main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC mixtape, Part II (now complete!) - full playlist link in OP

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

The rules, as decided upon by the group:
    1. 12 songs or less
    2. Playlists stay up for 72 hours, unless we decide that's too long/short

You can PM your playlist to me as soon as you'd like, whenever you're ready. Playlist links and the overall list will be edited into this post, just like last time. Here's a link to the first playlist thread, in case you need/want it:

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-jcc-mixtape-part-i-archived-playlist-on-page-1.50054772/

If you want to be added to the list, either post the list and add your name, or tag a mod, and we'll add you. Enjoy.

@blackmyron, you're up!

the playlist (number two):
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7FjQwOBBRzaVfoTo8oCvyp?si=676cade3e2bb4748

1. blackmyron - "temptation," by new order
    2. lord vivec - "vacances de 87 (carpenter brut remix)" by le couleur
    3. harpua - "willie the pimp" by frank zappa
    4. solojones - "devil's right hand" by johnny cash
    5. superwatto - "i'm still standing" by elton john
    6. obi anne - "locklat" by maria rojas and eva rune
    7. cubman987 - "black hole sun" by soundgarden
    8. ramza - "77 beverly park" by prince
    9. darth_duck - "exile" by taylor swift
    10. boba_fett_2001 - "sapari" by orphaned land
    11. point given - "electric relaxation" by a tribe called quest
    12. pymparticles - "(sittin on) the dock of the bay" - otis redding
    13. vin - "hearts on fire" - john cafferty (rocky iv)
    14. rylo ken - "cantaloupe island" - herbie hancock
    15. soitscometothis - "a different drum" - peter gabriel
    16. mnjedi - "big iron" - marty robbins
    17. fatburt - "sledgehammer" - peter gabriel
    18. lowbacca - "flash" (theme from "flash gordon")
    19. juliet - "stand by me" - ben e. king
    20. autumnlight91 - "concerning hobbits" - howard shore (from LOTR)
    21. charmbracelet - "aint 2 proud 2 beg" - TLC
    22. zapdos - "set me free" - avenged sevenfold
    23. epic - "tom traubert's blues" - tom waits
    24. healer_leona - "white and nerdy" - weird al yankovic
    25. tom - "matches to paper dolls" - dessa
    26. rogue 1.5 - "one" - chris cornell
    27. chorus - "one people" - nattali rize
    28. dave - "tres notas para decir te quiero" - vincente amigo
    29. guidman - "triumph" - wu-tang clan
    30. reynar_tedros - "the blues man" - george jones
    31. darthphilosopher - "nobody does it better" - carly simon
    32. steellepp - "moonage daydream" - david bowie

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I know most of them. This will be tough.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s going to be tough for something to convince me to vote against early Elvis Costello but this has a few potential contenders. Should be interesting.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Trying really hard not to autovote for More.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hang the DJ – 80s Dance Club Songs

Full disclosure – I never set foot in a dance in the 1980s. My first time was on Oct 13th, 1990, when I went to see the band They Might Be Giants at Visage, a dance club in the outskirts of Orlando, my freshman year in college. Not that I knew at time, but Visage was the type of dance club that I would end up gravitating towards – 80s music, leaning towards the more goth-friendly material.

The first dance I ever hung out at wasn’t until about 3 years later, at a club called Jani Lane’s. Sharp-eyed people might notice the name is the same as frontman of the glam rock band Warrant, and that was because he was the part owner. The club had a horrible glam rock theme to it as well, but it also had the first real 80s night (outside of the actual 80s) in Orlando, called “London Calling”. From there I bounced around between various clubs as the concept became more popular with varying degrees of success (one always played the “Grease MegaMix”, another played “Ice Ice Baby”)

And then, there was Barbarella’s.

Barbarella’s was a weird labryinthine dance club that was named after the 60s sexy sci-fi spoof movie that starred Jane Fonda. Video monitors alternated with music videos (when appropriate for the song) and a custom video of scenes from Barbarella cut with 60s scenes involving science and nuclear weapons. It was like someone went into my brain and built a dance club off of that. And that is really what most of these tracks come from – memories of dancing to these songs.

Their main nights were the goth-industrial night on Wednesdays, the college/alternative (90s) on Fridays, and "Sunday Night Vinyl" on... you know. They were open to 3 AM, an hour past last call, which meant the crowds thinned out considerably by closing. The last song on Sundays was always "The Boy With The Arab Strap" by Belle and Sebastian. It was a damn fun time of my life, to be sure.

Panic – The Smiths

I had mentioned in the previous playlist that an English friend pegged me as someone who was into the Smiths. I wasn’t at the time, but… yeah, she got it right. (Disclaimer: Morrissey nowadays is a big bag of ****). For such a morose band, they certainly had some great dance tunes. This one always got the crowd pogoing on the dance floor.

Pump It Up – Elvis Costello

Technically 1979, but there’s a little leeway given here because this was another staple of 80s night. I’ve always thought his best material was in the earlier days, when he was the most acerbic; I would rate this as one of his most danceable.

More – Sisters of Mercy

What better way to get the goths on the dance floor than to play some Sisters of Mercy? Kudos for Andrew Eldritch for namechecking the Polish national currency. (My SO is apparently not fond of the extended end of the song)

Cities in Dust – Siouxsie and the Banshees

Well, I guess this is the ‘better way’. I managed to see them towards the end of their original run, playing the first Lolapalooza in 1991. In the sea of music about love, relationships, and breakups, Siouxsie is busy singing songs about archaeological digs.

Cuts You Up – Peter Murphy

Not to say that Bauhaus didn’t get played, but that usually didn’t have as much cross appeal on the dance floor as his solo material. (Towards the beginning of the evening, they tending to play the more goth-specific tracks as they would get there early to beat the crowds).

I Got You – The Split Enz

Possibly the most famous band out of New Zealand besides the Flight of the Conchords. A staple of early MTV.

Betty Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes

Another early MTV staple. When I was a kid I knew that she had to be singing “make a crow blush” but it sounded like “make a pro blush”. Turns out that she was singing “pro”, but that the song is actually a cover of one from the 70s where the original lyrics said “crow”. No idea why she changed that one word.

Save It For Later – The English Beat

A fun song to bounce on the dance floor to. You lot in the UK might just know them as “The Beat” – apparently there was an American band by the same name, so they had to go by this in the US.

Temptation – New Order

I’ve tended to like their earliest material – the songs closest temporarily to Joy Division. I suppose “Blue Monday” got played more, because of remixes and re-releases that’s more well known, so I went with one of my other dance favorites.

Don’t You Want Me – Human League

One of my favorite videos when I was a kid – a music video that’s also a movie within a movie. One of the more popular new wave songs that most people had at least a passing familiarity.

Is There Something I Should Know? – Duran Duran

It can’t be surprising that a band that got its name from the movie Barbarella’s was in heavy rotation at a dance club with the same name. Fun fact: the song and its video was the basis for the Venture Brothers’ episode “Maybe No Go”.

One Step Beyond – Madness

Yes, “Our House” is the more familiar choice, but whenever this song came on I usually had to take a break afterwards, because I had to thrash about as madly as possible.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This is correct. Did you know Neil Finn moved to Australia and started popular Australian band Crowded House afterwards? @jp-30 knows and will agree we don't always claim ownership on NZ art when it succeeds.

jp-30 and blackmyron like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    32. Diggy

wake me up when it’s time to go go.

solojones likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Split Enz are far superior to Crowded House.

jp-30, SuperWatto and blackmyron like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hmmmm.... apples and oranges though.
    Fun fact: Mike Chunn is good mates with my dad. They worked together for a number of years, and my old man even gets a mention in Chunn's autobiography "Sharp Left Turn".

11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    33. Guidman

Luckily, I have a good eight months to finalize this playlist.

Emperor Ferus and SuperWatto like this.
  12. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I voted for the Cities in Dust song. Never heard it before but I liked it.

Overall the Playlist is pretty good. Reminds me of listening to a morning show we liked then they play oldie songs in the 90s

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol, "oldie"

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Barbarella's changed their name to Independent Bar years ago.

And in an amazing bit of coincidence, they announced an hour ago they were changing it back to Barbarella.

[​IMG]

Rogue1-and-a-half and SuperWatto like this.
  15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Damn you Myron this will be a hard one to pick. Well done. A perfect start to this new round.

blackmyron likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    YOU'RE an oldie.

harpua likes this.
  17. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I mean that's what they called stuff they played on the station...

18. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    First of all what did this poor dj ever do to you...

19. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    To me? Nothing.

The station was 95.5 the Fox. Randy and Spiff were a comedic duo in the mornings we loved to listen to. Then that station ended and they went to another station that played 60s to 80s music.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The one at the "Have A Nice Day Cafe" with the worst 80s night ever?
    He started playing "Under Pressure" by Queen / David Bowie... except that it wasn't, it was the ****ing song by Vanilla Ice.
    The one at "The Embassy", that generally had a good line-up?
    Including the "Grease Mega-Mix" in every single 80s night they ever did.
    But I forgave that guy because he also played "Time Warp" every time as well, and that was really a 70s movie too.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Such a good list! I definitely think the 80's the best decade for music, so I will enjoy this and even before listening I know I will have a hard time picking my winner. I did vote for Madness when they were up in he last round, but New Order is great and Duran Duran brings out a lot of memories of growin up with a sister that is a huge Duran Duran fan. I was thinking about making an 80's pop/synth list at first, but maybe that will be for round 3 or 4.

blackmyron likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nice to have a morning playlist to listen to again.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Going with “Temptation” for now, I think I like it just a hair more than I’ve ever liked “Pump it Up.” That said, choosing between the two ****ing sucks. :p

blackmyron likes this.
  24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    man i just took a quick peak at all the playlists from last round. haha i dont think youre gonna like my playlist.

gonna start listening to blackmyrons now.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    My vote:

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.