main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    All right, everyone, it's time to VOTE on OTP Challenge #19: Romcom... In Space! And what a stupendous challenge this was, giving us a whopping eleven (11) stories in-competition:
    We also had two out-of-competition (ad-hoc) entries, which are under this spoiler cut to avoid confusion with the votable ones:

As usual, here's what to do: PM your vote to this sock by 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on Wednesday, April 28. (So you'll have about two weeks to read and vote.) Any JCF member may vote, whether they participated in the challenge or not, whether they are fanfic writers/readers or not.

Here's what not to do: vote more than once, vote for more than one thing, vote for yourself, vote using a sock as well as your normal account, vote for something out of competition or not part of the challenge, etc., etc.

Here's when the winner will be announced: on or about April 29 (barring all RL catastrophe).

So, happy reading and voting, and may the romcoms be with you! :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi again, everyone! Technically I should have posted this yesterday (sorry about that!), but we now have just about a week left to vote on Challenge #19 (see the post just above this one). We've had four votes come in so far, and I would love to see more! :D

3. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And me again! Just two days left to vote after today! Get ’em in! :D

4. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And today, folks, is the last day to vote! Just a friendly reminder from your local neighborhood sock! We're up to eight votes... any more to come? :D

5. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    ALL RIGHTY DOO! I am pleased to announce that OTP Challenge #19 has a winner, and that winner is:
    Congratulations, Gabri! Let's give her a round of applause. =D= And kudos to all our wonderful participants for an A-1 crop of stories! Thank you all for helping make this yet another amazing OTP challenge experience!

And now, a brief...

Next Challenge Format Poll

Our next challenge will go up this weekend. In preparation for that, I have a nice little one-question poll for you. The challenge is once again going to be of the "choose a prompt from a list" type, so please tell me if you prefer:

(a) Choosing a number and receiving a prompt at random, with only one prompt per person and one person per prompt (as done in our Landscape of Love and Distant Beloved challenges)? Or
    (b) Choosing whichever prompt you like from the list, with more than one person being able to choose the same prompt (as in our Things You Said and Milestones challenges)?

If you let me know your preferences by 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on Saturday, May 1, I will plan to put the challenge up on Sunday, May 2, using whichever of these formats the majority decides. As always, if you have comments or questions, by all means let me know. Thanks so much, and looking forward! :)

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Congrats to @Gabri_Jade[face_party]And well done to all our participants=D=

As to the poll, I would probably prefer option b of choosing whichever prompt you like from a list with more than one person being able to use the same prompt.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEAGE to @Gabri_Jade for the L/M and Talon/Shada goodness! All the entries were scrumptious! [face_love]

Format-wise I like option B. :)

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Congratulations @Gabri_Jade and kudos to everyone who entered!

I’m going to opt for B, as well. I do enjoy a good roulette style challenge, but with Darth Real Life being what it is at the moment, I think having an open choice would give me a better chance of success.

9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Congratulations @Gabri_Jade :)

I prefer Option B as well.

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Congratulations to @Gabri_Jade! Well done! Also thanks to the participants on enthralling reads. :)

11. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Look at you go, @Gabri_Jade! ;)

Congratulations, dearest! [:D] [face_dancing] TBD is a truly adorable and clever little vig, and I so enjoyed watching it come to fruition! :D

And great job to all the participants! I love the creativity of these prompts and the responses!

The roulette style prompts have been really great for my muse, so I'm going to go with Option A, but I see I'm in the minority there. :p

12. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Congratulations, @Gabri_Jade!

I am emerging from my hole in the ground (known as PastPerfect Museum Software) to put in my vote for Option B.

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Thanks very much, everyone [face_blush] It's an honor, especially out of such a rich field of entries [:D]

Casting my vote for option B as well :)

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_not_talking]

(jk, love you [face_batting])

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Congratulations to @Gabri_Jade and well done by all who took part! =D=

So, being the sock host, I am going to abstain from voting one way or the other in this poll, but I appreciate that you all are doing so—it's very helpful in terms of knowing how to proceed, so keep it coming! Cheers! :)

16. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Congratulations @Gabri_Jade! That was such a fun, awesome vignette. :D Way to go! =D=

And a big round of applause to all the participants! I enjoyed all of these stories so much and it's always great seeing all the creativity these challenges inspire. =D=[face_love]

Finally, for challenge format, I have to go with the crowd here and say option B. A more open prompt format seems to be easier on the muse these days. Thank you for all the work you put into these wonderful challenges! @};-

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Congratulations, @Gabri_Jade! Yours was a fantastic story amongst several such gems. Really, truly well done! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

*mumbles* I kinda like option B as well . . . */mumbles*

BUT, that said, this thread has produced several fantastic challenges of both varieties and I know that either option will yield wonderful results. I can't wait to see what our esteemed hostess comes up with next! :D

18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats @Gabri_Jade!

I also have to go with option B. I love me a classic roulette challenge... but my muse and general brain state these days has made me hesitant to pick numbers I know likely wont produce anything (and that's 100% a reflection of my mental and physical state... not the prompts themselves). At least with B I can see what sparks something... if anything.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    :eek:

:p I do agree that either option would yield some great stories, and even though I've missed out on most of the past challenges, I love the variety I've seen of both styles. ;) Can't wait to see what the next one is!

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Congratulations @Gabri_Jade! A very much deserved win.

I don't mind A or B. I think my muse would prefer B at the moment though, because it's being rather fickle at present!

21. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    All righty doo! Thank you all for your poll responses, which have been invaluable in helping me format our next challenge… which is right here, right now! Many thanks to @Raissa Baiard for suggesting this one and helping me come up with the prompts. @};-

OTP Challenge #20: It’s a Date!

There’s nothing like a good date night with the one you love! Sometimes dates can be perfect, quiet moments to bask and bond—and sometimes, of course, they can Go Rong. In this challenge, you are welcome to write about either case! Simply choose your pairing, choose one of the prompts/types of dates below—or come up with your own—and off you go!

Dinner and a holo (or movie, for Earth-based fandoms)
    Night at the opera/theater/symphony/etc.
    Pop (or equivalent) concert
    Quiet dinner at home
    Sporting event
    Formal gala/ball
    Picnic
    Double date
    Blind date
    Workplace holiday (or similar) party
    Beer/wine/liquor/etc. tasting
    Gallery exhibition
    Romantic walk (the setting is up to you)
    Wedding (or other life-cycle event) of friend or family member
    Going out for tea/coffee (or equivalent)
    ...or choose your own!

It's OK for more multiple writers to choose the same prompt. It's also, as always, OK for multiple writers to write the same pairing (though if you want to borrow OCs, please ask their creator first). And, as always, the TOS applies. (But you knew that!)

This challenge will run for eight (8) weeks, with stories due on at 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on June 27. A two-week voting period will follow.

Have fun! [face_dancing]

Challenge Index
    Those Three Words by ViariSkywalker (Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker)
    Hocquet Night by devilinthedetails (Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker)
    Anarchists and Aristocrats by Anedon (OCs Ilona and Tobin Malek)
    Five Worst Dates by Kit’ (OCs Kithera Rinani and Del D’ladame)
    Beauty of the Game by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (Star Trek; Spock and Nyota Uhura)
    A Ride to the Pond by earlybird-obi-wan (OCs Kaagi Adin and Aranella Neral)
    Too Much Work = Too Little Attention by Adalia-Dutton and darthbernael (OCs Tiber Ordgwal and Zara Chrischa-Ordgwal)
    16 Very Short Stories about Dates by amidalachick (Stranger Things; various pairings)

Out-of-Competition Index
    Dinner at the Hungry Hutt by Chyntuck and Findswoman (OCs Eliskandro Fasolia Faké and Bonvika Deseradii Feolla)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  22. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    So, basically, this means: MOAR FANCY DRESSES!? Yep, I'm totally reading that right. ;) [face_batting]

This is another fantastic challenge that I'm so excited to write for! Now the trouble is picking out a single prompt. (And not writing for them all.) That said, please someone give me a virtual swat if I even breathe the words short story again. This time around I'm putting the self-imposed challenge of just writing a vignette on myself - not an uber-epic 10k+ word "one-shot", either, but a vignette.

Yeah . . . we'll see how that goes. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  23. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    has her interest peaked.

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    That's how I'm reading it. [face_mischief] [face_batting] [face_whistling]

25. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host