main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by SG-17, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No one in here is a scientist or statistician, nor has conducted any proper research into the subject of discussion, and therefore ascribe whatever bias they hold to their conclusions based on very little information.

Got it.

2. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    This is a discussion board for a sci fi series, not a college class or government institute. Trotting out charts and graphs is pointless in a place like this, because it always devolves into "Eh, I reject those particular findings." But there are two certain things that can't be denied, which is: Marvel sells lots of toys and Mandalorian sells lots of toys.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's just as pointless as trying to come to a definitive conclusion based on sales. There isn't enough information to decide anything. Everyone just states what they want to believe, so arguing over it is a waste.
    That's true. But who is buying the toys? Is it adults or kids? Adults have the disposable income, and are much more into collecting. Adults have much more anger towards the ST, and therefore a reason to not buy those toys. Kids don't care about such things. We don't know for sure, but I'd say it's very possible that Disney/Star Wars is having trouble winning over the PAST generation of "kids".

4. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    I definitely agree with you.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I don't know about that. They retconned Thrawn, that's a plus in my book and the Clone Wars got a proper send-off.

6. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    They're winning me over, and I was massively let down by the sequels... to the point where I don't even watch them - I haven't seen either TLJ or TRoS since theatres. They seem to be finding their groove now. Even in the ST days, I thought there was a big disconnect between the ST/Resistance side of things and the R1/Solo/Rebels side - almost as if they were produced by completely different studios.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  7. beskarmando8

beskarmando8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2022
    I think that Star Wars will always get new fans. Now, do a lot of kids these days prefer Marvel over SW? Quite possibly. Do they at least watch Star Wars, and are there still dedicated fans? YES! As long as the money rolls in, Disney will keep making Star Wars. I think the reason why a lot of kids prefer Marvel over SW is because they are two completely different things. Jedi refrain from using their power when it isn't necessary. They protect all lives, even those against them. They do their best to resist the darkness in them. Does this seem as "cool" to kids as a bunch of superheroes beating people up? Probably not, but that's why they are two different franchises, belonging to two different genres.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If I had to sum up what the "kids" are into these dies from the very small sample size I have of my step-daughter, my friends' kids, and co-workers' kids: it's Roblox and anime (all anime together, all at once as some monolithic entity).

In that regard, everything that isn't a mobile game or Japanese animation must be failing.

Having said that, by the time I become aware of something the "kids" are into, they're usually over it.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ironic. There have been some official manga and like 3 hours of anime released for Star Wars.

Star Wars will be fine. It’s survived 3 generations. It will survive another.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.