main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why no Luke's Academy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, May 11, 2021.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Warning, there will be spoilers for the s2 finale of The Mandalorian.....

Barring the Rise of Kylo Ren comic, and the brief flashbacks in the ST, there has been no content really exploring Luke's Academy period, from when Ben was 10 years old, to its destruction in 28ABY.

And I wonder why.......

Even after TRoS, none of the current or upcoming projects have been about Lukes Jedi. We got Grogu with Luke, but that is still years away before Luke begins to train Ben Solo and the other students.

Is there a lack of post RoTJ Luke (and his Jedi), because they don't want to portray another "doomed generation of Jedi"?

While I wish we were not given another scenario where the Jedi falls to just one.....I believe an interesting story can still be made for Lukes Academy that truly makes the New Republic era better.

I wonder if creating the High Republic era, is part of the reason why the canon NJO is not given the spotlight. Perhaps Disney wants for now the "Jedi focused era" to just be the High Republic.

I did like how in Legends, we were getting the old Jedi Order in the Old Republic, alongside Lukes NJO.

We could see similarities/differences between HR era Jedi, and Lukes Academy. Could Luke have taken some inspiration from the HR jedi? After all he acquired various Jedi artifacts, including from HR centers.

So what do you think about why Disney has given little content for Luke and his Jedi so far?

They sure know that even with certain views of ST Luke, the man is still quite popular in the fanbase, which is part of the reason he appeared in the Mandalorian.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    It's possible the poor backlash against the Sequel Trilogy and Lucasfilm's desire to move on to The High Republic, while Animation/TV is focusing on The Bad Batch, Kenobi, Ahsoka and Andor means we won't get anything for a while.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think it’s to keep the air of myth around Luke which is the whole point of the ST era.

he’s a myth and legend now

showing more stories just dilute it

and frankly Star Wars needs to move away from the OT 3 and focus on new characters which is just healthier for the franchise overall

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I suspect they’re waiting for Filoni and Favreau to finish their saga before approaching any material with Luke.

5. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah, the fact that the main focus of The Mandalorian is now in Luke's care likely has something to do with it.

We should hopefully have more of an idea of what Luke's been up to since Pillio next year, and that'll give authors something to work with.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Lukes Academy is like the TCW Jedi kids... exploring them further would mean getting hopes up before the ultimate slaughter. They should have done it before the ST as leadup. Not after as ensured meatbags.

7. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Well TCW was made with a bunch of Jedi who we knew were already doomed.

I agree they should have done it before the ST, or better yet, not wipe out the Academy.

I wonder if the main star wars comic will enter Academy territory. Eventually they will be done with the ESB-RoTJ gap, by then they have 1 more year until Jakku/end of the war (we could see more of Luke training Leia in this year). Once that is taken care of, will they do a time jump when Luke begins to train Ben, or continue with the Jakku-Mandalorian gap?

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And they're going for it, it's a great lay-up, perfect preparation for a slam dunk, but oh no! The player has flipped 90 degrees and stuffed the ball up his backside! Never has a perfect shot been so badly messed up.

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the window is still there for Luke to create the academy and even graduate a class before the doom comes.

But the problem there is continuity...if we take the films as scripture, and all Luke's students were either wiped out or joined Kylo, it makes it tricky to have a couple extra "Knights" out in the galaxy...especially since they never aided Leia and the resistance.

So if we can find a way to double somersault that pitfall...why not?

Luke graduates a dozen students, including Grogu...and tasks them with a mission to one of the satellite galaxies...to return in 5 or 10 years.

Luke's indiscretion happens a couple nights later, when his best students aren't around to sense his fear and intention and ward it off.

Then we can have the academy...a set of Jedi knights...we save Grogu...and a plot device for Rey post ST.

I LIKE IT!

wmu'14 likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I don’t since it takes away the while point of Luke and Rey being The Last Jedi

12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think we’re long past that being an issue. After Ezra and Ahsoka, I outright expect them to work around what the film’s say.

13. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I
    I think the only way to have anyone from Luke‘s academy left by the time of the ST or later is for them to be presumed dead or having actively broken with the Jedi, as otherwise it would run counter to Luke’s sense of guilt and hopelessness which drove him into exile.

14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I don't think Jedi are in the current plan for post Endor. So this would not fit the current plans. It seems like Lucasfilm, don't want to 'confuse' for lack of a better term the market. That is why the HR is coming out after the ST and is a very different beast from the Mandoverse.

Since we have a lot of Jedi in one era, they don't want them in another.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I wouldn’t use the term “a lot” in the context of the New Republic era Jedi.

But if your right about why Disney is avoiding Luke’s Jedi, that would be a disappointment.

There is a happy medium between “A lot of Jedi” (HR, TCW) and “Jedi being wiped out, one left”. And I wish Disney can use that medium. An era where the Jedi are not hunted down, but the Jedi are still very small in numbers, from their point of view, the future post Empire looks bright. I also think it’s a mistake to get that in the form of Reys Jedi, before seeing Luke’s generation.

AusStig and Jedimarine like this.
  16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Internal motivation is the easiest thing to work around in a story arc. You could put the focus of his guilt mostly on his feelings of failure to Ben, or Leia, or even his own self pity.

Compared to how many Jedi have escaped Order 66 and the Inquisitors, justifying Luke's failure to unite or lead the few remaining jedi is small potatoes.

And, if you like...let's assume the mission this cadre of students was sent on had the potential to never return. Perhaps Luke had no expectation they would ever come back, but they return Post ST to fine Luke gone and this girl using his name.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    We've got:
    • High Republic Jedi
    • Prequel Jedi
    • Dark Times Jedi
    • Luke's Jedi
    • Rey's Jedi
    Which all need to be differentiated. I'm okay with focusing on just a couple of these eras at a time. It's more Luke himself that I'm interested in, Academy or no.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Certainly. Luke's Praxeum in Legends was usually dozens at most. Maybe a couple hundred by the closing stages. Most of the stories were around a stable of 15-20 regulars. Not only could they make use of this smaller camp of Jedi...but the fewer the number, the more involved the few jedi will be.

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Semantics...they can spin that to mean a dozen things...just off the top of my head...Luke could be bemoaning the end of the "orthodox" and fundamental order as displayed in the PT. The conclusion of the TLJ could be seen as Luke's acceptance of the Jedi principles changing to serve the times and the will of the force, rather then the dogma of the crispy texts. He surely knows there are other force users in the galaxy...he may even know of people unwilling or unable, just like Leia...or even some he sent away deliberately for any number of reasons.

Not saying it will happen that way.

Just Jedi = $...so the longer they dwell on the time period, the more likely a Jedi appears. A principled "only Luke is a Jedi now" rule, if one ever existed, was broken the moment Grogu was thought up.

Only Luke.
    Only Luke and Grogu.
    Only Luke, Grogu, Ahsoka.
    Only Luke, Grogu, Ahsoka, Ezra.
    Only Luke, Grogu, Ahsoka, Ezra, Cal...

Stories will be written, and we'll all do the dance to make it all fit. It's what we do.

20. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Luke says "I will not be the last Jedi", which does seem far easier to retcon than "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be".

AusStig likes this.
  21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it depends on the context. Republics falling? More than 1 is not a lot. Trained Jedi? More than 1? A Lot.

It depends on what story they want to tell. If they want to tell a story like the OT then the Jedi will stay dead. If they want to do something different, then there might be more. Maybe a couple. OR even a whole order, trained by Ashoka, Grogu or whoever.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Disney and LFL may disagree on making the orders distinct. Once the KotOR game came out, LFL aligned the previously distinct old order to that of the PT, Denning aligned the NJO to the PT too. They have form for not wanting variation here.

23. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Barring Ezra, the Dark Times Jedi are Prequel era Jedi. While differences exist, the High Republic Jedi are still part of the same Jedi Order as the prequel generation.

The two that need the most differentiation are Lukes Jedi, and Rey's.

And Lukes Jedi should be given the spotlight first before Reys. So when the day comes that we see Rey train an apprentice, we as the audience can see the similarities/differences she has with Lukes method.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a Luke academy animated show or movie can work and like Ahsoka, Ezra and Grogu he survives and must hide from the first order.

25. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Grogu being apart of the Academy and somehow surviving (he already survived the original jedi purge) just feels like a retcon of the ST, a way to not let Luke be the last Jedi in TFA, and Rey not be "all of the Jedi".

We have already have Rise of Kylo Ren, and I prefer if it wasn't retconned. Its pretty clear in that comic, the 3 team away gang, is all that is left of the Academy students (other then Ben). before they to are killed.

To be frank, I don't like the idea of Jedi Grogu post ST. It's like Rey's Jedi getting their own Yoda, and it would make sense for him to outshine her because he is older with more Jedi experience (from old Jedi, and Luke). One of the differences Rey's generation of Jedi should have, compared to the past, is they don't have the benefit of a yoda like alien who can live very very very very long.

I prefer Grogu either....

Dies in his sleep when the Academy goes kaboom, further showing the loss of what Lukes generation of Jedi could have been...if not for Bens/Snokes/Palpatines actions.

For reasons decides the Jedi path isn't for him, and parts ways with Luke (after receiving some training) prior to Luke beginning to train Ben. Give him his own path, very separate from Yoda, Yaddle (and I bet others of their kind that have been Jedi in the Old Republic).