main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Maybe Bane romances Aurra with an ulterior motive?

2. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    So in my story I have been entertaining the notion of characters who weren't actually Force-Sensitive in canon in fact being Force Sensitive, including Han Solo, Padme, and Cad Bane. The thing I am wondering is if these characters were born in the Republic, wouldn't the Jedi Order have taken them in at a young age to be trained? I know the Jedi had a list of all the Force Sensitive children in the galaxy which is how they found recruits. Did the Jedi recruit every single child that was on the list or did they only recruit a handful from the population? Basically, if you were a Force Sensitive being born in the Republic, was it inevitable that the Jedi would recruit you?

I was looking up the Dark Acolytes (Dooku's Dark Jedi followers during the Clone Wars) to see if they were all former Jedi or Force Sensitives that popped out of nowhere. Several members were former Jedi who left the Order, including Quinlan Vos, Sora Bulq, Kadrian Sey, and Tol Skorr. There was also Asajj Ventress and Sev'rance Tann, both of whom were not born in the Republic and not part of the Jedi Order. Others like Artel Darc, Trenox, and Karoc and Vinoc were provided no background information as to whether they were former Jedi or not.

I am just trying to figure out if all Force Sensitive children in the Republic were collected by the Jedi or were there any who slipped through the cracks. If a Force Sensitive child wasn't taken in by the Jedi, would there be reasoning behind it?

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  3. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    So I resolved this question myself with regards to Padme. In Legends, it said that she and her family grew up in an isolated mountain village on Naboo. I figured if Padme's family was separated from the main societal part of Naboo, they wouldn't be subject to the same health and Midichlorian tests that someone born in Theed would be. So if Padme was Force Sensitive, I feel she would've been able to escape detection from the Jedi Order.

So in my story, Padme discovers her Force Sensitivity growing up but chooses to keep this a secret so that she can focus on her political career and helping the Republic in her own way. It isn't until after she confesses her love to Anakin that she tells him her secret. So I am wondering if Anakin would offer to train Padme to use the Force. At this point, the Clone Wars has just began and Anakin and Padme are only able to spend limited time together. Not to mention that Anakin already has Ahsoka as a full-fledged apprentice. Anakin would not teach Padme lightsaber training but probably at least basic Force techniques. How much do you think Anakin would be willing to teach Padme under the given circumstances? In addition, would Padme accept Anakin's offer to train her if he extended? She obviously has no interest in being a Jedi and would prefer to help the Republic in the Senate, but would she at least accept any insight Anakin could give her?

pronker likes this.
  4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    First, thanks for dredging up fond memories of Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice series because I was sure one of the stand alone books in the run handled Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon retrieving a baby whose parents originally agreed to give her away and then quibbled about it. Some answers to Obi-Wan's question of 'what happens to the children who do not come to the Temple?' involve Qui-Gon's answer (paraphrased) some are lost in life because they feel things they do not learn how to handle and others deny the Force to go on to unfulfilling lives. Here's a review on TFN.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the Darth Maul comic had a character that said he could have been a Jedi but he was found to late and was considered to old to take in.

I think it's established that the Jedi only take children that are given them to by the parents/wards/orphanages/similar, so there are likley many who don't want to hand over their children and therefor don't. It's likley not the same great honour to have a child taken in by the Jedi during the last centery of the Republic as it was during earlier times.

6. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    I thought consent by parents was unnecessary. Didn't Republic law grant Jedi the authority to take children into the Order without the parents' permission?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have not seen any stated point to either, by people that should know instead of people that just think. But based on Qui-Gon's interaction with Shimi and the perents in the TCW episode where Cade Bane tried to kidnap Force sensitive children do I think it points to that Jedi need the parent's/permission to take the child.

8. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    "The classic, all era board. Reply-only--current stories may continue as they are; all new stories should be posted in the appropriate era... contact a mod if you have questions!"

So... Where are these, "appropriate eras," of which you speak?

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    It might be a left over from when we had three boards (one for each era) but when you post a story now in the Fanfiction boards you should be able to select the appropriate era/s for your fic from the tag system at the top of each post.

10. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Somehow I published without the "Beyond Legends" tag... How do I add that?

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Contact one of the mods like @Mira_Jade and ask if they can do it. They are super helpful with fixing stuff like that.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  12. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you.

Mira_Jade and Kit' like this.
  13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    That is something we can definitely fix and are all too happy to! Beyond-Legends is the one you want? :D

pronker and Kit' like this.
  14. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    My story is from the Old Republic era, 3 or 4 hundred years AFTER KOTOR (Revan). So, Beyond - Legends should be the correct tag. Yes?

Mira_Jade likes this.
  15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You got it! All fixed. :D

pronker likes this.
  16. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you, so much! :)

pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I would like to write a character who cannot speak (no telepathy or anything, either), read or write. I considered 'her other senses compensate by getting sharper,' such as hearing, touch, smell, sight, etc., but wonder if anybody entertains other notions? I've not decided if the condition existed from birth or came later, or how it began ... :confused:Hints profoundly appreciated! :D

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why should her senses gett sharper just becouse she can't speak?

pronker likes this.
  19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I've heard hyperacute senses ascribed to the blind, especially. It may be a misconception or profound admiration for those people who live with disabililties.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, but speaking is not a sense.

pronker likes this.
  21. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I’ve taught kids who were mute and no other sense gets sharper. Just a general frustration at the world because they can’t communicate easily. If you want there are quite a few articles by people who have chosen to take vow of silence and what they found - that might be helpful.

Talking isn’t a sense and it’s very much an evolutionary advantage but not a necessity. Therefore the body doesn’t really need to work around it (plus I think the whole other senses become sharper is a bit of a myth from what I’ve read.)

It’s fiction though so do what you want. If it’s speech then the counter most people would point to would be hearing.

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I beg your pardon. The word 'ability' suits the notion better.

+Kit' Thanks for the reply, especially about the frustration.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's not as much as the senses became sharper, it's more that you train/use them more. Even people with sight can train their other senses to that sharpness, but they seldom do. TMU.

Lose/lack of speaking ability would not be any reason for the senses to sharpen, but could lead to an increased facial expressions as you try to conway what you want, unless you are trained in sign language, or can write. I begun a fic (unposted) with a mute character who used cards with printed answers on them for standard expressions, like: "yes", "no", "the other one", "that cost extra", etc.

Your concept is about a mute character but since most deaf people are also mute could this may be of interest: Transcript: Deaf in the Soviet Union | (srbpodcast.org)

pronker, Tarsier and Adalia-Durron like this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Fine observation here - your character, posted or not, seems lively. My character cannot read or write, but certainly can emote and hear; still undecided whether the condition is inborn or acquired ... hmmmm ...

As a girl, I would answer the doorbell for mutes (deaf, I guess, too) who would come house to house selling small cards with the hand signs for the alphabet printed on them. I've not heard about anybody doing this lately.

25. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    So I had a question regarding lightsaber crystals. We know that blue and green are the most common colors we see throughout the star wars franchise, but there have been some variants:

Purple - Mace Windu's lightaber
    Green-yellow - Ahsoka's shoto
    Light blue - Tera Sinube's cane
    Yellow - Temple Guard saber staff, Ventress' purchased lightsaber, Rey's lightsaber
    Black - Darksaber

We know that other colors exist, as shown in the Fallen Order game where crystal colors Cyan, Magenta, Indigo, and Orange are available. Are all other colors besides standard blue and green considered to be rarer which is why we don't see them as often or not at all? I was just wondering if I wanted to give a character a different lightsaber color from the standard blue/green and if there should be meaning behind it if it was a rarer crystal. Are there other instances in Canon (not Legends) of Jedi wielding lightsabers other than blue and green? (Note: Ahsoka's white lightsabers don't count as they obtained the color after she healed the red inquistor crystals).

I have been wanting to make the following characters force sensitive in my story but wasn't sure if they should have a different color for their lightsaber. What colors do you think would fit the following individuals:

Padme Amidala
    Han Solo

pronker likes this.