main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books LOTF - Skippable Books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Destiny975, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Destiny975

Destiny975 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2021
    I just read Legacy of the Force Invincible (I haven't read the rest of the series), and I really liked it and wanted to read the rest of the books, so I was wondering - are there any books I can skip in the series?

AusStig likes this.
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    nope none are skippeable in this series as each has big changes happen. It's not like filler in between.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    You can skip bloodlines if you want. Maybe Tempest and Revelation.

Inferno is interesting and has some developments.

Sacrafice is a big one.

Exile sets up stuff later on. Furry wraps up a big subplot.

Betrayal starts everything.

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Bloodlines? That is one of the best in that series, at least right top with Invincible and Betrayal.

Xammer likes this.
  5. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    So the books I should read are:
    Betrayal
    Exile
    Sacrifice
    Inferno
    Fury

I've heard Bloodlines is about the Mando's (which I didn't really care for), is it absolutely necessary to read?
    To be honest, I want to read all of them, but it's really hard to find them in my country.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Leaving aside it's subjective goodness (unless you like Fett it's not), it doesn't advance the plot in any significant way aside from the founding of the GAG.

You heard correct. Same with Revelation. They have some interesting stuff with Ben, but you can skip them.

7. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

No both cannot be skipped as essential setups for major plots and characters. What are you doing there with such advice? Seriously?

I loved Bloodlines and I was no and am no Fett fan btw. So that has nothing to do with it.

8. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    So I should skip Tempest and Revelation and read the rest?

9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I stand by my first statement.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read all of them.
    Never skip.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Xammer likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This (Along with many reasons) i dislike the late Post Endor universe.

Sinrebirth and SiouxFan like this.
  13. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I'm surprised no one has said "all of them" yet - the sarcasm dial is turned way down in here.
    The correct answer is: it depends what you are looking for. If you want to get the whole story, you have to read all of them. Each book builds on the last (or at least intends to). It isn't structured as separate but interconnected stories, but as a serial. None of the books deal only with side plots, the main plot runs through all the books. The side plots, and especially the side characters, tend to run through each authors stories. The Mando stuff mostly happens in the Traviss books (Bloodlines, Sacrifice, and Revelation), for instance. If you are just trying to be able to follow the plot, you will probably be fine reading any of them, if you were able to follow and enjoy Invincible on its own. Are you trying to figure out in which books the most significant events occur? Or are you trying to put together a "best of" to get the highlights? Those would all lead to (or potentially lead to) different recommendations.

AusStig likes this.
  14. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    I'm trying to figure out which books are the best, considering I know most of the significant events from reading Invincible.

AusStig likes this.
  15. adalmentia

adalmentia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2020
    I would be tempted to say the whole series except Betrayal (and maybe Bloodlines)

16. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    I take it you don't like the series. Why?

17. adalmentia

adalmentia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2020
    Mainly for the gruesome characterization of Jacen Solo

18. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    None can be skipped - unlike NJO, this series is quite tight. Tempest, Fury and Exile are the most dragging, but each one moves the plot forward (also, Tempest fixes some continuity issues arising from the famous issue of Bloodlines having been finished before Betrayal).

Although, if you read Invincible with no prerequisites, all the advice on this thread may be quite pointless :p

(just realized that these emoticons are exactly the ones on the old Yahoo Messenger, which I was using when I started reading this forum and thus seemed then quite normal - now, in the age of ubiquitous Unicode emoticons, they seem quite quaint)

Daneira likes this.
  19. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Had I seen this thread a day earlier, I would have.

20. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I'm trying to think which books were most similar in style to Invincible, but it has been a while since I have read any of them. If you tell us more about what you liked, or other Star Wars stories you have enjoyed that might help us get a better idea of your taste and give better recommendations. I would say start with Betrayal, Tempest, Sacrifice, and Inferno - the other two books by the same author and the other two books that were originally hardcovers. Depending what you think of those could give better direction which ones to go for next.

When I saw you were the last poster, I thought you might.

AusStig and SiouxFan like this.
  21. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    I read the NJO, and I loved it. Generally, I like fast paced books with lots of action. Like I said earlier I don’t care much for the mandos.

AusStig likes this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ok, we've covered that you shouldn't bother reading them, the series is... not good. Based on Invincible, it might seem like the final battle of an epic series, but the actual journey there was unfortunately nowhere near that level.

If you really do want to read it, and you enjoyed Invincible (and NJO), then probably read #1- Betrayal, #6- Inferno, #7- Fury.

Technically the fifth and eighth books are important, but they're also mostly Mando sidequests and are just bad stories. Revelation might be the worst Star Wars novel I ever read (although I didn't read every single one, only 90% of the old EU ones).

There's something to be said for reading everything in order, if there was a decent story or a satisfying payoff, but not really. Seriously, LotF is nothing compared to NJO.

AusStig and Nom von Anor like this.
  23. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Everything after is....not as good. You should probably read Swarm War before LotF...the stories are independent, but it sets up the characterizations of the characters. You have to squint to really see it, but it sets it up all the same.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Anedon, AusStig and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. Destiny975

Jan 18, 2021
    That’s part of dark nest, which I didn’t read because I found the idea of a bug hive mind creepy. Is it as bad as I’ve heard?

AusStig likes this.
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Depends what you have heard. It’s not great. They are creepy, especially with how they deal with memories and Joiners, almost zombie like.

If you like action then you could enjoy most of LotF. Avoid the Travis books though, not much action lots of Mandy’s.