main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Mandalorian and Grogu Box Office Thread - Releasing May 22, 2026

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Lee_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'll have to catch those two Godzillas; I actually think I might have them on one of my external HD's.

Skull island I saw, which was cool. Kong I have seen the movies all the way back, not so much with Godzilla.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think the Godzilla movies are pretty good-especially King of the Monsters. It really brings back that "big monster movie" feel IMO. Not perfect, but hits a lot of the right notes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is because you are wise and insightful and possessed of discerning taste.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    How much do I love that movie?

This much.
    [​IMG]

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Rogue Squadron better feature eight X-Wings taking on the Zillo Beast.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I want a movie where the Zillo Beast climbs the Death Star, and does battle with a fleet of Star Destroyers.

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I can actually visualise this. Escaping out of a landing bay and stomping around the outside surface of the Death Star. Climbing up a Turbo Laser tower, and swatting at TIEs zipping by.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After all, SW films always did include some sort of brief monster sequence (with the exception of one or two). Fits perfectly!

GregMcP likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have been thinking about this. I change my prediction to around 1 billion world wide

Lee_ likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m very pro-monster.

GregMcP and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Good change.

The recovery is continuing for the box office even as vast swaths of theaters are still closed (or at lower capacity), and many people are still hesitant to go to movies. There is little doubt that it will be booming again by mid-2023 provided there are no catastrophic turns for the worse in the pandemic situation.

Early Weekend Estimates: Mortal Kombat & Demon Slayer Pacing for Combined $35M+, Setting Pandemic Records for 'R' Movies - Boxoffice (boxofficepro.com)

‘Mortal Kombat’ Set to Give Warner Bros. Another Box-Office Win - Bloomberg
    “I think the worst is over,” Mooky Greidinger, chief executive officer of No. 2 global theater chain Cineworld Group Plc, said in an interview. “The question that we have now is how everything will fall into place and be adjusted for the new era following Covid.”

Greidinger doesn’t expect theater revenue to return to pre-Covid levels until at least later in 2021 or 2022, but he said strong interest in the few new movies that have come out suggests there could be a boom in moviegoing as the worst of the pandemic passes.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015

TX-20 likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ What a cheapskate.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    While some find the idea of box office unamusing, there is no denying the profound effects it has on the future of SW. The box office issues with Solo and TROS really changed the trajectory of the way SW productions would be released, especially Solo I think.

With Black Widow coming out in July, Disney is banking on the box office really kicking by then, but will be offering it on streaming as insurance if it isn't. Interesting list of summer movie releases, where the ones later in the summer have a better chance of being big hits at the box office.

Summer Movie Calendar 2021 << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I think you can bank on box office being back to normal 2 years from now when RS comes out.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What?

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I like Star Wars monster sequences.

18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Could this be the foreseeable model for Disney moving forward?

Lee_ and chrcharcor2 like this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    To some extent for sure. I don't think they will do that with ALL of their movies, but it's the same thing HBO is doing, the window to watch it streaming when it debuts in theaters.

The whole pandemic mix of theater/streaming movie releases will linger for a long time, and likely become permanent. To what extent that reaches, or what exact formula will be used remains to be seen.

Disney Plus recently had its first somewhat disappointing report of diminished sales, and is not selling at the torrid pace it started with. I'm sure they are adjusting to the competition here.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    2Cleva likes this.
  20. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Has there been a release date for Rogue Squadron announced as yet ?

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    December 22nd 2023.

Not sure if they specifically said that Rogue Squadron would come out on that date. But that is the day that is set for the next Star Wars movie, and this is the next Star Wars movie.

DarthKegs likes this.
  22. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Didn't think it would be that far away. At least we've got plenty other projects coming off between now & then.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think it was supposed to be December 2022, but everything got delayed one year due to Covid.

DarthKegs likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm hoping they used the extra time to work on the story and script. IMO, the sequel trilogy was rushed to completion and the storylines seem half-baked, might have turned out better with the traditional 3 years between films. RS has the opportunity to avoid that problem.

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012