main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Tolkien] Hither & Yon: An Eventful Sojourn in Middle-Earth DDC 2021 (Gandalf)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 7, 2021.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Disclaimer: Borrowing with much affection and admiration!

Note: Thanks to @brodiew amongst others for this nifty title :D

--
    Prelude

As I departed the Undying Lands on a mission of succor to Middle-Earth little did I know the twists and turns my journey to Sauron's vanquishment would take. Nor could I have foreseen the unwavering loyalty and courage I would find amongst the inhabitants therein, of many diverse races: the immortal Eldar, the long-lived Men, and most unique of all, the inhabitants of the Shire.

+++
    :D

2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Promising start, curious where this will go. :)

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The inhabitants of the Shire are indeed the most unique of all[face_laugh]

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    One --

When I arrived at the Grey Havens, I found a bustling attractive seaside harbor and settlement.

Cirdan, the Shipwright, was renowned for building swift vessels which were able to withstand the most turbulent seas.

He welcomed me upon my arrival and over a fine repast told of his many adventures amongst the inhabitants of the near regions.

He then gave me a treasured item, crafted by the jewelsmith Celebrimbor, a ruby ring set in gold.

"It is endowed with the ability to ward off weariness and discouragement, and instills courage and fortitude against the Darkness whenever it encroaches."

I thanked him most sincerely; I had a prescience it would prove most useful.

+++

5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    And so the journey begins... :)

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Nice update, and I agree with Gandalf's prescience that the gift will prove most useful indeed...

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent update Nyota. I think you are capturing the spirit of Tolkien well and the wise voice of our favourite wizard.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much. [face_blush] :) I love Gandalf muchly.
    I was introduced to him and the amazing adventures of Bilbo when I read "The Hobbit" back in the day. That's how it all started. [face_love]

Tags for @brodiew \ @Anedon @devilinthedetails

You can put this on watch or get tagged if you're not online frequently.

Two --

On these strange shores, I met one whose inner and outer radiance reminded me of the ones I had left behind, for in fact, she was one such of this noble race who had journeyed to this land.

Galadriel, whose tresses were as noontide and whose eyes were keen as twilit stars.

She wore a ring of Power I discerned, since I now bore one of these.

It was a heavy burden but one I felt she was equal to.

I gave her a green gemstone from Yavanna, from across the seas.

"Yavanna is the steward of all growing things, fruits and flowers," I told her. "She had this gem crafted. Something portends that it is to reside with you."

Galadriel gravely accepted it. "Yes, I will hold it ... until its rightful owner arises."

+++

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    This entry feels very poetic. I love your descriptions of how radiant Galadriel is. Really captures her ethereal beauty and grace.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great posts showing Gandalf and his friends

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Three --

In what was formerly a verdant, pristine forest near the marches of Lothlorien, a darkness stirs. It settles over the land like a thick fog, infusing all with a nebulous but unmistakable foreboding.

We who have been tasked to guard and watch hope that it is not Sauron returning, but if it is some other threat, it is perilous indeed.

Saruman who resides in Isengard is vigilant. I trust him as a stalwart ally.

Galadriel and Celeborn are fearless and those in Rivendell are unflagging as they provide defenses against any would-be menace as well as a haven for the weary soul.

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Two

Galadriel, whose tresses were as noontide and whose eyes were keen as twilit stars.

I cannot explain it, but you captivate me in the Tolkien ficlets. I love Gandalf's voice. But it is not only that. It is the description of Galadriel. Your words give me goosebumps when you describe her mystical splendor. Excellent work.

Three

Saruman who resides in Isengard is vigilant. I trust him as a stalwart ally.

Stalwart ally, indeed. Gandlaf in headed toward a bitter disappointment.

You did a great job describing the ominous feeling Gandalf gets from the forest ( formerly a verdant, pristine).

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    In what was formerly a verdant, pristine forest near the marches of Lothlorien, a darkness stirs. It settles over the land like a thick fog, infusing all with a nebulous but unmistakable foreboding.

Love this part. Feels so mythic, poetic, and epic.

14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well written entires, really fits the spirit of Tolkien. =D=
    This is something I really miss in the movies, the poetic side.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Four --

Over the past winter, I helped a unique and stalwart race ... in a region named by the inhabitants the Shire. They are commonly called Hobbits or Halflings. They are gentle home-loving folk and are gifted with boundless hospitality and love any occasion for a party. I have been persuaded to entertain them with fireworks during Midsummer celebrations. I must confess that being amongst them provides a serenity and relaxation seldom found in this beleaguered land.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And those fireworks, famous for the Hobbits and disastrous for some

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's hard to think of anybody needing relaxation more than Gandalf.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the R&R. :)

Five--

I have most recently returned on a most perilous quest, tracking down the whereabouts of King Thrain II who had disappeared. I found him locked away in a very deep dungeon in Moria where he entrusted me with a map and a key to Erebor.
    This turn of events was made more dire when I learned that one of the 7 Dwarven Rings had been taken by the ominous power lurking in Mirkwood.

I thereupon promptly convened a meeting of the White Council and apprised them of this.

"We must take action while we can." I urged. "I believe this ominous threat is none other than Sauron resurgent."

Saruman downplayed the entire situation. "If it is Sauron, which I doubt, he can do little without his Ring of Power. That is long lost, doubtless at the very bottom of the Sea."

Saruman's voice held sway with the Council, the majority of whom decided to wait and watch.

I felt a deep foreboding at this course of action.

Of the Council, I could tell Elrond shared my misgivings.

"We must remain ever vigilant," he tells me in private.

"Yes," I agree somberly.

"I would hardly credit that Saruman would suggest such a cautious strategy in light of what you told us," he added thoughtfully.

"It is not what I expected or hoped, either. I only hope we will not regret it."

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Enjoying this so far! What a wonderful choice to do a Gandalf diary—he is probably my favorite character in The Hobbit and definitely one of them in all of LOTR. You've given him a wonderfully in-character and very Tolkienesque voice in all these entries, from his lovely meeting with Galadriel ( [face_love]—she's another fave of mine), to entertaining the Hobbits with pyrotechnics, to the tense situation described in this most recent chapter. Saruman definitely seems "sus" in this case (as the kids say these days), though it's encouraging to see that Gandalf can count on Elrond's support. Looking forward to seeing where this all will go next! =D=

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I did some catching up on the past two entries and enjoyed both!

"They are gentle home-loving folk and are gifted with boundless hospitality and love any occasion for a party. I have been persuaded to entertain them with fireworks during Midsummer celebrations."

What a perfect and charming description of the Hobbits that brought a smile to my face. That then grew into a chuckle as I pictured Gandalf entertaining the Hobbits with his famous fireworks=D=

And the plot definitely seems to thicken in the next chapter. Very ominous indeed how Saruman is downplaying the gravity of the situation, but at least Elrond shares Gandalf's misgivings, and their conversation together is very in character. As is Saruman's downplaying of the situation.

Looking forward to seeing where Gandalf's diary goes next!

21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Great writing, feels very Tolkien esque, been rereading LotR in the past weeks again. Really got sucked into it again.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Saruman already devious.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Tolkienesque-- I love that adjective! @};-

Six--

Meeting the currently exiled Thorin Oakenshield whose driving purpose was to regain his position as natural and chosen Ruler of the Dwarves under the Mountain.

"That thrice-cursed dragon Smaug has stolen our rightful treasure and bars any successful recovery of it most efficiently!" He told me over warmed spiced cider.

I reflected that certain dark forces would take advantage of such chaos to increase in strength.

"Will you help us? It will take more than pluck and resolve."

I agreed readily enough. I already had a plan forming ...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  24. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have been so remiss in keeping up with this! Which is to my loss, because this is such a beautiful account of Gandalf's time in Middle Earth thus far. [face_love]

I ADORE Gandalf and Círdan's friendship, so I loved this part. Círdan could find no better steward for his Ring than Gandalf, it's true.

And speaking of friendships I adore . . . [face_love] A most wise observation.

I have to echo brodie in calling your descriptions captivating! There's something just so Tolkein-esque about this line in particular.

[face_plain]

Ha! Indeed he does. [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

I already look forward to reading more! [face_dancing] [:D]

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Possibly the most important chance meeting in the history of Middle Earth. :)
    Actually been rewatching the Hobbit movies just this week...