main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Bowser's Fury is six to seven hours for full completion, with the mainline ending in half of that. It wouldn't be worth it on it's own, but there is a decent level of replayability since you can tackle the shines however you want.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    :p I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go all the way with beating every level with all 5 characters, but I'm definitely going to aim for all stars, stamps and gold flags. Halfway through World 6 so far.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It’s always a constant battle for me of wanting to see everything Nintendo puts in a Mario game and quitting before I completely despise it. :p

That said, the main content of 3D World is stellar. But once you get to those bonus worlds... phew.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi!

I've been playing Super Mario 2 on the original NES console. Gotten into retro gaming recently. It's been really fun so far although I haven't made it past Level 2-3 yet. I love SMB2 and that you can choose from 4 characters to play.

Next up is SMB 3 which is an awesome game too.

tom and Rew like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mario 2 gets sidelined a lot but it really did introduce a lot of elements that became core parts of the Mario franchise in subsequent installments. It does, however, have the weirdest character backstories.

Well, that's kind of the case with every "Star Road"-type set of levels in 2D Mario games, isn't it? That's where you start blowing through those 50 extra lives you've accumulated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Hence my aforementioned dilemma of knowing when to walk away. :p Although Super Mario World is the one I do enjoy completing, but that’s probably because I’ve been playing it since birth. Odyssey I completed as well, but I admit I did use the frog glitch for the final moon. Now that they’ve patched it out, I doubt I’ll ever do it again. [face_laugh]

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Nintendo would never but since they were discontinuing a lot of Mario related content, the joke was that Nintendo was killing him so the internet ran with it.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay, I had to check the date and time on that because I thought maybe I fell for a belated April Fool's joke, lol.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, the 3D Mario All-Stars game is indeed now dead, both as disc and digital.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm waiting for a truly vile shoe to drop, like the exact same collection but it also has Galaxy 2 and still costs $60 regardless of whether or not you bought the first one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why sell the 3 games for $60 when you can sell each one for $60? The fans will put up with it.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    No that comes after the rerelease of 3D All-Stars + Galaxy 2.

Which I will buy dammit.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

King Bob-omb, Chargin' Chuck and Pauline are among the playable characters. Controller buttons and motion control options. There's also a Battle Golf mode. But that Speed Golf mode is really going to be what sells this game, I think.

Ramza likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

I believe at this point I’m willing to declare it my Game of the Year.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just bought toadstool tour last week lol.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

"Bring me the girl!"

18. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Finally got to try Super Mario RPG for the SNES and it was quite fun. I didn't get very far, but it's definitely something I'd love to play again someday.

Rew, christophero30 and PCCViking like this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That's my all time favorite game. I was able to win it. I loved the boss theme music.

Rew, christophero30 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  20. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That's awesome @PCCViking
    I really enjoyed playing it even though it was for only one hour. Hope to try again soon!

PCCViking likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    A hint about Super Mario RPG: you can go back to earlier worlds and fight certain enemies again to gain experience points. That's how I did it.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks for the hint.
    I hope to get a new SNES Classic that actually works; if not I might just splurge for the individual Mario RPG cart, as I've got the original SNES console.

christophero30 and PCCViking like this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    But not having a SNES Classic will burn a hole in your soul. I suppose you could just collect the games separately. The advantage is you would have access to more games. 718. Although I'd just order a new one from a seller who has a good rating.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Dagobahsystem and PCCViking like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh. This was from the leak last year, but proto sprites for SMW show that Mario was to have wings originally, instead of a cape. That may actually explain why that power-up is a feather:

25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Had a fun little run up through Level 4-3 in the original SMB without warping the other day. I am using the original NES console hooked up to a CRT television.

I missed the 1 UP on 1-2 when Mario hit his head on a brick and missed the upper platform and I missed the 1 UP on 3-1 when you can chase the Koopa shell to bump off a buncha guys. But I found the one on 1-1 and collected over 200 coins so managed to get 3 extra lives. I didn't bother with trying to get unlimited in level 3.

But 14 stages on 6 lives was pretty good for me. Amazing how this game still holds up; it's so fun to play.