film I watched in theaters and the hype leading up to its release was insane. It’s still the most enjoyable of the ST films for me. J. J. Abrams knows how to direct a fast paced, action packed film (even if he can’t write one very well) and John William’s score is great as always. With that said I HATE how they killed Han off, the whole plot surrounding the map makes no sense and none of the things they set up for later films pay off in a remotely satisfying way. It’s become obvious, in hindsight, how much the entire trilogy was doomed from the get-go because of decisions made in this film. By essentially returning to the status quo of ANH (in an incredibly forced, clunky manner) the writers killed any possibility of moving the story forward.

5/10

11. The Last Jedi

Unlike TFA, which I greatly enjoyed when it first came out, this one left me rather conflicted. On the one hand Johnson seemed like he was trying to do something different with the saga, and I really enjoyed Mark Hamill’s performance. On the other hand, the whole thing came across as cynical and a bit pretentious. The more I’ve watched the film the more I’ve come to hate it. Almost every decision Luke makes seems out-of-character (though, again, Hamill’s performance is committed), the inverting of various iconic moments from the CT comes across as sophomoric and the new characters just feel like they're spinning their wheels. The whole conflict between Holdo and Poe is incredibly contrived and grounds the plot to a halt to no real purpose.

3/10

12. The Rise of Skywalker

Sigh. By the time TROS was released I was so burnt out on the series that I didn’t even bother watching it until it came out on Disney +. I have to admit that, despite my low expectations I was surprised that it was getting such terrible reception. Even then, I was not prepared for how bad this was. The plot is simply incomprehensible, made more so by the films rushed pacing. It’s one of the worst edited films I’ve ever seen. It rushes from one scene to another so fast I couldn’t even really appreciate John Williams music. Palpatine’s return is handled terribly as is pretty much every character arc. It becomes glaringly obvious, if it wasn’t already, that the people behind this trilogy had no real plan for where it was going. This is the only film in the series that I really had no desire to go back to at my first viewing and its soured me even more on the ST then I was before it was released.

1/10

I decided not to include TV stuff as it's a different medium. If I were to do so it would probably look something like this

1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTS
    4. ROTJ
    TCW (2008)
    5. TPM
    CW (2003)
    6. AOTC
    The Mandolarian
    Rebels (I’ve only seen season 1)
    7. TCW (movie)
    8. RO
    9. Solo
    10. TFA
    11. TLJ
    12. TROS

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  23. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    @HolyKenobi93

Fantastic post, really great rankings with justification. Mine mirror yours almost identically.

HolyKenobi93 likes this.
  24. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Thanks! It looks like your more of a PT fan then I am. I'm curious why you have TESB so low.

25. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Oh I meant mirrored as in basically identical lol. ESB is my easy #1.