main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph so let's talk about fan edits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, May 4, 2021.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    talk about your favorite fan edits that you've made or watched here (BUT DO NOT LINK TO THEM). I make fan edits when I can't cope with my life anymore. some fan edits I've made:

1. the hobbit - who hasn't made a fan edit of the hobbit? I have made three sets. 1 set condenses it to 1 film, with an extended edition that includes Gandalf's necromancer plot line. the 2nd set is a 2-parter that reconstructs the original story structure of the films before they were expanded into 3 movies. the 3rd set is a trilogy that basically just takes out the stuff I find annoying, and puts the destruction of Laketown at the end of film 2.
    2. lord of the rings - I don't know how many of these I have. one was where I squished everything into 1 film to see if I could. after seeing the theatrical cuts in theaters, I made my own theatrical cuts of the trilogy– keeping them as streamlined as possible while still incorporating what I perceive to be the essential bits of the EEs. I have practically never stopped working on fan edits of these movies since I was 14. I think I did book edits once– six films instead of 3, restructuring them to Tolkien's original structural conceit.
    3. beauty and the beast - I made a fan edit that is basically a collage of the animated film, broadway musical, and live action film. it is 3 hrs long and includes an intermission.

and last but not least, I am prepping work for a conceptual edit of the sinking of the Titanic. Its goal is to act as a precise reconstruction of the sinking of the ship. It will begin the moment the ship hits the iceberg and will end when as soon as it disappears beneath the surface of the sea. I will cut between A Night to Remember, the 1997 film, the 1996 miniseries, the 1953 film, and the 2012 miniseries. I have no idea how it's going to work but I'm working with 6 hrs of footage of sinking sequences. It will be 160 minutes long.

DO NOT WATCH ANY FAN EDITS. EVER. what are your favs?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars The Geordie Edit is pretty insane.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    I’ve never seen one in my life.

soitscometothis and FatBurt like this.
  4. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't think most people have

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Never watched one myself

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ditto

7. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    never watch them.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, this legit sounds amazing.

Of course, I will never watch it.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    soitscometothis likes this.
  9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Also it will all be in black and white so it’s easier to match them

but don’t watch

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Sarge, mnjedi and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's even better.

Won't watch.

SuperWatto likes this.
  11. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    You could put it for the JCC movie night

12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I once accidentally edited a fan. It no longer worked after that.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I’m surprised that nobody has tried to edit the Phineas and Ferb Star Wars special into Ep. IV. I’d be interested in somebody doing that, just to see what it does to the movie.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    If you could make any fan edit, what is the concept and why would you make it?

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I would edit the deleted scenes back into Master & Commander just because it's an amazing journey to a long-gone world, and I want to spend more time there.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Too many planned to list, not enough done to fully enjoy ;).

I've completed ones for AOTC, Masters of the Universe and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (mostly). Have detailed plans for TPM (but keep having more ideas about how to further enhance it, so even though I bought a hard drive to start working on it immediately after TPM 3D came out in theaters, I keep sidelining it as those new ideas emerge), as well as edit plan for turning TFA into a prelude to TLJ. I've racked my brain on what to do with ROS but there's seemingly no way to save that through just an edit, unfortunately- though I've come close with some ideas. Also intend to do extended ultimate cuts and my own personal preferred cuts of the original trilogy one day. More detailed ideas are jotted down for a ROTS/Siege of Mandalore edit as well.

2001: Short Version, Covenant frame story with Prometheus as main flashback story, The Hobbit trilogy-as-two-films from a LOTR film POV, Matrix Reloaded + Enter the Matrix combo and a Rocky IV/Creed II edit focusing on Drago's story are all high on my to-do list once i get other projects settled.

As for ones that aren’t mine, I know there’s a supposedly very good one for T3 that removes the more parody-like humor moments as well as the various lines of dialogue that are continuity errors. It also redoes a lot of the T-vision scenes’ HUD data.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Bacon164 likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Titanic edit currently at 200 minutes and need to get it down to 160- with 40 mins to cut, do I cut down on the sheer quantity of fictional subplots (1953's Barbara Stanwyck + Clifton Webb, some romantic subplot in the 1996 miniseries, obvs Kate + Leo in 1997) and keep the focus on the procedural action, ala A Night to Remember, or take the opposite approach and keep as many subplots as possible while squishing the more documentary feel of it?

One seems like an obvious choice given the nature of the project, but I'm torn. Currently editing the 10 minute final plunge sequence in lieu of cutting everything down yet.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If you cut-down the Kate/Leo through-line POV, doesn't it make it awkward when they suddenly become the focus of some of the key action sequences?

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah I don’t think it’s optional to cut them down too much when they are great POV for some internal sinking sequences and the finale at the stern, but the other ones are fairly mediocre- the main benefit of including them is the pastiche element of the project.

currently, Kate and Leo are introduced on the forecastle desk and we get Billy Zane’s first scene in the smoking room, setting up their respective dynamics. It’s played as if they happen very soon after the collision.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think the first fan edit I watched was The Phantom Edit and I think it kind of colored my experience. Now I sometimes think they are amazing reworkings of existing material that can show undeniable craftsmanship and should be respected like any other elaborative art... and sometimes they reek of fan entitlement and murky agendas to fix what is "broken" with a work of art. I guess it depends on the author!

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    They are definitely a weird, seemingly unclassifiable phenomenon. I oftentimes hold myself holding both of those perspectives at the same time when either admiring or constructing an edit. I don’t know if one can say with any real legitimacy that there isn’t a high level of entitlement that comes with messing with someone else’s work.

for me it’s really just some kind of therapy.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I say cut down the subplots, keep the focus on the sinking.

Not gonna watch it.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Bacon164 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Matrix Revolutions is the one I'd do (well I did once on VHS) , basically I don't like a lot of the Zion stuff with characters I don't care about etc.

24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. This would be useful if there were audience members for this project, but nobody watches fan edits.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes. Heavily edited flashback, I presume.