main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And her hair on its own is no more unusual than Rex's--which could always have been either natural or dyed. The problem here is the larger pattern it's part of.

Jeff_Ferguson and Gamiel like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No Omega’s skin color should be changed. Blond hair has an in universe and out of universe reason so whatever.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Especially coming so soon after The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which spent six hours fighting against a systemic American bias that was only comfortable with the face of their country being someone with light skin, blond hair and blue eyes. It ended with Sam taking a stand and essentially saying "I have dark skin and I'm the new Cap; deal with it."

Within the larger Disney+ sphere, it's a pretty stark contrast to a show that's cloned a darker-skinned character and given the new clone... blond hair and lighter skin. I mean, imagine if TFATWS had given us a Sam who had lightened both his hair and his skin to be more palatable to his audience. I know it can't be a one to one analogy since SW characters can't directly contend with real-world issues the way Marvel characters can, but still... it's a stark contrast.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is what I was saying in the Bad Batch thread -- it's basically eugenics on a weird level. Like the OOU creators used in-universe genetics to make Omega intentionally have those features.

(also like I said in that thread -- I absolutely don't think it's because the creators are racists, and we know there's some degree of diversity among people working on the show. But it goes along with the title of this thread. It's more of an ignorance thing. They clearly didn't think it through -- it's fine because it's sci-fi isn't a good excuse if your audience is the real world dealing with real world racism.)

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you really have a reason to hate on the blonde hair? Maori people can have blonde hair. so I really don’t think that’s a problem. Heck as was said in this very thread Morrison’s sister was blonde. What is a problem is how white she is. Yes I’ll agree on that.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Fair enough. Also I have always thought the clones looked a bit suspect. I don’t think the clones skin color was ever changed on purpose. Still bad though

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I wonder how much of this has to do with the more realistic "lighting" technology that's being used in this show/TCW Season 7.

Look at this:

[​IMG]

This is from the Bad Batch episode of TCW. The clones in rough animation are dark skinned. Throw in that new lighting they started playing with in Season 7, and they end up looking a lot lighter.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that’s part of it, but Omega still throws me off.

10. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Happy Pride Month, everyone.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Fitting The Owl House begins this month

the Lumity is strong with this one

Seriously probably one of the best animated representation of a LGBTQ crush I’ve seen

12. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, I love The Owl House and I'm hyped for season two. Doing my best to avoid leaks and spoilers so that I can watch the new episodes properly when they air. But you are right, its representation is incredibly refreshing.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IT STARTS THIS MONTH?

Really?

Me and my girls (and missus) love it.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

June 12th to be exact

and much like She-Ra it’s my goal in life to get as many people watching as possible

also check out Amphibia ...though why no major LGBTQ relations it’s a good series with a diverse cast of characters

but back on Owl House Amity Blight is my fav character and we must protect her at all cost

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2021
    darkspine10 likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Only six days to go!?

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

yep Saturdays at 10 on Disney channel

17. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Amphibia has no major LGBTQ relations yet, but its creator Matt Braly has said that he does intend to add LGBTQ representation to the series... so stay tuned.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    And I’m in GMT...

... now I shall look up the Disney + release too!

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I think there is something going on between Anne and Marcy but that’s just me

@Sinrebirth
    Sadly Disney + releases don’t happen till post season is over

20. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh it's not just you, I promise...

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean ...we have this moment

Also it's funny I once said Owl House was like the best substitute for anyone looking to fill the void left by Harry Potter in many ways.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry for the DP

I remember when a bunch of news sites made a big deal of Cruella having it's first major openly gay character (Which hey always a good thing not saying it isn't) but i'm kinda like....

Guys....Disney might have it's first Gay couple on a cartoon show one Disney channel (Hopefully...Crosses fingers)

I'm not bashing Cruella or anything like that, but come on...The Cartoon on Disney Channel is beating the mega movie here in terms of good Representation!

(FYI I never saw Cruella so I'm not sure how that character plays out, but I do find it funny and frustrating that the best Disney LGTBQ + rep is in a cartoon that not enough people are paying attention too)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2021
  23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but back in late May I noticed that the story group published an article on the Sages of Dwartii in which they confirmed that Sistros was a woman. Maybe that had always been the case, but for some reason I always thought the sages were men, so it was an interesting development from my perspective. I'm curious about whether this means there's any plans to incorporate them to a larger degree in any future stories.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    I feel like Disney has had their "first gay character" a few times now...

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    ‘Beauty and the Beast’: Josh Gad Plays Disney’s First-Ever Gay Character
    Watch new trailer for Jungle Cruise with Disney’s first major gay character
    Pixar’s first out gay character to be voiced by Lena Waithe in ‘Onward’

And if we're counting Star Wars as Disney (which it seems like only the haters do)...

‘Rise Of Skywalker’ Will Feature First Lesbian Kiss In ‘Star Wars’ History