main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Of all the stupid parts of this from Mike, and there's a lot of them, arguing back that Columbus never landed in the USA dismisses Puerto Rico as part of the US even though it is.

And, to be consistent, would also mean considering Great Britain and Ireland as not in Europe (I didn't say the UK specifically because Gibraltar would be in Europe still), and I don't think most people would do that, either.

There's enough unquestionably wrong things to point out here within introducing that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am more surprised it took them 20 years to find Florida. I guess they were to busy ransacking and killing the islanders to care.

While Puerto Rico is America. I have a sealing suspicion that he didn’t factor that in when talking about how “we” decided to stay. But I think the whole point is moot. As I said and countless others Columbus discovered jack ****.

Edit: just remembered this is the Gun control thread. I have really lost the plot with this one

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    DP

4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Nah; there was quite a bit of exploring going on before the 15th century was out already, but remember the means of the time weren't exactly as efficient as those of today. Expeditions like Columbus' were slow and potentially lethal propositions, as well as imprecise, and not very numerous, on top of being highly expensive... Some of the discovering owed quite a bit to chance. And it took the establishment of permanent bases to really get the process started.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, I can think of approx. 17.4m people who might think just that, some of them even with glee... [face_plain]

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    There was a shootout at a 12 year olds birthday party today. No one was killed. Some injuries but everyone is in stable condition

7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    You guys..... C'mon. I got my fax strate. Its all good, brothers. :)

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So where's tomorrows mass shooting going to be? Any guesses?

9. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    True - Any gun presents some risk, albeit likely very minor being such a dangerous object. People do dumb stuff all the time and hurt themselves and others. I get that. I also agree that some of these shooters were probably "normal" that we know of until something in them snapped. But it has also been proven that some were not and shouldnt have had access to firearms at all or did obtain them "less" then the most legal way.

Lets bump up the requirements, rules, and pre-reqs and all of the other things that us sensible gun control advocates have discussed here.

Damn - thats a little extreme, IMO. I rarely if ever carry when Im out since I never go anywhere where I feel threatened. This is just dumb.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, statistically Chicago would be a good guess. Houston too.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It is incredibly sad that we are at this point where it's not "if" or "when" but instead "where"

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But there's no way to prevent it. Maybe prayer should be mandated in schools, just to boost the net volume of prayers per 100,000 citizens.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We can’t pray in school. We’re too busy doing active shooter trainings. And taking away active shooter trainings would mean taking away freedumz .

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, right. Good point.

Well. ****. There's no way to prevent it then. Oh well.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not as long as we are too “unique” to become a civilized country.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I think we certainly *should* take away active shooter trainings. I don't think there's much evidence to support them as helping.

"A report released Thursday, obtained in advance by NBC News, found active shooter drills in schools correlated with a 42 percent increase in anxiety and stress and a 39 percent increase in depression among those in the school community, including students, teachers and parents, based on their social media posts."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...epare-students-research-finds-severe-n1239103

"As schools ramp up active-shooter drills, some training tactics—especially those meant to simulate real-life scenarios—are doing more harm than good, educators and safety experts say."
    https://www.edweek.org/leadership/i...-shooter-drills-take-toll-on-teachers/2019/03

"Active shooter drills, a routine in American schools for the last two decades, tend to traumatize students and have not been proven to save lives, according to a report released on Tuesday."
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ctive-shooter-drills-in-schools-idUSKBN2052UH

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I can't convey how nuts it is that there have to be active shooter drills in schools and that they have been done for 20 years. To those outside the US it sounds insane.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    "have to be" really is a questionable prospect. Americans have a weird obsession for pageantry that doesn't accomplish what it's supposed to, as the TSA has been demonstrating for 2 decades.

poor yorick, Jedi Ben and blackmyron like this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    At least that idiotic 'terror level' color scheme seems to have been quietly put to bed.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    No, it sounds insane to those of us in the US as well. In twenty years not a dent has been made in addressing this epidemic- but restricting voting and bills to control the bodies of non-white and non-straight males are flying through states at breakneck pace.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    My class was likely one of the last classes to go through school without active shooter drills and I graduated the same year Columbine happened.

Rew likes this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't remember ever going through active shooter drills.

But at my last job, we definitely had a few meetings where we had to watch videos about what to do in active shooting situations.

25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    We had to watch what to do in case of an active shooter videos at a place I used to work too.