main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I saw some guys playing smash bros earlier. to play as Sephiroth or Cloud is tempting just to get it. But should I get a switch? all id play would be Mario kart, smash bros, and Mario party.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You’d think that, but you’re bound to find other titles to absorb your time even if you spend most of your time on the evergreen titles like MK8 & Smash.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Personally, I'm not a Smash guy, but Mario Kart is fun. I haven't played the Switch version, but I believe it's just a port of the Wii U version. Also, just be aware to play others online in Mario Kart (and Smash, as well as other games) you'll need to purchase a Nintendo Online subscription which is $20 for a year.

Also, with the rumors of an updated Switch system, you may want to wait on purchasing a system f

Personally, I waited two years until I finally got a Switch. (A) I'm kind of a first party snob when it comes to games and (B) I played BotW on the Wii U so there was no other game(s) out there that was super appealing that made me desire a Switch. I was hoping for a new Metroid, but then I got tired of waiting.

So far I've played the following Nintendo titles:
    1) Luigi's Mansion 3 - highly recommended, some replay value if trying to 100% item collection
    2) Super Mario Odyssey - fun for a while, I liked it but after beating it I wasn't always sure where to find that next hidden Power Moon. It felt very similar to the Korok quest in BotW, so it can become a little frustrating -- for example there are some challenges where you have to do a thing 100 times in a row so the task ends up more tedious than fun
    3) Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Ubisoft) - I got a really good clearance deal on this game, but it lost its appeal after several hours
    4) Super Mario Maker 2 - I only did the main quest which was a lot of fun. The replay value definitely comes with creating and playing courses online but as mentioned above you'll need a Nintendo Online Subscription. Sure, $20 for a full year isn't going to break the bank, but it wouldn't be worth it for me for the amount I play/don't play.
    5) Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - I had a lot of fun playing this and highly recommend it, especially if you liked BotW.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Alternatively, when it comes to the online service, see if anyone you know has a Family Plan with free slots- those can add up to 7 people on them. And if you want to divvy the price up from that with your friend, an even cut would cost you as little as $5 for the year (depending on how many people).

It's mostly the same game, but it has all of the DLC tracks included, 6 new characters w/carts & parts (plus a Splatoon outfit via amiibo unlock), a two-item inventory for regular races, extra items, super drift was added, increased TV play rez, a revised-and-proper Battle Mode (with courses and new sub-modes) and 3 types of driving assists for younger/less-skilled players (auto-acceleration, smart steering- stuff that you need to now remember to disable when playing because they are on by default!).

Rew and TiniTinyTony like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A new Indie World streamed yesterday:

TMNT confirmation (hells yeah!) and maybe Skuls and Aztech being the only stand-outs (though, with Skuls, while the head-swapping sounds cool, 90 seems like too many to me- and, honestly, every time I hear something described as "rogue-like" I tune out now). That labyrinth town game also looks promising or, at the very least, has an appealingly unique art style with a slight Where's Waldo-vibe.

Ramza likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's also a pretty big sale on right now, at least in the US store, to coincide with the Showcase. I finally picked up a copy of Transistor for... well, nothing, I had gold coins to spare.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nothing on my wish list has a significant discount, alas (and only 2 or 2 circling around 20%). At this point, I have so many games unplayed (have almost filled my memory card, but I blame MK11, Fortnite and Apex for that mostly) I can't justify buying anything that isn't at least 50% off right now since I can obviously wait a long time if I need to.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

After 2.5 years, Super Mario Party has received its second update (the first was a small patch last month), expanding online play options beyond the original select mini-games restrictions to now include the main Mario Party, Partner Party and Minigame Freeplay modes.

[​IMG]

Includes Friend Match and Private Game (passworded). You can play 2-4 players with 1 player per system, r 3-4 players with up to 2 players per system. You cannot have 2 players on one system playing against 2 players on their own systems.

Considering how the game has been consistently kept within their evergreen advertising pushes over the past couple years- and how well its sold, it's not exactly surprising that it would get an update, but after so long it seemed highly unlikely.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting and unexpected

Obviously there are more advanced options out there but should be a cute way to get younger potential game makers into trying things out.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo's Fiscal Year Report.

To no one's surprise, the Switch did crazy numbers last year. It passed the GBA in unit sales and only sits behind the DS, GB & Wii. And Nintendo expects it to pass the Wii this year. MK8D sold more copies last year than Ghosts of Tsushima or FFVIIR. AC was the top-selling title and came up less than 3m shy of dethroning MK8D in overall sales in just over a single year of release (top 20 games list is at the end of that article).

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    IT PRINTS MONEY WITH ONE SCREEN

I wonder what the explanation for that Mario Kart chart dominance is. Bundles? Crossover appeal? A secret yearning in everyone’s heart to throw shells at other people?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Crushing it.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Mario Kart still sells well because it's arguably the best multiplayer game out there.
    If you own a Switch, you have to have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I actually don't, because I hate racing games

16. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Me neither, never owned a MK as far as i can remember.

Waiting for BotW2 info getting a little long toothed.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It does include bundles- so that would give it a holiday timeframe boost. But the game is consistently on the top ten sellers every month- and those charts usually don't include digital numbers (Nintendo only releases those during quarterly and fiscal year statements), which would presumably exclude bundles.

So, a secret desire to prevent MK9 from ever being released, maybe? ;)

MK8D on its own is less than 2m shy of Mario Kart Wii's totals. Adding the extra 8-ish from MK8 on Wii U and, according to wikipedia, it's the 8th highest-selling game ever, across any platform. It's only behind Minecraft, GTAV, EA's mobile Tetris, Wii Sports, PUBG, SMB1 & Pokemon R/B/G/Y, ahead of Wii Fit and the original NES/GB Tetris.

I think it's just become one of the key 2 or 3 games that (almost) everyone has to own on their Switch. The local multi factor on a system that is designed to provide local multi even on the go. Plus MK8D's added helper features make it easier for kids who are even younger than usual to get into it, so a lot of those Switch Lites can benefit the game too. A piggy-back effect on Animal Crossing isn't out of the picture either- Lites and other systems sold to take advantage of the AC craze this past year? Might as well buy a Mario Kart for it while you're at it.

EDIT- Also, Nintendo, WTH?

EDIT 2-

SNL did a Wario-in-court bit this weekend, but due to some content we can't embed it. You can find it at this link, just NSFW warning.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Rew likes this.
  19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Can they just not hurry up with the Metroid Prime remakes for Switch and Metroid Prime 4?

Thats all I want right now from Nintendo

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The line they gave in 2019 was a full restart on the project, and that was pre-COVID. We’d be lucky to get any news this year assuming a normal development cycle, and there’s almost no chance they’re on that now.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Now you've just upset me

meanie

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There was a three minute long video apology with a bow and everything! I don’t know why so much of the internet just outright forgot that happened.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 and Rew like this.
  23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I have a vague recollection of it. I was really hoping for good news that I'd just missed.

You dashed my hopes.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    COVID has ****ed up Nintendo so badly that I’m not even sure we can fully appreciate the ramifications just yet. If anything Prime 4 at least has the benefits of being made by a partner rather than in-house.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Covid's naffed up loads of stuff.

Once you reminded me of the delay I realised it would be a while before we hear anything. In all honesty I'm expecting now MP4 to be for the Switch Pro (which is a badly kept secret right now)

Jedi Ben likes this.