main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hello my fellow Canadian!

Ohhhh! Fun! I don't normally drink during the week but these past two days have just made spiking my dinner drink necessary. Today hasn't been too bad so far... probably because I'm the only one doing office work today. But my hours for the week are actually up half way through tomorrow (and we aren't supposed to work overtime) so I might take a walk down to the liquor store about 300 metres away from my condo and see if I can spot anything new to treat myself with. I need it after this week!

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree group projects are the worst and don't have anything to do with real life work environment. All they do is serve to make some people do more work than they would if they were doing it by themselves and others get a decent grade for doing very little. I recently was looking at a Master's program I was interested in and they had old syllabi on the website. So many of the classes seemed to have group projects, I was shocked that was still happening in a Master's program. Basically I noped right out of there.

Hugs to everyone having a bad week!

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and amidalachick like this.
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I got my drinks and they are chilling in the fridge right now. I'm very happy about that. :p

Yep, sometimes you just need that little something extra to get through the day/week/year. I hope you found something good if you made it there today! :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I spent three hours fighting with a single task in a programming project tonight, going around in circles with three error messages repeating over and over and over again. By the time I solved it, it was 10:30 PM, I hadn't had dinner, or any food in 10 hours, and I had about 40 browser tabs open. Closing all those tabs was satisfying to my brain, but not to my stomach.

It's now 10:55 after I got everything committed and pushed to the group repository and opened the code review, and it's too late to hit a restaurant anywhere around here and I have quite literally nothing to fix at home because it's been literally a month and a half since I've made a proper grocery run because I've been so swamped with school and work. I'm going to have to stop by the grocery store (the 24-hour store closes at midnight because COVID) and find something fast and easy to fix. I also need a gallon of milk while I'm there.

amidalachick and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey all hope your all doing good

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Did you try yelling at that programming task? Sometimes when my computer is acting up, I yell at it and it gets scared and then starts working. You need to show technology who's boss! :p

amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yelling won't write correct low-level asynchronous Python code.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and gizkaspice like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yelling doesn't seem to fix any technology problems at all. Trust me, I tried.

It's Easter next week here so we started stocking up on wine and tsipouro. We also already started drinking it, because Covid.

Give us another year of lockdown and Mr Chyn and I will be committed alcoholics.

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hit it with a wrench? Works in the Sims!

Tomorrow is my first COVID shot. I'm trying to drink lots of water; heard that helps? Otherwise, I'm back from my parents. Dad is recovering well from his surgery; Mom's minor surgery she found unexpectedly painful, so she wasn't doing much. I hated to leave her like that, but there's a lot of RL stuff I needed to deal with, and for that I need to be home. The cat will need to be renamed Velcro; he is following me around and when I am seated, he has to have at least one paw touching me to make sure I don't move again.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I didn't. I ended up on an FREAKING IT chat for work that lasted into the GHDBCVFGDFG EVENING! That is the type of week it has been. I still spiked some orange juice with vodka though. I'm debating trying to make it down there after work today VS doing a different legal substance (in Canada) I have in my cookie jar ;)

Give me another week like this and I might be a committed alcoholic.

Good luck! Most people (myself included) dont have much issues with the first shot. Glad your dad is doing well and I hope your mom follows. Also, your cat sounds adorable!

I swear I am considering completely turning off my phone once my hours are up, just so that work cant contact me. My hours for the week finish at 3pm (2 more HOURS!!) today so you know it's been an absolute mess of a week. The weather isn't supposed to be great, but I'm considering turning off all forms of communication with other humans for the next 3 days (including this place). I need a break! Thinking of downloading some of my favourite fanfic, I recently got bit with a completely new idea in a new fandom so I might work on that, maybe have a movie marathon and work on some LEGO. Lets see if my communication addicted brain can do this!

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  11. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Once I tried to yell at my printer for not printing and it absolutely didn't work. You can't bargain with printers---they have a mind of their own. That's why cats like to sit on them.

I don't drink, but because of COVID I've been having too much caffeine which I probably should stop doing or go to bed early :p

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Many years ago when I was in high school, I had a Lexmark printer on the floor in my bedroom. It had two buttons: "power" and "paper feed", and two lights: "power on" and "out of paper". The cat we had at the time loved to play with it, and he was smart enough to figure out what each button did. I would frequently come home to a dozen sheets of blank paper lying on the output tray because he was playing with the paper feed button while I was at school. He also knew how to tell from the lights whether the printer was on or not, and if not, knew how to turn it on and wait for the startup sequence before he hit the paper feed button.

I later replaced it with an all-in-one unit with 23 buttons and a digital display. The cat was very confused, but I never found blank paper in my output tray again.

gizkaspice, amidalachick and Chyntuck like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Briannakin What did you end up treating yourself to now that your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week is over?

@Mistress_Renata It's good to hear that both your parents are recovering. Crossing fingers that all goes well from here and that your mother's pain goes away soon!

I did that hair dye job yesterday. My friend introduced me to the Korres hair dye she uses. Korres is a very popular local brand of cosmetics that I highly, highly recommend. It's available in every pharmacy here but I'd never tried their hair dyes. The one my friend gave me is black and indigo, which is similar to the one I used before, but the result is very different. My old dye would make all my hair black with a shade of very dark blue, whereas this one turned my black hair (or, well, what black hair I have left) even blacker and my grey-white hair very dark blue. I's whacky and funky and I'm loving it :D

amidalachick likes this.
  14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    So, some stuff happened today. We got a call this morning that my grandmother died. My grandmother whose house we used to go to almost every weekend when we still lived in Michigan. She was old, had dementia, and her health was failing, so it wasn't completely unexpected, but it still hurts a lot. I miss her.

I also got the second shot of the COVID vaccine today, so that's good I guess.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    my condolences @};-

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Chyntuck likes this.
  17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So sorry to hear this. It’s hard to lose that touchstone.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I ended up ordering a poke bowl and treating myself to a drug that is legal in Canada but not other parts of the world ;). I still might wander down to the liquor store today. I got nothing better to do and I don't think I feel like doing what I did the past two nights again.

I'm also going to try to FINALLY pull out some sewing. I haven't worked on any of my projects since before Christmas.

My condolences Cowgirl. She mattered so the hurt matters, even if it was expected.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Canadian maple syrup XXXX?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Moose Blood. Injected right into my veins.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Moose blood? Lol.

But nah, methinks that the substance in question is actually a plant, which is sometimes baked into brownies. The fibers can also be used to make rope, I think.

How am I doing? :D

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah.... (though this was baked into chocolate covered oreo!). I don't know how explicit I should be with my occasional stoner ways given this is an American site.

But I did manage to get to the liquor store today (I needed to get out for a bit) and they had new peach flavoured gin coolers. I'm a sucker for anything peach and they are quite nice!

But when I got back home I tried to work on some sewing... and then my blood sugar dropped very low and I ended up exhaused from the whole ordeal... so I had a nap. Just finishing up a fairly meh dinner, trying to decide if I want to try a crack at a new fanfic or just build lego mindlessly while I watch something I've seen before. My brain is feeling foggy so I'm leaning towards option 2.

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    My condolences @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 @};- AS everyone said, it's always sad to lose your older person, even when losing them is entirely foreseeable. Would you like to share a nice story about her?

This day went wrong right off the bat. I'm pickling some beets right now and I had them in a zip lock bag sitting on a plate on the kitchen counter. This morning I woke up to find out that there was a small hole somewhere in the bag, so I started my day with mopping up a puddle of beetroot brine that had dripped off the counter and covered the floor. On a positive note, my ziplock bag is now as tightly sealed as if I'd used a vacuum packing thingy. Oh, and I managed not to stain my clothes. That's got to count for something.

amidalachick and Gamiel like this.
  24. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Massive hugs @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, losing someone is hard, even when it is expected.

Today is ANZAC day in Australia (and NZ). All the shops are shut because it's a public holiday (pubs only open after 1 and some cafes may be open but they'll close early). This seems to take some people on our local Facebook page by surprise (it's been a public holiday for 100+ years now) It's akin to being surprised when Christmas day rolls around.

We got up and did dawn service at the end of our driveway which was nice. We were awake because of the kids, but I never set foot outside at that time, so the chill morning air was quite bracing and we got to listen to the currawongs, butcherbirds and rainbow lorikeets while we did the minute of silence.

That five minutes of being made to stop did not continue for the rest of the day. I've marked drafts (Year 12, so I actually have to think about feedback), baked banana bread, made plum butter and tried to tidy up the 2 year old's jigsaw puzzles while he tried to untidy them. Now finally sitting down to write and it's bed time.

Tomorrow?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  25. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother @Cowgirl Jedi 1701. Even when it's expected it's still hard to go through. [:D]

Chyntuck likes this.