main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Favorite Scene in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Force Smuggler, May 24, 2018.

1. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I was thrilled that the Kessel Run was included. If there were ever to be a sequel, I'd like to see Solo dumping Jabba's load of spice. (Sorry, Han ... er, Mr. Solo).

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The Kessel Run is my favorite scene in the movie, with the showdown on Savareen being my second favorite.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope that if they make a sequel to Solo, they don't include any more depictions of things from Han's past that have been referenced before. One of my main problems with Solo is that it feels like a checklist of things that were mentioned in the earlier films. Leave at least the dumping of the cargo unseen (that should also happen too late in the timeline for it to be believable to have Alden play the role anyway), and give us some new, hitherto unknown adventures of Han and Chewie.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think the movie barely gets away with it, but I would've preferred to have the milestones spread out over several films. Kind of like The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin.
    Especially since Solo feels like an introduction. It's got that "This was fun, but now I wanna see what comes next" vibe.
    It just doesn't make much sense to cram everything into one movie when it doesn't tell the whole story anyway.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I generally liked Solo, apart from the Kessel Run scene. That kind of gigantism really didn’t belong in this smaller story about Han’s early crime days, IMO. Just didn’t fit, narratively, tonally, or stylistically. Far too fantastically epic.

TCF-1138 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  6. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I agree, it's kind of ridiculous that that moment takes place at that point in the timeline, but the entire scene was so much fun to watch in cinemas.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well I can see how it works with Han early in his career stumbling into making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs ("Not if you round down, buddy!") as something he's basically milking his entire smuggling career for the next 10 years. Way to up his price on any job. Kinda like Al Bundy "four touchdowns in a single game!"

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I love the Kessel Run scene, I wish they'd used more of the theme from meteor chase in TESB which they used briefly., it would've really tied the new Han and the Falcon firmly together.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Lots of love for the Kessel Run.

It was alright. I thought they made it quite a mess of elements in an effort to make it more cinematic. Though the visual of the Star Destroyer in the corridor is perhaps the most impressive of the film.

Personally, I thought the escape/chase through Coronet early in the film was the best part. Well timed and choreographed. Excellent visuals. And one of the few points in the film where Han appears to act with his own agency, rather then being carried along by events.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. It’s the most underrated part of the movie.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Rio goes "You will never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookiee's lap" and Tobias is like "Heck yeah!!" ❤️

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I liked the Kessel Run sequence but loved the train heist scene, it really took the character back to his "western" roots when GL was developing Star Wars. I could see John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, James Stewart or any of the big 'cowboy' actors playing Beckett, Clint Eastwood playing Solo and Clint Walker playing Chewie's role. To newer audiences it should be likened to the train sequence in Back to the Future Part III, you just don't get westerns like that anymore.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The train heist scene is so much better than the Kessel Run. Pirates on swoop bikes thousands of feet in the air alongside a space train was very cool.

14. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The scenes with Dryden were the most interesting to me, in that he’s not mean, but rather quite hospitable. It’s all business, and yet the threat is very real should they fail.

I also really liked Han’s intro on Corellia. I thought all the production design was really well done, and it really did feel like I was glimpsing Han’s past.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    When Qi'ra calls the Shadow with her decoder ring and he answers like a boss, easily is the favorite scene in the film.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m listening to the first episode of the Star Wars Radio drama. Not sure I’ve listened to this since seeing Solo.

The series opens with Luke in the garage at the Lars Homestead listening to an Imperial Recruitment tape. Audio wise it’s basically what is heard when Han sees the Imperial recruitment center on Corellia. Instead of the imperial match it uses the imperial theme from the opening of A New Hope filtered so it sounds like it’s coming out of a speaker.

Pretty interesting that concept goes back to 1980 and even has Mark Hamill humming along to

17. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I enjoyed Han meeting Chewie. Once the stormtroopers mentioned "the beast" you knew who was down there.

18. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    And Moloch was a pretty good antagonist there, right? Between how menacing he seemed and his hounds, it seemed like real danger for Han and Qira to deal with.

I was going to say the scene with Luleo Primoc/Aurodia Ventafoli was amazing (I was about to start dancing in the theater with that song!) but then that reveal was pretty amazing indeed...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I rewatched this recently and my favorite Scene is still the Darth maul scene. Still so much potential

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Potential. If something comes of it and we can go back and say "This was the moment" I would agree.

Until then...it is hard...HARD pandering.

And I will go to my grave wishing it was Xizor instead.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Xizor would have been really cool, but the "oh ****!" factor would have been lost on the mainstream audience though, unlike Maul, whom most of the audience recognize.

22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Which is part of the problem for me with the scene. They dropped Maul in there hoping the shock value would generate buzz, probably to generate ticket sales.

Xizor...oh man...for people in the know...it would have been INSANE...and for people in the dark, they'd see the fanboys going berserk, and THAT would generate interest. If nothing else...the world would be left wondering who this mysterious green man is and why was he in charge?

Consider when they dropped Thanos in the Avengers credits...I'd bet 75% + of the movie going audience either didn't know him or only had a vague idea he was from a comic. Still created buzz.

Maul, on the other hand, was thought to be dead...and to the mainstream audience, his reappearance, where he really has no obvious reason to be other then the universe it is set in, left many people going "huh"?

I don't think Maul is nearly as interesting to the "mainstream" as they hoped. The only people who geeked about it were fans. And fans know Xizor too.

Xizor, forgotten since the canon reset, perfectly fit the moment.

Man...and just think if they introduced him there, then brought him back in Obi-wan as a shadow antagonist to both Vader and Obi-wan. He could bridge the 2 titles and bring it all together.

Instead, they definitively resurrected a character that, on film at least, is a one dimensional baddy who was a throw away minion from the start.

And with the outcome of Solo, Maul's future prevalence as anything but a cheesy cameo is nearly assured.

They went to the low hanging fruit instead of trying to make the universe a little more complex.

whostheBossk, wmu'14, miasma and 2 others like this.
  23. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Some of it too is we already knew Maul's fate. Obi-Wan kills him in Rebels.
    Also, I'm sure many had already made up their mind about Solo before the Maul scene. The Thanos cameo/intro takes place after a movie most loved. If the Thanos cameo/intro was placed at the end of IronMan 3, for example, I think there'd maybe have been a smaller buzz.

Anyways, my favorite Solo scene is the Falcon/Star Destroyer segment.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Personally, I was enjoying Solo right up until the Maul scene. It wasn't the greatest SW ever, but it was far more fun, exciting, and enjoyable than the worst SW movies. Then Maul showed up, and my eyes rolled at the ridiculousness of him surviving TPM. I had seen him in TCW so it wasn't a total shock, but even in a cartoon I couldn't accept he'd still be alive. I'd rate Solo as a much more enjoyable film if they hadn't put Maul in it.

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Qi'ra displaying Teras Kasi scenes.