main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends My Life Reclaimed ~Luke/Mara and others.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters with love and the idea from @mavjade & her fascinating EAD post where Mara was in the midst of finding out about her past/family.

I adopted this fascinating story and am running with it.

Luke and Mara are engaged at this point.

Timeframe: They're together as soon as they should have been, a couple years or so after TLC. :)

~~

Prologue:

Luke and I were talking about the differences between the Old and Jedi Orders and he said, "I didn't know much but I knew I wasn't going to take kids away from their families and have them cut off all ties. Training is one thing that needs to be done starting early, but that's no reason to sever their ties to their birth families so that there isn't any contact at all."

I frowned. "The Old Jedi Order had all kinds of strict rules it seems like. From what I've found out in Tionne's archives, what should have been recommendations or broad stroke principles were hard and fast rules."

Luke agreed. "And that kind of thing forcing choices that shouldn't be there to begin with made for impossible conflicts of loyalty."

There was a pause as Luke studied me closely. "Do you ever wonder or think about your family? Have you ever wondered about them?"

"Not really. I didn't give myself the luxury. I don't even have a flicker of an image." I sighed. "When I served the Empire, it was irrelevant in the extreme. When I started working with Karrde, it still was. I can't say I'm exactly curious, but I'm not deadset against finding out about them. I just don't think it's likely there's anything to find out."

Luke's blue eyes were tenderly sympathetic in a way I should've found irksome but didn't, oddly. "If there was a way to find out, for us to uncover the memories, would you want to?"

I answered, "That'll take some thinking over."

"Take all the time you need. I just want to be there for you, give you whatever you feel you need."

I gave one of my rare smiles. "Thanks for that."

+++

TBC

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    interesting beginning comparing old habits with new

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Nice. Looking forward to more.

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    "I didn't know much but I knew I wasn't going to take kids away from their families and have them cut off all ties. Training is one thing that needs to be done starting early, but that's no reason to sever their ties to their birth families so that there isn't any contact at all."

I love your Luke for such statements. [face_love]

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw! I loved the frank discussion of emotions you were able to show here. This is Luke and Mara at their best, and I love how they are able to lean on and support each other. [face_love]

This is a fascinating idea, and I love that you are picking up the ball and running with it. I can't wait to see where you plan to go from here! [face_dancing] =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    One:

I am not one to want closure for its own sake or to probe mysteries that can never be solved, and yet I am not one to back down from a challenge. Luke has always been interested in finding old Jedi lore, facts relating to past Academies and eras, to use these as learning points--things to avoid and examples to emulate.

The Old Republic and the High Republic were studies in contrast, one steeped in darkness and near extinction of the Jedi ranks versus a time of growth and optimism, whether warranted or not I could not tell.

Thinking of these things made me wonder if perhaps clues to my past could lend themselves to helping me grow as a Jedi in training and also as someone in a committed relationship.

So I took a deep breath and plunged, telling Luke I would be willing to explore any nascent memories and any traces in the old Imperial archives which were now housed in the NR Museum and Archives.

He smiled and embraced me, sending waves of tendeer support through our Force connection, which was never intrusive, more like a gentle breeze or the ocean waves.

+++

TBC

7. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    A great start to a very intriguing concept! It's so brave of Mara to face her past like that.

Very true. Luckily it seems that Luke has learned from the old Jedi Order's mistakes. ;)

8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    There's not much to this presently, so I'll simply say that the premise is appropriate. Investigating Mara's background, with Luke supportive and her skeptical, seems exactly how the issue would unfold. I also sympathize with Mara's impulse that there's likely little to find. I mean, it's hard to imagine Palpatine not being brutally thorough in terms of tying up loose ends.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, I am intrigued by this so far. Such an interesting premise to have Mara and Luke try to uncover more about her family and past. I imagine it will take a lot of digging deep to find answers and that the answers will spark some reflection and revelations for Mara as the story continues to progress!

I really love the dialogue between Mara and Luke on the old Jedi Order customs of things like having children leave their families very young for training and how that then leads into the discussion of Mara's own family, past, and identity. It's also sweet to see how supportive Luke is of her and respective of her choices, whatever they might be.

Mara's thoughts on the differences between the High Republic and Old Republic eras were also really fascinating.

"The Old Republic and the High Republic were studies in contrast, one steeped in darkness and near extinction of the Jedi ranks versus a time of growth and optimism, whether warranted or not I could not tell."

I look forward to reading more about Luke and Mara's discoveries. Keep up the good work!:D

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Brilliant, you continue this one! Yeah!

And you write such a wonderful Mara, willing to learn and to let go of old concepts! :)

11. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can't believe I missed this gem---I agree with @AzureAngel2 you write a great Mara (and a great Luke!). She's lucky to have such a supportive guy like him by her side as she probes into her past.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for such great reviews! @};-

Two:

With their Force connection, it was a pleasure for Luke to help Mara plumb the depths of her nascent memories through meditation. Their essences merged and they rode the swells of the Force, letting its eddies take them where it might.

These attempts hadn't been successful, unfortunately. It wasn't as if the memories had been purged, so much as perhaps, more than likely, she had been taken from her birth family at too tender of an age.

Luke had found his and Leia's extended family on Naboo and wanted Mara to have that kind of experience with her own relations, whomever and wherever they might be.

Mara shrugged. "Well, if they were living obscure lives and escaped Imperial notice, they probably wouldn't make the connection ... any reaching out would have to come on their end."

Luke agreed.

It wasn't long after this when news of a fascinating find swept through the HoloNet. A unique world on the brink of the Unknown Regions, the world of Lira San.

"Just think, helping the Lasat refugees reclaim their heritage and home!" Tionne Solusar enthused. The entire venture stirred her historian's soul and her compassionate nature.

Mara felt something kindle. What a way to somehow make reparations for what the Empire had taken. She wanted to be part of this grand and noble venture.

She suggested this to Luke. "Let's help with this."

He squeezed her breathless. "What a marvelous idea!"

Mara felt that even though her personal quest to recapture her elusive past had been thwarted, her present and future were full of promise and soul-deep fulfillment.

+++
    Fini

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Mara looking towards the future nice and a great ending for a short story

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's only fitting that my first review on the boards after such a long absence would be on a story of L/M written by Ny! This is such a great concept of Mara unable to find her past and looking to the future. As Mechalich said above, Palps would have been thorough at tying up loose ends. However, both Luke and Mara would definitely deem it worth it trying to find if there was something to find in the first place, and neither would feel lesser if their search was inconclusive. When I saw the title I expected that Mara would actually be able to find her past, but it was a wonderful twist that she would reclaim a free future instead. Great little story :)

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much!! I loved giving Mara a future with a meaningful and altruistic pursuit and sharing Luke's Jedi journey. :)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw! I loved catching up on this today. [face_love]

Of course it makes sense that Palpatine wouldn't have left any loose ends behind. Undoubtedly, Mara's family is long gone in any way she can connect with. Even so, it was just so beautiful, how earnestly Luke wanted to help her reclaim any past bit of herself, like how he's come to know his maternal family. While Mara may not have found the origins of her birth, she's drawn closer to her husband - her family of choice - and she's throwing herself into a life of service, choosing to help those who've suffered as she suffered. It was a very fitting conclusion, one that was a very pleasant surprise! I'll admit that I wasn't sure just what the outcome of her search would have been until that point.

Really well done! I enjoyed this story very much. =D= [:D]

17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    What a lovely conclusion! [face_love]

Beautifully written.

Although it's bittersweet that Mara couldn't find her birth family, it's a perfect ending to have her facing the future with Luke and her chosen family. I love the mention of Lira San too. Awesome job on this! =D=

Kahara likes this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks. I love having Mara helping with such a wonderful project! :cool:

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  19. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'm reading from my phone, so I have trouble quoting text to point out exactly where up there, but... you had "deadest" when you might have meant "deadset"

And I loved this exploration of Luke trying to help Mara find her family, even if they failed to do so. [:D]

Kahara likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I too enjoyed exploring this... I think if they didn't at least try there'd always be a what-if. [face_thinking]

Kahara likes this.