main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge April is WIP Month! (Finish WIPs, Get Prizes!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    WAY-HEY! Go you, Nyota, that is absolutely awesome—though I am not at all surprised that that review goal was such a piece of cake for one JCF Fanfic's most stalwart reviewers. :) Got it in the index, and congratulations again! =D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    All 10 are listed but it's still indicated as 5. [face_thinking]

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Golly, you're right! Fixed it now. Sorry about that!

5. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well done, both of you! =D= Got them listed in the index. :)

8. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Let's review:

• Small: Scene of The Ossus Excavation and Archaeology Project WIP
    • Medium: Finish chapters 31-36 of Interregnum Done!
    • Medium: Finish one-shot for OTP Challenge #19 Fail! Did not make contest deadline.
    • Large: Finish writing/editing multiple (2-3) "Missing Moments" one-shots related to Interregnum WIP
    • Large: 5000+ words on Interregnum sequel Done! Am aiming for another 10,000 by the end of April.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the update, Bel505. Keep up the good work!

So, before I update the index, just a few things:

1. Things marked "WIP" are the ones you are still working on over the course of the month, right?
    2. About the one-shot for OTP #19, in case this helps: it's not technically a "fail" yet, because it's not the end of the month yet! ;) (And even if it were, I by no means see it as "failure" and hope you won't, either. <3 ) Even for deadlined challenges like the OTP and OC ones, you are still welcome to enter stories after the deadline--they won't be part of the voting, but they can still go in the ad-hoc/out-of-competition part of the index. So, if you like, it is fine to consider that one still in-progress, too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  10. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    Oh, yes. I have two of the Missing Moments scenes done and am working on the third, but I haven't posted any yet, and I still intend to circle back to the Ossus Project. The OTP piece never got written because I just couldn't get the story to coalesce in my mind, so I think I'm just writing that one off to focus on the Large goals.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Got it—thanks! And go you for finishing those up! =D=

Sounds good. I have your goals on those Interregnum chapters and the Interregnum sequel recorded in the index now. It's totally fine to write off a goal if you don't think you can make it; I honestly will probably have to do that with mine, too. No judgment at all—it's the sort of thing that can happen to anyone. <3

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I finished the second of my small goals: 300 words on Do Not Disturb, which is kind of amazing, because Darth Real Life has been throwing stuff at me left and right. I'd love to get really ambitious and finish another goal, but it seems rather unlikely at this point.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Got my second post for my DDC up today. Met that goal now. :)

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I've struggled so hard this month with writing. Every time I sit down I either get distracted by something, realise that I have to do work for school (yay! drafting) or am just too tired to function. So far behind now that I don't think I can catch up, even with five days to go.

Congrats to everyone who is hitting their goals though!

Edit: This is what I've managed to do:
    • Medium: 1000 on Latin Challenge story: Hollow
    • Medium: Finish one chapter of Paramour 54
    • Large: Finish multiple chapters of Snips and Snails: 2 chapters done (4453)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, what great work, you all! Way to go! I’m loving this, and I hope you too are loving basking in that feeling of accomplishment—you deserve it! =D= Got it all in the index. :)

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Lovely to see everyone making a sort of final push as WIP month draws to a close.

To report on my own efforts, I have written 1987 more words toward my goal for Everywhere Peace, Everywhere Serenity, bringing my total word count on that story to 3323.

It's still up in the air whether I'll be able to achieve my 5000 word goal for that story, but any progress I make on it is great and encouraging.

18. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Congratulations and a big round of applause to everyone who has met or made progress on their goals! That's super-exciting and you should all be proud! =D=[face_party]

As far as writing goes I haven't touched any of the other fics I planned to work on, but I've written over 7,000 words for another challenge I've been participating in and I have several new plot bunnies, so I'm happy about that (especially after the way this year started!). And there are still a few days left in the month so we'll see what happens. :D

Also, I managed to complete 5 more reviews to reach my goal of 10:

An Awkward Addition to the Family by @devilinthedetails
    So Few Things by @Mira_Jade
    A Different Side of You by @Raissa Baiard
    The Captain, the H-Goater, and the Voorpak by @Findswoman
    Snips and Snails and Bantha's Tails: Journey to the Pet Shop by @Kit'

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, very nice work! I’ve updated your word count in the index. Every bit does indeed count, and do be proud of the work you’ve done, whatever number you end up making it to! :)

Wow, that’s great! Got those recorded—congratulations on reaching your goal of ten reviews. =D= So glad to hear of your progress on the other challenge, too; it all counts and is all something to be proud of. :)

So, as for me, a combination of RL and depression have kept me from doing as much writing this month as I would have liked, and thus, given that there are only 5 days left in the month, I am pretty certain I’m not going to reach my single Large writing goal of finishing the voorpak story. But between last week and today I have managed to get 1633 words written on my second chapter (there will probably be three or four total), and I’m thinking I can at least aim for finishing that chapter by month’s end.

And I did manage to review five more stories, and thus I’ve complete my review goal of ten! They are:

So Few Things by @Mira_Jade
    Hither and Yon by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    In Dreams We Dwell by @ViariSkywalker
    Paramour 54 by @Kit'
    Destiny Lies by @Starith

So, not too shabby, I think! Part of what I love about this challenge is getting to know new stories I might not have otherwise, and that’s still a huge gift even if my own personal productivity hasn’t quite been what I hoped for.

Sending good vibes all around for these last five days of the month! :)

20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Wow! Congrats everyone, you're doing great!

As for me:

I achieved my small goal of writing 500 words for The Kyberkerk of Jedha, but it's an outline rather than actual story text, does that count?

Also, I'm mostly done with the next chapter of The Tale of Noora and Seyf, but I'm not sure if it'll be finalised by the end of the month, because I'd like to focus on reading and reviewing everybody's work this week (I won't manage to read everything, obviously, but I'll do my best to read at least a little bit by every participant).

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, certainly, I’m fine with counting that—got it in the index right now. Sounds like you’re making good progress; keep it up! :)

22. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Finished my Adventure/Romance 12 part story: Shadow over Curean

Also I know its a large challenge but I would find the readers choice/recommendation more intresting as a prize rather than the colours. Is it possile to switch?

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    That's great! I'll update the index now. Way to go! =D=

So, I didn't make this clear in the OP originally (sorry about that!)—but my plan is that everyone who achieves a goal of any size, not just small or medium, will be listed in the special edition of Readers' Choice. So yes, that will definitely include you and "Shadow over Curean"!

Would you still like the colors in addition? After the end of the month I plan to send the mods a list of the eligible participants to the mods, who then PM those people to ask for their color choices. If you like, I can make a note to myself not to include you in the list, or if you prefer you can make a decision one way or the other when they PM you. Let me know what you would prefer to do. :)

24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Oh was suspecting that was the case but wanted to be sure.

In this case I would of course enjoy getting the colours as well. :)

25. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    Well.. I've finished the four Missing Moments pieces (really though, that's only two; I mostly had two already written before April started). I was going to post them in separate threads but I think I'll put them all together instead.

On a more productive note, I'm up to 15,000 words on the Interregnum sequel.