main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "If you can see us, we are dangerous indeed. But that is nothing to the peril you face if you cannot see us, and all you can hear is our laughter."

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

Brother Aharon of the 9th order, work in Progress ,voted successor to the voted Lieutenant of the Storm wing( who specialized in large set piece battles and close combat). Caliban born Dark Angel(noted by green cloak) one of Corswains company.

Aharon is my name in Hebrew so its basically me as a space marine

Gamiel likes this.
  3. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Somone actually worked out the difference between support for the z middle earth miniatures game and Hours heresy.

Despite the fact that the their has not been a Tolkien film in several years and the upcoming Amazon show is a few years off and set in a do different age

Middle earth has gotten 10 new named Character models in 2020-2021. Eomer, Tree beard, Quick beam, Snaga and Ghrishank, Butterbur, Hary the gate keeper, Bill the Pony, Dain Iron Foot, Thorin III stonehelm.

They also got a Unnamed Ork HQ and a few troops choices like the Crebain from Dunland, the Bats. And a new unit of Easterlings.

in 2020-2021 Horus Heresy despite a ongoing series of novels that is now at 64 books got the following

Named characters (both 2020)
    The Lion
    Qin XA of the White Scars.

generic HQ units(both 2021)
    Word Bearers Legion Praetor in Artificer armor
    Word Bearers Praetor in Terminator armor

Troops choices(all 2020)
    Dark Angels Knights Cenobium
    Dark Angels Death wing Companions
    Dark Angels Interemptor Squad.

The height lords may have gotten some terminators when the DA troops came out I think.

I am lucky, I play 1st legion and got the bulk of the releases for heresy recently but there are guys in the heresy war gaming group I play in that have not seen a new release for there army since 2016 and anyone who plays white scars has to feel left out as they still don't have the Khan.

So a licensed game whose franchise is mostly in hibernation is getting more release than an active IP the company actually owns.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  4. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Put the legion symbols transfers on a lot of Heresy era minis in had not done that for yet.

On great thing about the Legion Ancient and his banner amd the forge world Legion transfer sheet is that standard is blank unlike most of the 40k standards which are embossed so you have to paint the design(I am looking at you Azrael and Ezekiel and your back banners!) And the transfer sheet comes with two options for it(and you can use the other on vehicles or one of the more chunky dreads like a casteferrum or Leviathan.

[​IMG]

The examples shown above are the two banners.

I went with the Angel of Death one on the right.

Tomorrow I will go back and apply wing and squad symbols to the the ones that need that.

For Brother Aharon I decided to make him Fire wing instead( with a gold fire wing transfer on his right greave. Making him like the lore Character Vastael a fire wing member who had served as a Deveastator Marine and thus was Close to the Dread bringer Redloss. Since model comes with a rondel that has an Raptor Imperialis ( meaning he fought in a battle the Emperor himself fought at) thethis would make me change the lore of my OC stand in to a Terran born Marine rather than Calibanite (most of this wing were Terran) and this wing had worked closely with the Luna Wolves/sons of Horus per there lore but later hated the Sons with a passion during the heresy for the Sons betrayal of the Imperium

So his backstory is he was one of the youngest Terran born members of the legion in fact his first deployment with the Legion was the discovery of Caliban and the Primarch making him actually closer to the first caliban born inductees like Redloss,Corswain, Nemiel and Zahariel in terms of experience and even friendship and as such he adopted even more of the Calibanite. Customs than most of the Non Caliban born members of the first.

As a member of the Firewing he served as a Stalker Champion which hunts the enemies greatest leaders on the battlefield rather than a Mortitat which is more of an assassin or a regular champion which is more formalised(example Corswain) duelist. Being that the 1st has multiple hierarchies he is a member of the Firewing and of the 9th order , the 9th being the order of the Hekatonystika, that was up mostly of the Champions from the Various chapters of the legion which the legion termed Paladins and whose leader was First Master Ajalos and later Corswain as the Legion Champion. Having served alongside the Luna Wolves he knows and respects Loken but his closest friend amongst the legions is the Dread bringer Redloss with whom he served together as a sergeant in the same company before their various promotions through the ranks.

This is the first time I have ever done a OC. A friend of mine is doing a RPG campaign based in the scouring era about a group of Astartes from several chapters working together to hunt the traitors as they retreat to the Eye during the scouring and I wanted my character to be first legion and this is what I came up with. This allows use to use a slightly modified version of the old Fantasy Flight Games Death watch RPG rule set(since the concept is similar to the deathwatch, a group of marines from different chaoters legions working alongside each other but this time hunting the traitors instead of Xenos)

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

wow

anakincol and Iron_lord like this.
  6. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Yes wow.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Seems somebody was complaining a bit to early:

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  8. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Still,

That is the one Of two legions that already has a ton of HQ units( Dorn, Sigismund, Pollux and a its own special command squad) the other being the Sons of Horus(who have Hours, Abbadon, Like n, and the upcoming Malgohurst.)

Would have liked to see the Iron Warriors, Iron Hands, White Scars, hell even the Ultra marines(whose only character outside of Guilliman, Tylos Rubio is not even playable in a Ultra marine army unless you pay the point cost for a Knight errant. Get some love instead.

There beautiful models but I question the decision making at forge world when there is still a legion missing its Primarch(White Scars) and the vast majority of legions have no named character outside of there Primarchs and instead they give us two new models for a legion that has 6 unique HQ models.

And that's not even getting into the fact that more than any characters or legion specifically units if Forge world went engaged with Heresy fans and players they would find out there is one thing most want more than anything.

Plastic or even Resin MARK II Marines to come back.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, never. If the Iron Warriors players get stuff they can't nurture that bitterness that Iron Warriors are famous for

:p

10. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009

Rerelease of Dark Imperium novels 1 and 2 plus release of the new one in that trilogy.

Heavy intercessors will be available outside of kill team.

Captain with Mastercrafted bolt rifle also finally available individually.

New start collecting space marine that is basically a update of the older Vanguard box from 8th( monopose infliltrators/incursors(replacing reivers), eliminators, supressors and a implusor with a Photos LT.)

Also Necron start collecting box

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  11. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    I am tempted to get the captain just as a painting project because that's a nice mini.but its very Ultramarinish to the point that modification looks to be a pain in the tuchas.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The only Ultramarine symbol on the model looks like a transfer, or painted on, to me, rather than modelled on.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Agree

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would agree though that making it less generic might be tricky. Making it more Dark Angel-ish might require careful greenstuffing of a hood, for example.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Will have to disagree, with a different paint jobb nobody will think of it as looking Um-ish.

Also I think just using an alternative sholderpad, and/or adding something else from the DA upgrade kits to make it more DA would be so much easier than greenstuffing a hood

16. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    That tends to be harder on this types of kits. the characters like this are almost always monopose and Have parts that make it hardsr.(I have tried something similar with two different versions of the Primarchs chaplain and it was a pain in th but and looks a bit winky). I have issues getting my hands on green stuff as well. I think I will just stick with my Lazarus as a Chapter master kit bash.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If anybody have trouble coming up with a colour sheme for your Chapter, Regiment, Warband, or similar so is something I suggest is to get your hands on children books about knights (grown up books would also work but they are seldom as well illustrated and/or mostly use black-n-white art) and take inspiration from the different heraldic colours knights, squiers, and men-at-arms are shown in, have on their shields and similar. I have come up with five different colour combinations that I think would work by this method

Was not really thinking about any of the upgrade parts that would change his pose, only the small things that you can have hanging from his belt, neck, shoulder pad trim, backpack or weapon.

18. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    The big aquila on the left pauldron of the regilar primaris is an issue. Thats really not something the Dark Angels,Space Wolves, white scars or raven guard and there successors do. That is more common on Ultramarines, Fists(except the Templars) or Blood Angel gene lines. The gold symbol on Master Lazarus for thr Dark Angels is smaller and more subdued. The same goes for the style of cloak which is very different from what you see on the Dark Angels models.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which primaris model are you refering to?

Rember the second Tenet of Aaron Dembski-Bowden - “It doesn’t matter who your daddy is” - if you want your DA or RW to be cream coloured with lots of gold bling and a tendency for upfront dueling is ther nothing in their gene-seeds origin that stops you from doing that. Every Chapter can theoretically have a descendant that is their opposite in culture or warfare.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We have been given a taste of what the comming Adeptus Mechanicus codex will give:

And this part of the article:
    Makes me interested to hear if anybody have some kind of Forge World ideas or AdMech forces colour schemes in the back of their minds?

Personally I think it could be interesting to see something Harkonnen/Dune inspiered, using their book colours (blue and white) for the robes but the movie colours (industrial/oily black) for the mechanical parts.

anakincol likes this.
  21. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    [​IMG]
    The left shoulder on this guy is an issue.[​IMG]

The cloak on both of these. They are integral parts of the mini and for DA they are not really that fitting.

For DA if you going to do a cloak instead of full robes it really should look more like.

[​IMG]

Or tnis[​IMG]

Both of which are more of A full cloak instead of a half cloak.

The company master on the bottom is nice because it has more of the old Native American motif to it.too.

Its not so much a painting g thing but the size of the cloaks and the way they are depcited.

But overall I love the monk robe motif too much. So I am going to pass of the captain and likely get the heavy intercessors

22. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    The fallen index in White Dwarf was nothing to get excited about.

Basically a reprint of the Fallen stuff from the Vigilius ablaze stuff

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @anakincol it seems the Fallen box and Ezekiel model are among the "selling fast" stuff, which I think could mean that they will stop producing them in the near future
    That shoulder pad is not fixated on the shoulder but one that you put on yourself so you could just change it to another one if you did not like it.

To each their own, I persoanlly think the way the primaries model wear their clocaks would not really stand out for a DA model

Fully understand and hope they make some robed primaris (personally i would like to see some space marine bodies dressed in kontusz )

at least based on the official art do I have to say that at least the WS and RG use them, even if they are not in gold (WS seems to like them black, while the RG like them white)

I know you ain't going to buy it but I just want to point out that you could paint it in another colour than gold, like red (mimicing the red wings on their Chapter symbol) black (like that of the Ravenwings' armour), or white (as the official art depict their decorative wings in)

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  24. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Currently only the Master.Lazarus and Lieutenant zaccariah are Dark Angels Primaris models that have the robes, also the the regular and Vanguard Librarians also have them but those are.thought to kit bash into anything but librarians.

I was hoping they would have added a.new spare on the DA combat patrol that came out a few months back that gave you the option of primaris with robes but they did not even if the art is showing a lot of Primaries in robes. It means a lot of green stuff work which I do not have (local hobby places don't carry he stuff.and .my skills are not good enough.

So despite.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All showing robed Primaris Dark Angels.

You only have a few.options.

The blade guard are ok when painted.up in either green wing or death wing colors with the tabards and swapping some helmets to hoods or other helmet marks.but there just an awesome kit that is great for almost any loyalist chapter.

Really I just want something like an upgrade kit or a DA.specific veteran intercessor kit.with the robed bodies the way we have the DA.company veteran/fallen kit for first born. Hell I would have even accept a single chapter specific chest option on the Upgrade kit the way they used to have them on the firstborn upgrade kits.(primaris upgrade kits are a bunch of chapter shoulder pads, two or three head options, and a few weapons)

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  25. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    So I am halfway through reading swords of calth.

Minor gripe.

Ventris is described wearing Gravis pattern armor with a boltstorm gauntlet. Yet the cover of the book and the model released for him has him in what looks to be artifificer Tactitus.

So he really should look like this
    [​IMG]

Rather than this.
    [​IMG]