main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I started on Valhalla over the weekend and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. Having spent time in Norway, I enjoyed the Norse mythology and old architecture. The contrast between Norway and merry old England is stark. I haven’t spent much time in England yet, but I worry that the environment might get a little repetitive (rolling hills and green pastures).

If I enjoy the rest of the game, I’ll download the Wrath of the Druids when I’m done. I’ll be interested to see AC’s interpretation of the Irish landscape and Celtic folklore. Though, to be honest, I think that a game set entirely in Ireland would have been preferable to a DLC.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What system are you playing it on?

3. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Xbox One.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You might not be seeing it at its best then, but it'll still run OK and look good.

5. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I’m planning to upgrade to PS5 later in the year.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They did a pretty good job of diversifying the terrain. There are a lot of the rolling hills and pastures and woods, but there’s also stark sea coast, marshes, moors, and craggy bluffs, and there are different seasons across the map, too, with snowy winter terrain up north. I was really impressed with the beauty of the terrain across the game.

7. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I done a bit of exploring today and saw the snow-capped mountains of Northumbria as well as the moors and whin. To be fair, there’s a decent variety of scenery and I’m really enjoying my time in the game.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just watch out while moving about. Even if you are within the area level, the game can - and will - drop some very strong enemies on you that you have no chance against. It doesn't always give warnings either.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  9. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Played a lot more Valhalla now (35 hours) and it is definitely warming on my. Although my favourite chapter just got killed off :_| The soundtrack for this game is very good though, have been listening to it on my MP3 player today as I work :)

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The new DLC gets released soon.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Tomorrow!

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    With finishing Cyberpunk 2077 for the 2nd time, I'm back to the AC series - trying to get back into the groove of Black Flag.

So I've got a ways to catch up with you lot. :p

13. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Ivarr is a right sicko, God I hate him. Killing my man Ceolbert, and then cutting that king open [face_sick]

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And how did you "deal" with him?

Moll likes this.
  15. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Killed him and then denied him passage to Valhalla

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Good, good.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Moll like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep. I did the same. The *******!

18. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Finished the Cent story arc today, my kitten was very interested when infiltrating the cathedral :D
    [​IMG]

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Gonna start up the DLC soon, did the Beowulf thing (surprisingly short/little to it), Daughters of Lerion fights and almost done with the Animus fragments.

Jedi Knight Fett and Moll like this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Black Flag finally down, Cry Freedom included. Probably the most fun out of all the AC games so far.
    Started Rogue, which I haven't heard great things about. Obviously filling in the gaps between IV and III, and (from what I understand) leading up to Unity.
    Valhalla seems an eternity away. [face_laugh]

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rogue has tremendous gameplay (it’s basically just BF with a few bits added) and a neat map, but terrrrrrrrrible writing. It handles the whole “Templar protagonist” thing not by exploring the philosophical conflict between the two factions, but by writing the Assassins as stupid jerks and whitewashing the Templars. It’s a bad story with an unlikable protagonist. The out-of-Animus metacommentary, in the style of BF, continues to be pretty good, however.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I love the commentary on the Animus entries. I miss Shaun's sarcastic entries, though.

I've also come to realize that AC really emphasizes Orson Welles' comment about happy endings depending on when you stop telling someone's story. Remember that cool villa you spent AC III upgrading? Destroyed at the start of Brotherhood! Remember how Altair was victorious at the end of AC I? Revelations will show you he really spent decades in exile after being betrayed! Kenway abandoning the pirate's life to raise a family? Murdered by Templars! (offscreen, cursory mention in Rogue)

I guess the one good thing about Rogue is that concept is turned on its ear - no matter how much chaos and destruction our 'protagonist' does, we know that Connor will come along and undo practically all of it.

Mia Mesharad and darkspine10 like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since the rest of the games whitewash the assassins and their alies, ain't that fair game in a way

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Dosen't Rogue one does exaclty what AC 3 did after the templars being villified in the ezio games.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's interesting that they go against the grain with George Washington and actively keep him out of the whole Templar/Assassin conspiracies - traditionally, any conspiratorial fiction dealing with the American Revolution or the founding of the US invariably tie him in somehow. (I know he's featured in III, but not as a member of either group and only indirectly involved with their machinations). I mention this because they double-down on his role in Rogue, where his high-ranking Templar brother specifically asks the other Templars to keep George out of their machinations.