main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I see the context now. I would use the reverse order, where the noun is placed before the adjective, as that is the more common way to write it in Latin.

Out of curiosity, is this some sort of an order of prophets, @Gamiel?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Kit' I shoudl have mentioned that my own Latin is pretty rusty and that I'd forgotten about the 4th declension altogether :confused: But genitives are a fact of life in Greek, so I couldn't forget about that if I wanted to.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Funny enough, in Serbian people tend to add genitives in possessive forms, where one SHOULD simply create an adjective out of a given name. And it's wrong. Very wrong. Pretty much wrong in any Slavic language. We have five types of genitives, but in this context, they would be jarring and a sign that the person using them is not well-read etc.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have to admit that it's for something non SW related but this place is the one where I know there are Latin speakers. But that's an interesting idea, will put it away for later

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] Does anyone remember the story where Piett has a pet kitten? [face_mischief] I want to use that in a mention for a challenge entry I'm working on. 8-}

gizkaspice likes this.
  6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Could it be @Chyntuck ‘s Feline Trouble? It’s Admiral Ozzel’s cat, but the story features Piett prominently.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Was just about to answer and suggest the same story! :D

ZV-83, Chyntuck, gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That one is where Ozzel has a cat.

The one with Piett and cats is Tookas in a Box.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This might be a bit obscure but several people here have seen The West Wing so might be worth a shot. I need an event that happens during the show (either Bartlet's administration or the Santos campaign) that is memorable enough that political pundits, the President and other political nerds would remember/be aware of 50 years later, but also insignificant/obscure enough that the First Gentleman (who knows nothing of politics) could conceivably forget or be completely unaware of (when asked by the media). I'd prefer something a bit more lighthearted, a victory, or even something funny or "historic" (in that universe). I thought maybe the kidnapping of Zoey or Sharif's Assassination but both are a bit too serious for my liking. I was thinking CJ being the first female Chief of Staff but I wanted to see if anyone else had any brilliant ideas.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just realised something. It's virtually impossible for me to get into some well-established AUs and various custom settings because the authors assume that everybody knows what they are writing about. And it makes me feel bad, like I am avoiding this or that person or something, which I'm not. I just feel dumb. :eek::eek::eek:

12. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    On a similar note of the above, I have a question regarding how much information do you provide to a reader if they might be unfamiliar with the material but you want them to enjoy the story without spending time Googling things up or having to read previous stories? I feel like just spoon feeding the reader in that case, but at the same time I also don't want to spend time explaining the who what where and why in huge detail. Sometimes I see others include a link where the reader can learn about the subject matter, but I'm also wondering how other authors approach this?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I use links for things I don't have time to explain (and would feel strange to stop the story for), so people can look it up themself and know where to look. I have done this both for IU things (obscure characters in Marvel fics, seldom used species in SW) and for real life things I don't know if people know what its (non-everyday, for the anglo-sphere, clothes)

gizkaspice likes this.
  14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Generally, contextual information should be included in the body of a story if it is A. essential to the story and B. it is not reasonable to assume a reader would be familiar with that piece of lore. For example, something that traces to the OT should never need further explanation any Star Wars fanfic, because it can be assumed that the entire audience is properly familiar with that work. Likewise, if you put a tag with the story that says you're using characters from some specific other work - like Rebels or the Thrawn Trilogy - then you're already directed the reader to the primary sources they should consult. It's only when you're pulling in lore from some other part of the franchise that your story isn't directly referencing when clarification becomes important (this is especially necessary when crossing continuities, as the same thing might have two slightly but significantly different meanings).

gizkaspice and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I add footnotes. And I agree with Mechalich, unless it's a super-obscure detail. But my problem is mostly with who the characters are, especially if the story doesn't have the title, characters etc thing. It's like a box dropped from outer space, I opened it and I have no idea what it is.

GregMcP and gizkaspice like this.
  16. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks all! That's super helpful.
    This is my problem, too. I'd love to read the story but who the hell are these people?! [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Is there any humanoid species or cultures that people can think of off the top of their heads that rely heavily on favours rather than money? A whole species based on quid pro quo?

gizkaspice likes this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I have a story in my head that involves a Kit Fisto-ish character, but I'd like to set in the High Republic era so I can't actually call the character "Kit Fisto".

Which means I have to describe a whole lot. Looks, abilities, attitude and so forth, which is fine, but if I could say "Kit Fisto", then the reader instantly knows a whole lot. They know the toothy cheeky smile, the green, the dreadlocks. It's a big shortcut.

You can play on the readers familiarity with characters when it's obvious, I think, but when it gets a bit obscure you've got to give them more hints.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    gizkaspice likes this.
  19. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey, so I have another idea I wanted to run by you guys. It involves some aspects that have already been considered in the past but I wanted to apply my own personal twist to it.

There have been theories in the past that Padme is force sensitive. I feel the strongest indication of this is during ROTS when Padme and Anakin are starring at each other from her apartment and the Jedi Temple respectively. The scene indicates that Padme knew Anakin was there and that they felt each other, similar to how Leia knew where look was at the end of ESB. This indicates that she did have at least a limited degree of sensitivity to sense Anakin, but ultimately I feel she was not strong enough with the Force to be a Jedi. In addition (and this is debatable I admit), before she died she said that there was still good in Anakin despite him becoming Vader. The only other person to say that was Luke, who was able to sense the good in his father.

It has already been established that Padme had more midichlorians than any person ever when she was pregnant with Luke and Leia. My idea is that while Padme was pregnant that she feed off of the Force energy from the twins to enhance her limited Force powers to potentially become the most powerful being in the galaxy. I know there have probably been plenty of cases where people were pregnant with Force sensitive children and didn't get any powers, but I feel it would be different her in that Padme is pregnant with the TWO offspring of the chosen one and is potentially carrying over 40,000 midichlorians. Granted, she would lose her powers the moment she gave birth to the babies.

Part of my inspiration for this came from the X-men show the Gifted where Polaris' powers where increasing because she was pregnant and from the Flash where Cecile's meta-human powers activated when she was pregnant (I get that its a different genre).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Impressive theory - so her death is something separate that she couldn't change ... ?

21. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    I am not saying Padme was actually Force sensitive. I am just rewriting and rearranging facts for my story. Also, in my story Anakin doesn't become Vader and doesn't choke Padme.

In Legends, the Empire Reborn was able to give Force powers to Shadowtroopers, who were people with limited Force sensitivity, by implanting Artusian crystals in their suits. These crystals were infused with the power of the Valley of the Jedi, which was a concentrated area of Force energy due to the souls of over 100 Jedi and Sith being trapped by Lord Kaan's thought bomb. I feel the concept with Padme and her unborn children is similar to this.

I am just wondering if something like this seems feasible/plausible and not just do it for the sake of doing it. Like how people cannot just use a blood transfusion from a Jedi/Sith to gain Force powers as was tried with General Grievous.

22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This sounds like the soundest reason for the idea, as you say, because watching it in the theater:padme: I thought that the implication was two-way, that is, not just from Anakin to Padmé but vice versa.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any suggestions on how to make a culture feel bronze age Greek-area-ish?

Taggin @Chyntuck as the main Greek here

pronker and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Gamiel I'd say you want your culture to be physiocratic (nature-worship) and essentially matriarcal, since female figures are dominant in Minoan, Cycladic and Mycenaean works of art. You also want large palaces and lots of frescoes with vivid colours, obviously. The National Archaeological Museum in Athens has a very nice and varied collection of art from this period here (go to Cycladic, Thera or Mycenae under "prehistoric antiquities"). The Cycladic era also has those Brancusi-like stylized statuettes (again, mostly female) which I think could be useful to add an extra element of mystery. The Mycenaean stuff is more militaristic than the other two and bizarrely includes a cuter cartoonish element with the phi and psi-type figures.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Exeter, pronker and Gamiel like this.
  25. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    A while back the idea came into my mind about the possibility of Cad Bane being Force-Sensitive. I based this on how on two separate occasions he was able to dodge blaster bolts redirected at him and how he was jumping around doing somersaults during his fight with Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos. I was thinking about the incorporating this notion into my story and possibly having Aurra Sing train Bane in the ways of the Force. In Legends, Aurra Sing was a former Jedi Padawan who left the order to become a bounty hunter and developed a strong hatred of Jedi for abandoning her to pirates. The only thing I am unsure of is if this would be out of character for Aurra. I am assuming Aurra and Bane crossed paths on multiple occasions through working numerous jobs (not just freeing Ziro and teaming up with Maul) and also because the underworld is a small community. There is also the possibility that Aurra and Bane could've been lovers (I'm assuming Hondo wasn't Aurra's only one). Such closeness would allow for the opportunity to provide some training to Bane, I am just wondering if its something Aurra would bother doing. If she did, they probably wouldn't become full-fledged master and apprentice like Kanan and Ezra did. Bane would probably be interested in anything that could help him make more money, but is there any real reason Aurra would train Bane?

Emperor Ferus and pronker like this.