main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Probably more tone deaf to make this, yet again, about the SnyderCut.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, because I mentioned the words "Snyder" and "cut" in my post.

3. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    We’re in the DC thread. You mention Warner’s giving minorities the short end of the stick, right after the whole thing about Cyborg. Seems like just another excuse to have a go at Warner Brothers for the usual reasons.

Also I can read all the Twitter responses from Snyderfans.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    What whole thing about Cyborg? I didn't mention anything about Cyborg.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WB: Issues the exact same statement as almost literally every other media company.
    Snyder Fans:

[​IMG]

6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, how many characters of color did they cut out of Justice League? And they ignored the pitch for an Atom film that would have beaten Marvel to the punch. And Famuyiwa’s rejected Flash script that tackled racism. And then they cut Green Lantern out of ZSJL.

Like come on, it’s ridiculous. It’s why the idea of the black Superman movie was met with hostility. They are just virtue-signaling now.

This is a separate issue from Snyder altogether, let’s not equate the two.

Emperor Ferus and laurethiel1138 like this.
  7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Ray Fisher's reaction is priceless (NSFW so under spoiler tags):

And this parody pretty much sums it up (some strong language so under spoiler tags also):

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Warner Bros is not just Zack Snyder and Justice League though.
    And I think that is the problem with the blowback from (mostly) Snyder fans.

Also, while they screwed up on one area, people ignore the many ways where they beat Marvel to the punch in tv- especially when it comes to superheroes of color and LGBTQ superheroes:

- Openly Bisexual superhero on tv: White Canary, Constantine, Penguin (Gotham)
    - Openly Gay superhero on tv: Batwoman, Ava Sharpe, Mr. Terrific, Alex Danvers, Negative Man (Doom Patrol)
    - Black Superhero: Black Lightning, Batwoman, Martian Manhunter, Miss Martian, Starfire
    - Transgender Hero: Dreamer
    - Female Lead Suprhero: Supergirl, Batwoman, and yes Legends with Captain Sarah Lance, and now Stargirl
    - Interracial marriage & couples: John & Lyla, Barry & Iris, Alex and Kelly
    - Gay Marriage: Mr. Terrific (later divorced)

I'm not saying some of this doesn't come across as pandering at times. I'm also not saying that WB and DC have made mistakes. But for all the focus put on ONE film, they ignore all the other shows that are incredibly diverse.

And that's also still ignoring all the other media properties.

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    While you make some sound points, movies have a much wider reach than TV shows. And the movies have not been led by diverse casts. In fact up until 2016 it was almost entirely Superman and Batman.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    SHAZAM had as ethnically diverse a cast as possible and that's about to get a sequel. Black Adam is an incredibly diverse cast. Hell,, the Flash dropped Cyborg and is, instead, giving the world a Colombian Supergirl. The Suicide Squad cast is diverse. Every film on their current slate is diverse.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Huh, that's so weird...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_comic_series

Why would they focus on the two most popular superheroes of all time...

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Based on those sales charts I assume you mean Goku and Monkey D. Luffy? :p

Jedi Merkurian , BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Nice job of pivoting.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He's not pivoting, you said they pretty much only made movies based on Batman and Superman up until 2016, and he's arguing that's based on their relative popularity and not diversity issues.

Now, Green Lantern, there's a film that could've easily been an opportunity for better representation, but no, we had to have Geoff Johns' precious bland slab of Silver Age meathead played by Ryan Reynolds farting around in a CGI mistake.

15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Fortunately, Deadpool 2 had the appropriate reaction to that Green Lantern film. ;)

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know why any of you think Darkslayer is coming at this from a ZSJL perspective.

Darkslayer and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok, others have said it.
    But a few more:

Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent and (let's please forget) Halle Berry as Catwoman- it may have been a bomb, but she did lead it.
    You also have the far increased role of Lucius Fox for Morgan Freeman and Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White.

And those are the big two. As was pointed out, SHAZAM is filled with ethnically diverse heroes with the Marvel family (and the wizard Shazam himself) and Suicide Squad would be another. Birds of Prey was also quite diverse. This doesn't get into other film franchises though. The point however is that one (bad) film should not somehow hold the rest of the company hostage when in fact they've been making progress for quite a while in other films.

Ray Fisher might have had a point if that quote came from Geoff Johns or Hamada himself for instance. It came from WB the company- which has many more brands than Justice League.

And as I said after watching the cut, I agree with Joss' decision to cut Cyborg and Flash's scenes- much of that could have been for their own origin films- just like the cut scenes for Aquaman ended up filling in the plot there. And I think Aquaman is a perfect example of what happens when you try to fit too much in an ensemble film and then go to your own- more chance of contradictions and continuity errors. The only one that should have stayed was Diana's because it better explained the discovery of what was coming and why. But for the other three, the cuts did not necessarily improve anything about the film itself- just the characters which could have happened in their own film.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean, the appropriate reaction is probably to forget it ever happened and move on, but I have chosen the path of perma-rage.

THEY MADE PARALLAX A GIANT YELLOW FART CLOUD AND EVERYTHING LOOKED AWFUL AND IT’S FULL OF QUIPPY CRAP HUMOR AND DESPITE THE CONTROVERSY EMERALD TWILIGHT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SUPERHERO STORIES AND THEY BOTCHED EVERYTHING ABOUT GREEN LANTERN SO BADLY IT WILL NEVER GET ANY ADAPTATION IN ANYTHING BECAUSE THE ENTIRE CHARACTER IS POISONED ****ING **** **** I WILL DIE MAD.

[​IMG]

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, I was never so disappointed with an adaption of a comic property (even Catwoman and Elektra and Wolverine Origins were less upsetting) as when I watched that film. Never watched it again. And I really did like the run on Hal at that point (Even though Kyle was my favorite comic lantern and John was my favorite tv/live action thanks to the Timm series)

Mia Mesharad and Ramza like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I have a fairly complex relationship to Johns’ GL run (and most of Johns’ work that I’ve read, if I’m being honest), but ultimately it got me back into American comics after a long, weeby exile and it deserved better. Everything deserves better.

Yodaminch likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They released a film... in cinemas... with Tomar Re in it. Tomar Re. A major production company invested in a film with Tomar Re.

And I would rather watch surveillance footage of my mother being mugged than sit through that film again.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    “I don’t know what you’re talking about”

You then proceed to prove my point immediately after...

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Its even more upsetting when you consider it was one of the last films the late great Michael Clarke Duncan was in. And he was a great choice as Kilowog- even if the design of the character was terrible. Same for Tomar-Re being voiced by Geoffrey Rush. They were not lacking in talent or budget. The one thing I thought they couldn’t blow- story- is what killed the film.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003