main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This reads like something Anakin has said to Obi Wan in TCW. Anakin and Tarkin want to win no matter the cost of morale and honor.

2. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Dave FIloni is easily the best person making creative decisions under Disney Star Wars. It feels like a lot of people overlook the significance of Mythology and Joseph Campbell, but these are prominent aspects that made Star Wars under George Lucas resonate and thrive.

Filoni understands mythology as well as the general lore for Star Wars, and led to some of the best Star Wars stories you could ask for. It's a common trend these past few years for entertainment to focus on contemporary issues and politics, which leads to a lot of toxicity and divisiveness. Filoni's approach reaches something more fundamental and universal, that can appeal to all people.

Any project that he is currently attached to I am eagerly excited for. He just knows how to give us all something we never knew we wanted.

2Cleva, DLCV, Reepicheep775 and 12 others like this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Random aside here, but it would be very cool if Dave Filoni hopped on the set up the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film to shadow James Mangold for a couple days or so the way he did Rian Johnson on The Last Jedi; a new Indy movie must be a big deal for him internally at Lucasfilm, and there's a lot of things that Mangold has done stylistically in his previous movies that I feel are very much in the same wheelhouse and drawing from similar wells of inspiration as what Filoni has been doing in episodes like "The Gunslinger" and "The Jedi."

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I agree with every single word, comma and the rest of the punctuation.

After Tuesday's Bad Batch episode, I was just reminded again that Dave Filoni just knows how to CREATE Star Wars.
    And that's something that I can't say for more than 5 people at most, other than George Lucas. At least not with that consistency.
    If I could have Filoni being in charge of Star Wars for another 30 years, I would. Easily.

6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I don't like to put anyone in a pedestal, not even George Lucas, but I agree that besides George Lucas, Dave Filoni is the next best thing.

But for a show to be a success, you also need a producer like Jon Favreau.

So, it is a team effort.

When we have people on charge who really understands Star Wars, then we get great shows.

TripleZero and Palp_Faction like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Pretty much this. No one Filoni project succeeds because of him. George didn’t create this universe by himself. Without Williams and later directors and producers the movies could have turned out completely different

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope Filoni dosen't forget the PT era, right now his mostly in OT era with Mandoverse, and bad batch witch is in between. I hope Filoni makes a show between TPM and ATOC, i think it's a rich history and lore in those 10 years. I think only Filoni would do that era except for few books and comics. Most stuff is either OT, post OT or before TPM.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, it's kind of funny that the era between TPM and AOTC hasn't been explored much canonically, even though it's the third biggest time gap between films. Even Legends was relatively light on substantial stories as I recall. Of course, there's not a lot of large scale conflict over that stretch, but exploring Anakin and Obi-Wan's early relationship could have a lot of potential and further inform the friction between them by the start of the Clone Wars.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the 10 year gap is really intresting, you have the republic being spit in two with the sepratist movement. Dooku as this popular leader for them, the creations of clones. a story where we can have Jango Fett on tv. this also atime where Kenobi has to train young Anakin and act as a mentor and big brother. This relationship could also be similar to what going on in BB and other stories, this also atime where the repblic and senate becomes more corrupt and more attacks from pirates and gangs. I think a show between this time period would be like bad batch or rebels where it follows astory narrative, you have your fillers with the bigger story.

Snafu55 likes this.
  11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Not necessarily, Favreau was not there for TCW or the Bad Batch or Rebels, all of which I think is Star Wars content of the highest quality.
    That's true for every movie, tv show and other content in the film industry anyway. Yet, he is the main reason why his projects are great. I will always give most of the credit to the creators, aka GL and DF.

That's funny, I was talking with a friend about this yesterday. We were discussing how interesting the era between TPM and AOTC would be. I would personally love to get an animated show about the lives and adventures of the hundreds of Jedi scattered across the galaxy on missions. A Clone Wars type of animated show, with Jedi like Depa Billapa and Plo Koon (and dozens more obviously) taking care of disputes and conflicts on various planets.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  12. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I'd say the fact that Filoni is apparently so able to build or participate in so many development teams, without the kind of egos, creative conflicts and internal politics that plague so many other productions, is also a major asset.

Plus, he's a great ambassador to fans. He puts a human face on the company. That's a role that Kennedy lacks the fan-cred for and that Lucas was never interested in.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Totally. I just don’t like it when people worship anyone. In anything. Film or otherwise it’s a team effort. Yes most of it might have come from one person, but who knows if certain people hadn’t worked on TCW, Rebels etc Filoni could be a nobody and those shows may or may not have flopped. I acknowledge that Filoni has been involved and a big part of TCW and his other works. But creator worship is just the worst. Not saying you were doing it I just see it all the time.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't think there was a chance for TCW to not stay in history as very strong SW material, even if a lot of people needed time to appreciate it. All art is storytelling, and when the storytelling is good (in this case it's phenomenal in my opinion) then all the rest of the elements can only elevate or diminish the art so much. I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that Filoni's work would have gone unnoticed. He has delivered consistently and has proven that he is talented time and again. Plus, I don't care to talk about hypotheticals. Even if I did, I think that if you could have replaced any person that worked on TCW other than DF or GL, it would have been about the same in quality.

Nothing wrong with creator worship if the creator deserves it (so far). And so far Dave Filoni hasn never failed me, so I will keep supporting him and ask for as much as I can from him in the Star Wars universe. What I personally don't like is brand worship, and Star Wars is a brand. This is after all the Dave Filoni appreciation thread, I don't think I should be told to appreciate him but maybe not as much :p No reason to diminish his contribution in this thread.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    2Cleva and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Probably and again I don’t want to downplay Filoni. He did a lot for the series as well as Rebels, Mando and now Bad Batch where he fills the role Lucas once had on TCW.

Filoni helped create some of my favorite Star Wars things. And I am so happy about that.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Favreau was just an example, I think that what is really important is to have a team of people on charge that "gets" what makes Star Wars special for the fans.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Bad Batch lists Filoni as executive producer, and lists it as developed by Filoni and Jennifer Corbett, with Corbett as head writer. I'm curious about her, but there's very little I can find.

18. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I do respect the man, despite not agreeing with his take on SW. He certainly enjoys what he does and I'm forever grateful for TLAB.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Great points all around.

20. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    Dave Filoni good animator. But to consider him a genius is an exaggeration.

He knows how to direct animation, but as a creative person of ideas or writer, he is not so good.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Filoni has been promoted to Executive Producer and Executive Creative Director for Lucasfilm.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope that means he in some way has some creative control of the mythos and lore and veto anything that goes against it. The story can be whatever as long as it does not go against the visions of him and GL.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Darkslayer and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Good for him but I want to point out he isn’t alone in that role. Doug Chang and John Knoll also hold the same rolls. However this is the first time he is listed in leadership at Lucasfilm.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Count Yubnub and TripleZero like this.
  24. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    And good for Star Wars fans.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he'll have hand in all tv series and movies from now on.