main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No problem was just curious.

wmu'14 likes this.
  2. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    This one might be a bit less controversial (and I'll say when TCW does do them, it does them well): I like the bigger battles in 2003. Not that TCW didn't have them. I just feel like you can go arc after arc after arc w/out them. It was a staple of the 2003 series. Not as much in TCW. Probably due to technical limitations or budget? Who knows.

I want to see BATTLES, not skirmishes. They are something that makes SW unique from other action franchises b/c a lot of other franchises don't have a large intergalactic war going on w/ both sides having vast armies.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    darthfettus2015 and Count Yubnub like this.
  3. When i was a kid i believed TCW was a continuation of 2003 Clone Wars never believed TCW was more important than 2003 Clone Wars or more canon i think TCW could fit well with 2003 but with a little changes like Ventress being a Rattataki or Grievous having a better role
    i liked 2003 Clone Wars more because had better duels and atmosphere for me i also wished the 2003 Clone Wars episodes had a longer duration

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2021
    wmu'14 likes this.
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    really good way of watching them is edited into vol 1 and 2.
    was hard to choose but chose 2008..tho micro series has some of my favourite moments in the saga that I still hold to be Canon as they're too good not to be

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    What still amazes me is how much content they got into it for each episode's brief runtime. And its all memorable.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    There are a few things where I really think the microseries clearly outdoes the 2008 TCW. One obvious one is that the microseries starts right after AOTC and ends right before ROTS, and thus connects those two movies much better. Another one is the character of Anakin. He's so much like movie-Anakin, and it works better, IMO.

Obviously the animation is much better in the 2008 TCW.

7. TCW was very boring to watch for me when i was a kid never watched the show again until Maul return for like in 2014-2015

Prequelfan93 likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I like the animation although not as much as the 2008 show

9. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    The 2003 show has better animation than the first season of TCW I'd say, but the later seasons blow it away.

10. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I finished it. It was okay.

I like how Maul's fighting style better matched the movie.
    The clones vs Mandalorians was unique. I liked that battle w/ the jet packs / jettroopers / Gunships/ AT-TE.
    I liked how that battle contrasted w/ the Maul/Ahsoka fight. Good editing.
    I liked the opening battle w/ Obi-Wan & Anakin vs the Seps. Wish TCW had been more of that :(
    I liked the Darth Vader scene
    I liked Ahsoka's conversation w/ Rex just before Order 66

I thought in the end it was nothing unique other then giving Ahsoka's TCW arc an ending. The Siege of Mandalore still didn't really have the scale I was hoping for. I don't care much for Ahsoka & Maul (tho Ahsoka's growing on me) & them being the stars of the arc.........eh.........

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. i dislike how Anakin already is in his Episode 3 persona in the TCW movie while in 2003 Clone Wars we see more of AOTC Anakin in both multimedia project and 2003 show we see more of Padawan Anakin

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2021
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    TCW just looks really wooden at first

HolyKenobi93 and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The 2003 Micro Series is much better from what I've seen. I've never been able to get through the TCW because there are too many bad/stupid episodes.

I like it because it fits perfectly between AOTC and ROTS and does a lot to make those movies better. Grevious is a dumb throwaway character without the micro-series. It also helps make movie Anakin a better, more believable character.

There's plenty enough plot and characterization if you pay attention. Granted, people seem to need to be hit in the face with this stuff these days. I guess I'm just getting old and crusty

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    The early seasons of TCW were ugly to look at George seems obsessed with CGI and there were better looking CGI cartoons on TV at the time as well such as Jimmy neutron.

I always found it boring and could never get over the continuity problems and retconning Dave and George were causing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2021
  15. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Speaking of the micro series I've noticed the Ithorian Jedi is back in the canon and was killed by Grievous, sadly I can't find any mention of the Tal Jedi being back in canon though ☹️

cwustudent likes this.
  16. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Probably because of how the Talz were portrayed in the Clone Wars episode "Trespass."

17. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I prefer the 2008 series because it has more varied and deeper storylines. I also think the micro series goes too OTT with the action at times. However, the micro series has it's own merts.

I agree with this. Asides from the scene were he eats bugs, the micro series captures movie Anakin a lot better than the 2008 series. Matt Lucas sounds a lot more like him and he captures his immaturity.

I also think the 2008 series misses out by not showing Anakin's knighting and other early arcs. Of course under Legends continuity, the micro series was supposed to lead into TCW. But that's no longer the case in current canon.

sxnofthesuns and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2021
    I like both but if I'm honest with myself, I think I prefer the microseries and the MMP. Those were what I grew up with, and like others have mentioned, there's this direct continuity with the movies where we get to see Anakin get knighted, and his growth from Padawan to General. I loved Mat Lucas's interpretation because he does sound a lot more like Hayden.

19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Did a rewatch of Volume 1 after a very long time and its still as good as I remember. In some ways, I enjoy it more than the 2008 TCW. It gives the Clone War a proper grandeur and scale. Many of the battles in TCW, especially in the early seasons, felt really small. Only few dozen clones fighting few dozen droids. That was of course because of budget and technical reasons, but still. Its nice to see hundreds of Republic gunships and fighters in the air, and thousands of soldiers fighting on the ground.

And I still consider Volume 1 and parts of Volume 2 to be part of my "personal canon".

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The one thing the micro series definitely has going for it is that you can easily sit down and watch it

21. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I didn’t know the micro series was a thing until a couple days ago. I liked it quite a bit. Seems a little darker than TCWs which I prefer but that may be recency bias. I think they did a good job with Anakin and Grievous especially. Don’t really prefer one to the other but I was expecting nothing from this and was pleasantly surprised. I wish I’d have watched it when it came out.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I like the micro-series overall. It seems to fit better with the darkness of AOTC and ROTS. But I prefer TCW because it explored some things that we don't see in the movies. It establishes Coruscant as pretty unpleasant, and that's more in line with what we see in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Overall, I think Ahsoka and Maul are the most interesting characters, at least for me. I like how Anakin is presented as a good but flawed man in this series. He definitely has some problems, and he should have seen a therapist. You get a lot of tragic vibes from him. The main problem I have with TCW lies with Grievous and Dooku. I think Dooku is at times too wooden and too sinister. He should be portrayed more as an evil aristocrat who doesn't know that he's evil, much like we find him in the micro-series. Plus, Grievous is more accurate to his EU self in the micro-series than TCW. I don't mind how TCW portrays Grievous when I watch it, and I even laugh at it, but he seems too incompetent in the series. Otherwise, my complaints about the series are limited to how Ki-Adi-Mundi was portrayed, but he doesn't appear much. I like Plo Koon and pretty much everyone else.

Ahoska Tano was not a character I liked too much in Seasons 1 and 2. Seasons 3 through 5 made me like her a lot, and I'm glad we got to see her in Season 7. I know some people didn't like the notion of Maul returning, but I thought it was good. However, I watched Ahsoka's duel with Maul at my friend's house last month, and she was confused because she thought Maul was dead. Lol. You'd be surprised how many people are still out there who think that. I also think that TCW was effective in showing Sidious Palpatine as this evil sorcerer and crafty politician. He's actually pretty scary when he is Sidious. Having said that, his most impressive action scene is in that dreamscape when he defeats Yoda, which I think was Sidious using his mind to try to overcome Yoda's. Won the duel, but didn't conquer Yoda. His fight against Darth Maul and Savage Opress was not really impressive because Maul and Savage are not dedicated Force-wielders like Sidious. He basically played with them until he decided to kill Savage and imprison Maul. Sidious is extremely powerful and is definitely the most powerful Sith Lord of all time. He's just not that good of a duelist. It's his speed and power that allowed him to overcome Maul, not his skill as a martial artist. I mean, it's an impressive scene to watch. It's just that people think Darth Maul is more powerful than he is. Darth Sidious would have had more trouble if he was fighting Exar Kun, Emperor Vitiate, or especially Darth Krayt. Krayt is perhaps the main Sith Lord who could have given Sidious a run for his money.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    CampOfSorgan and Count Yubnub like this.
  23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I prefer the 03 Cartoon. Just much cooler more impressive, over the top yes but it fit within itself. TCW is fine but on average its lower.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Clone Wars. I think it was better at capturing the mood of the PT. That scene where Anakin and Padme wave goodbye to each other while he's taking off in his ship is one of my favorite moments in the franchise.

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    TCW definitely is better, although some things were done better in 2003 clone wars. I think TCW went too directly to ROTS-era with Anakin especially. It was total rewrite of his journey and now he changes so much right after AOTC and remains similar 3 years. But in general I find Genndy's show over-the-top what comes to action. It was borderline ridiculous at times. Like Mace Windu punching droids with his bare hands and stuff... lol.[face_rofl] Never liked Grievous in that either, he was so OP. Now he is under-powered though....well I like him better in ROTS, but in TCW he could've been bit better.

I generally dislike Tartakovsky- style too. That is just my opinion though. But on the other hand scale in battles was far more impressive in that older clone wars cartoon. And focus was more on battles.

To be fair TCW often lost it focus completely. We had episodes about mandalorian school children drinking poisoned tea and droids shopping fruits for senators.... seriously what that has to do with "The Clone Wars", sure it happened at the same time, but those were weird and rather pointless episodes. Still TCW had some of the best star wars stories too (like Umbara-arc, Onderon-arc and Order 66-arc) in it or at least new ideas and new characters that captivated entire generation of new fans. Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Saw Gerrera, Hondo Ohnaka. What that old CW had? Durge? He is back in canon btw. But he is mostly just Star Wars version of Tetsuo-transformation in Akira. Never was very fond of him. Asajj was also so much better in TCW, in old CW she was just some evil dark sider who quicky disappeared, in TCW she was fleshed out much more.

If we compare the entire older legends- continuity about clone wars-era before TCW-project including comics, novels and games it is harder to say which one is better. EU had some very good stories, like battle of Jabiim-arc in comics. Liked many of those ideas a lot. So I can say some things were just better there. I generally would've liked to see more Clone Wars-era legends-stories saved to new continuity, since not all conflict with TCW in any way. They did took some and even referenced them in TCW. Mon Cala- battle was even remade.
    I would like to see some parts of Genndy's show either remade or referenced(and canonized that way) though. Like TCW never showed us how Asajj and Anakin first met, how Anakin got knighted, how Palpatine was kidnapped etc. Battles of Muunilinst and Dantooine would be cool to see in any canon-source too.

So in the end older clone wars cannot even be compared to The Clone Wars. They focused on so different things. Story-wise TCW is much stronger despite all those bad episodes it had. What comes to action old show sure had more powerful jedi and Grievous. But most episodes had no story other than "jedi fight" to be honest.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    cwustudent likes this.