main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Quite a few new writers to the boards, it's really cool :)

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had a dream last night in which my college roommate and @Briannakin called to say there was going to be a new mod and wanted me and my roommate to hear before it was made public. I was confused because, while this person has a username, she hasn’t been here in over a decade. I woke up before finding out who the new mod was if it wasn’t her.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Update: that is indeed what we decided to do. So I have one day plus one week left at this job and then a summer to mostly relax.

Also, the CDC updated their guidance today to say that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks in any case, indoors or outdoors and even in crowded places and around unvaccinated people, unless necessary to comply with regulations and business policies. So I feel more comfortable in the Ohio mask mandate ending June 2 and in going to amusement parks now.

4. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Honestly, even when things are "back to normal", I'd much rather prefer wearing masks in crowded areas. Sure, maybe COVID is a lesser risk, but there's flu viruses and other things and after getting extremely sick from other non-COVID viruses in the past, this entire pandemic situation really emphasized the fact that people are a huge source of gross and I don't want their germs :p . On the other hand, perhaps people who ARE sick will learn from this pandemic and perhaps be considerate of others and wear a mask. That would also be a good change.

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I almost never get seriously sick from anything. Usually a mild cold about once a year, but the side effects of the second COVID shot hit me harder than any illness since elementary school. I get that there's a lot of yucky stuff out there, but it's not at a level that I personally am concerned about. Masks are more effective at preventing the wearer from spreading germs than preventing the wearer from collecting germs anyway, and speaking of which...

I'm definitely keeping a handful of masks and wearing them in the future if I have to go out with a cold or the like. :)

6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Oh, wow, you must have a really good immune system! A few years ago, I caught something so nasty that I was bed-ridden for days with a high fever, was barely able to move, missed 2 months of school, had a terrible cough for over 6 months, and developed multiple secondary bacterial infections. To this day, I still have no idea what it was but from then on, I always got a flu vaccine and happy to be getting the COVID one soon! Being really sick seriously sucks!

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m glad you’re able to work out the summer plans.

I’m still being paranoid because I know people don’t want me dead, but they still don’t care who lives or dies and that’s not okay by me. So it’ll still be a while before I strip off masks in public. Meanwhile, I’m going to a restaurant being harassed for requiring proof of vaccination for dining in.

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I've never been sick like that. The worst I've ever had was a cold as a kid that made me want to do nothing but sleep while home from school one day. I wasn't interested in the usual daytime TV shows I always watched on a sick day.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    In 2003, I got home from being a missionary and came down with a throat infection within the week. I spent three weeks in bed before my mother took me to the ER and said that I was starting the semester on Monday and couldn’t sit up for the duration of one class. I got some heavy-duty medications and was able to recover enough to start the semester as planned. The worst I had otherwise was a lung infection that gave me 40% lung capacity. I still got bronchitis or pneumonia once a year until this year, when I spent so much time inside that I never had the usual exposure issues. But I’ve been paranoid to a fault because I know I have these pulmonary issues and have not gotten it.

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That doesn't sound fun. (The like is one of sympathy.)

For those with a history of major illness like this, I get the concern of general germy yuckiness. If you feel safer with a mask for what it does to protect you, then by all means wear one and I would never shame you for doing so. But to put it carefully, I don't see a strong argument for everyone wearing masks all of the time in case they encounter someone like that (not that you were necessarily trying to make that argument). I would of course put one on if I were around someone like that extensively and they politely requested it.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m looking forward to more normal life, but my major change is that I’m taking the option to work from home because I know exactly which coworker got who sick whenever things go around the office. Courtnie, one of the managers, is almost always the index case. I once had someone accuse me of causing their congenital heart disease by coming into work with a sinus infection, but that’s a different issue. :)

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hello everyone, I'm back! I had to take some forced time off from the boards because our router died a sudden death (yeah, things were definitely going too well until now, right?) and once it was replaced I had to catch up with all the work stuff before I came here.

I think you made the right choice @jcgoble3. Enjoy a proper summer vacation while you can!

@mavjade Any news from the job front?

My friend got vaccinated this week with AstraZeneca (which I'm getting too) and she had zero side effects. I took it as an encouraging sign, but then she reminded me that, given her former profession as a humanitarian worker, she's been vaccinated against a lot more stuff than the rest of us, including some diseases I had never heard of, so she's probably as close as it gets to immortality :p

I'll probably continue wearing a mask for quite some time, but I have to say that it's beginning to get on my nerves to not be able to see people's faces. I feel that the world has become a lot more impersonal, for lack of a better word. Does anyone else feel like that?

13. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Same. My immune system is also good. I can get a cold and then I'm about to die (or so I think in the moment ;) ) but hardly anything else affects me. Last time I had a real flu was in 2007 I think. But I may be wearing a mask more frequent in the future, mostly to protect others if I have a "sneezy day" but also for the signal of "keep distance" when normal flu is on high levels. And I assume the hand disinfection has come to stay. I believe the shops will keep that even when the pandemic is over. Of course less people will use it, but I'm sure some of us will, even though to a lesser extent.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's kinda interesting here in NYC. People are starting to not wear masks when in the parks (I live close to the less known large park in NYC) but most people when walking along the streets are still wearing masks. Which I think is a good idea, the sidewalks can get pretty crowded sometimes.

No, not yet. Turns out the big meeting with all the higher ups and HR is next week, but everyone sees to think the same thing, they are going to lay people off.

15. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    [face_phbbbbt] Those situations are the worst. Knowing something will happen, but not what it's going to be.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel, and we have Norwegians here:

[​IMG]

from

17. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    På vegne av nordmenn her i forumet, tusen takk for hilsenen Söta Bror.

(On behalf of Norwegians in this forum, thanks a lot for the greetings, Dear Brother.)

18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Just got my first jab! I'm now in the waiting area where I was told to wait 10 minutes before I leave. I did a little dance coming out of the doctor's office. The nurses are still laughing.

19. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Yay, congrats @Chyntuck! [face_party]

I got my first one today too (Pfizer, which is what I was hoping for) and I think when I go out again later I'm going to get my first iced coffee of the year to celebrate. [face_laugh] I got very emotional waiting to leave the clinic, which I honestly didn't expect, because for the first time in a long time it feels like maybe things can be okay again.

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Kid is sick again (asthma) because all of a sudden it's cold down here. The bad thing is I've run out of sick leave, which means that so far I've had three days unpaid leave. Tomorrow he'll be off again and he's a bit devastated because he'll miss out on the cool school activities they run for 'under eights' day and because he really likes school. Meanwhile I'll be cursing the fact that I have to write lesson plans even though I'm not being paid because I'm a good teacher, and that's what good teachers do.

Ugh. Blerk.

21. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I have to go to Sacramento with mom tomorrow and miss work because she forgot she had to update her notary status in the middle of familial dramas... but seeing as it was both a complicated cholecystectomy recovery had by my father (the anaesthesia hit him wrong, led to all sorts of medical ack) AND plumbing issues where the symptom was an increasingly hot kitchen floor... mom totally gets a pass on this one due to it also being tax season.

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Three days after the dreaded AstraZeneca vaccine I still have zero side effects. My mobile internet is a lot faster though, now that I can broadcast in 5G :p

Meanwhile, Mr Chyn got the vaccine on Wednesday evening, and he's been running a steady fever since yesterday. Men are wimps.

Positive vibes your way, @Kit' @DaenaBenjen42 [:D]

23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Good for you, and hooray for no side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    [:D] (I'm up. Its 5am, but I'm up. What possessed her to schedule for 11am? Hee.)

And I think I said it before, but the moderna vacc was bad for me, both times, but I might have been a bit more miserable for the second injection than I was for the first. It depends on how sensitive one is to certain things, and I'm still wondering if I should have taken the benadryl that was recommended for my brother in law.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yay for people getting the jab! I've heard a stronger reaction to it is better because it means your body is learning how to fight it better, but I've also heard that the Moderna just sucks for everyone. I dont even have an appointment yet for the second shot. It's likely going to be July.

As for me, work is driving me crazy and somedays I am honestly thinking about quitting because (and I know it's stereotypical) I hate my boss and she's making life hell. Basically, our manager is still on medical leave and still wont be back till early June. My one co-worker and I have split his 40-hour/week workload and are trying to do his role, AND KEEP UP WITH OUR OWN WORKLOAD, while only getting 10 extra hours each. Naturally, we have triaged the tasks and we now have summer students (which we had to take time out of everything to train) helping us out so we have a bit of a system and are keeping afloat even though we are dropping the ball on some less important things from our own workload. WELL OUR BOSS HAS TAKEN ISSUE WITH SOME OF THAT STUFF (social media, RENEWING EVENT PERMITS FOR NEXT NEW YEARS EVEN THOUGH THE LIKELY WONT HAPPEN DUE TO COVID, planning some fundraiser I could 100% turf off to the summer staff but for some reason she wont let me).

Anyways, so I'm going to see what happens when our manager returns. I am still looking for a new job but if the environment our boss is creating doesnt change, I'm just going to quit and go back to freelancing. I am not doing what I was hired to do, let alone what I was educated in, and I think a lot of my unhappiness has stemmed from that.

ANYWAY, I have worked so many hours this week that I have gained myself a 4 day weekend!!! Well, Monday is a stat holiday here anyway. AND I NEED IT! I thought about going to this really fancy spa out in the countryside, but with all the COVID restrictions, the experience just wouldn't be worth the money (but I'm considering doing it for my birthday next month). I still might just take off and drive down the highway, just for some new scenery. My sister and I might go for a hike and another partially vaccinated friend and I might go out for coffee.

But for today, I really gotta do some tidying up and laundry.