main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Five Worst Dates - OTP Challenge #20 - Kit & Del (FoS ficlets)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kit', May 13, 2021.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Title: Five Worst Dates
    Characters: Kithera (Rin), Del
    Challenge: OTP #20 - It's a Date
    Time period: 38BBY
    Genre: Romance (I hope)

Summary: Taking your beloved on a date is supposed to be easy right? Lights, candles, music, a bit of petty theft, the odd pod race and of course being imprisoned by Hutts. Del finds out that taking Rin on a date isn't as easy as he thought.

Notes: There are five terrible dates (seven chapters in all though) but each is very, very short.

Kahara likes this.
  2. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Aperitif or How it all began

“New beer?” Del asked, leaning against the bar. The pale amber liquid foamed gently in the tall glass. It tasted of burnt cream with a heat that slowly spread through his body. Jor’oune’s face lit up in a genuine smile as the barkeep stopped polishing long enough to lean over and tap one of the long, golden pipes.

“Tapped a new keg this morning,” Jor’oune winked at him, “in honour of you and the little lady finally getting your stuff together and learning how to communicate.”

Del glanced across to where Kit was laughing with B’ess. Kit was lifting drinks down from the shelves and passing them to B’ess who poured measured shots into glasses. Occasionally one of them would squint at the flimsy that lay in front of them and then pull down a different set of bottles and start again. Del watched her work, light fingers and smiles as the two women bantered. She glanced across at him and her smile broadened. His face grew warm and it wasn’t from the beer. Del ducked his head suddenly embarrassed and looked to where Nicco and Estra were lounging on one of the couches. Zallie was there too, snuggled on Nicco’s lap listening intently as the boy read to her from a brightly coloured book.

“We’re done!” B’ess called and Jor’oune rapped his knuckles on the old wooden bar top to get Del’s attention.

“Better go and taste what they’ve made,” he said with a smile. “Gotta do what the missus wants, otherwise it’ll be a cold bed. Something you’ve got to learn again, I’m sure.”

Del grinned.

“I’m not planning on ever making her upset.”

“Ha!” Jor’oune grinned, “plans and reality are often different things. Nice to see you happy again lad, you spent too many years angry at what the universe had given you.”

Del frowned slightly and went to reply, but Jo’ourne was already making his way down the bar to where B’ess and Rin had set up the glasses. Del followed reluctantly, staring at the myriad of tiny drinking vessels lined up in neat rows on the countertop. He remembered some of the strange drinks they had concocted when he was a padawan, and the stranger drinks he had consumed to keep the pain at bay after she had died. He shook his head. This wouldn’t be like that. This was the start of something new and as fresh a beginning as the warm spring day had been.

Despite those thoughts, he paused for a second and then took the glass of beer with him, just in case he needed something more familiar.

“How many of these are going to kill me?” he asked, picking up one of the tiny glasses and eyeing the contents suspiciously. He held it up and it glinted greenly in the fading afternoon light.

“Not many,” Rin said with a shrug, “but B’ess and I found this flimsy and we figured that the bottles aren’t doing much but collecting dust, so we might as well try them. Might be something to offer the customers. Although I wouldn’t start with that one.”

Del’s eyes narrowed thinking that The drunken nerf would need to improve its clientele dramatically before anything that wasn’t amber and foamy would be wanted. Rin gave him a look of cherubic innocence and pushed a smaller glass towards him. He frowned at it.

Jo’ourne had put down his cloth and picked up the same, offering ito B’ess. Del thought for a moment that he could see some hesitancy in the way the older woman took the glass. So it wasn’t just him, that didn’t entirely trust Rin’s bar skills.

“A toast,” Jo’ourne declared, “to new love-”

“-and old love,” B’ess added.

They downed the alcohol. It burnt. One swift lick of fire that scorched his throat and made him cough.

“I hope old love doesn’t feel like that,” he said, shuddering as he put the glass back down. Rin made a face and put her own glass down, pushing it away.

“I hope so too,” she said, reaching towards Del’s beer. He pushed it over to her, taking the moment to brush her fingers with his and feel the warmth that spread from them; better than any alcohol.

“It doesn’t feel like that,” B’ess said, reaching for another small glass and dipping a finger in the contents before licking it clean, “but it does need work. Just because you are together, doesn’t mean you stop going on dates.”

“You two go on dates?” Del asked, barely keeping the amusement from his voice at the idea of B’ess and Jo’ourne out at one of local ‘eateries’.

“It don’t need to be fancy,” B’ess said defensively, “I’m not talking one of your grand balls. Just throw a rug on the ground and have a picnic.”

Del glanced across to where Rin was staring at him, grinning impishly.

“A date,” she said, picking up another tiny glass and handing it to Del. She raised her own to her lips. “I look forward to seeing what you come up with, my love.”

The last two words created another wave of heat. He smiled at her and raised the glass to his own mouth.

This time there was nothing but sweetness.

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet and promising start. ;)

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love the beginning of this

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thank you so much @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and @earlybird-obi-wan :)

Plink
    Date #1 - (Art Gallery)

Plink.

He watched her walk slightly ahead of him, delicate fingers trailing display cases in the overstuffed gallery. On bronzed wood walls, rich with age and dust hung a myriad of pictures, each one placed like a single piece of fruit on a tree branch. Ready to be consumed by the gazes of the gallery’s audience. He didn’t care so much about the art. She was the only thing he was drawn to. Long, blonde hair was piled on top of her head, the occasional wispy curl trailing down her face and caressing her pale cheeks. She turned and smiled at him, and his world shimmered and shone, obliterating everything else.

"Is this a date?" she asked. His eyes narrowed in spite of himself and he shook his head.

"This is work."

She said something that sounded like a 'harrumph' and went back to scanning the gallery's walls and neatly cluttered shelves. He ran his hand through his slowly greying hair and bit back a sigh. One day she would understand the difference between work and play.

“Did you see this one?” she asked, pointing at something in the cabinet. He blinked as if woken from a dream and leaned close to look at the tiny carved figurines in the box. “I think they’re genuine Keshiri glass.”

He smiled at her enthusiasm. She grinned in return and reached out to touch his hand.

“Do you like them?” he asked, feeling the warmth spread from where her fingers had touched his.

“I do,” she grinned and looked at the case again. Her hand untangled from his to lift the lid of the box and caress the carved figures. They disappeared.

Plink.

“We should keep going,” he said, wanting to take her hand back into his. Sometimes he wanted to hold her like that forever. “We wouldn’t want to get lost.”

“I don’t know,” she teased poking out her tongue, “I could get lost in here for a while. I mean did you see that darling little Zelosian statue? If I had that, I could stare at it forever.”

“I’m sure you could, my love,” he said, watching her with a smile on his face as she virtually skipped across the room to point at the statue. The tiny carving of two Zelosians stared from the shelf on which they’d been placed. Her hand trailed across the base and he caught the glint from the bejewelled bracelet she’d lifted only this morning.

Plunk.

The shelves were barer now, a single circle of dust, the only sign of change. She grinned at him and then ducked her head and blushed. She left the corner and headed back, sliding her hand into his. It didn’t really matter how long they’d been together, he mused as they trailed down the corridor after the rest of the tour group, her hand always just fit so perfectly inside of his. When they were together everything felt like it was going to be alright.

Her free hand lightly traced along the wall, across a myriad of tiny little carved silhouettes. Each face of some long-dead twi’lek carved in intricate detail from the tusks of some equally long dead animal. Fingers flittered, choosing their prey.

Plink. Clink. Plink.

She grinned at him again. “Why do you think people keep all this stuff? I mean is there such a thing as too much stuff? Would you even notice when things were missing?”

He laughed. “Are you trying to test that theory, Rin? Are you trying to see how long they take before they notice?”

“No,” she pouted but he could see she didn’t mean it. “I believe in the equitable redistribution of wealth. Some people have too much stuff.”

“How very Jedi of you,” he said and she snorted.

“The Jedi do not care about wealth,” she replied as they trailed at a distance behind the other sight-seers. “The Jedi care about the Jedi.”

“And the Force,” he reminded her. “And Peace, security-”

“Politics,” she interjected.

“And theft,” he said, eyebrows raised. She paused in front of another carved statue. She turned, grinning at him and then smiled as her hand extended, her fingers curved around the tiny little jewelled statue on the shelf. It disappeared into one of the many pockets that were hidden in the voluminous skirt.

Plunk.

“Good,” she said and grinned in a way that both thrilled and terrified him. "otherwise how would we know we were doing our job?”

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    fun with the two getting all that stuff

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I enjoyed the easy banter.

8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Another worst date (or rather no date at all) for our lovely duo. Thanks for reading @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and @earlybird-obi-wan - I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Come fly for me
    Date #2 - (Sporting Event)

“I’m not even going to ask if this is a date.”

Rin adjusted the chin strap of the helmet. She watched him give her an embarrassed grin and then scuff the sandy ground with his boot. The trailing woodwind of the Force ebbed and flowed with the wind. She grinned at him.

“Sorry,” he said quietly, “it’s just work, Rin.”

“With you everything is work.”

He shrugged like he always did when he wasn’t sure what to say. It was both endearing and infuriating. She frowned slightly. Two months since they’d both expressed their feelings for each other. Two months since that kiss in that garden. Two months since...She paused considering everything that had changed. Two months since her world had come together and felt right again. The Force trilled its peace and serenity everytime she was near him. It was a sound she’d lost when her Master died, regained briefly when she was with Qui-gon and then had disappeared when they had parted. It was a sound she’d thought she’d never hear again until that day in that garden when the melody had come together in just the right way.

She smiled at the thought and watched as he misinterpreted the expression.

“It’ll be fun?” he ventured, “I mean no-one will know what you can do. No-one will be any the wiser. We’ll win and then we’ll be out of here first chance we get.”

“And the winnings will be enough to keep The Lady in the air,” she finished. He gave that tiny infuriating shrug again.

“Yeah, for now.”

She frowned, playing with the selection of buttons in front of her, trying to remember exactly what did what from the quick tutorial she’d had from Kaaltara. The Mirialan was standing off nervously to one side, her arm bandaged in a sling. Periodically she would dart forward to check something on the outside of the pod racer, or give instructions to one of the small pit droids that were bustling around the engines. The music joined them, jostling for attention. First the tambour with its steady beat, mirroring the hammering of the bots.

“We could stay here,” she offered, “keep racing if I’m any good. Earn enough to get The Lady to a point where she wouldn’t need repairs quite so often.”

Del shook his head. Around them the noise of the audience was getting louder, flags were being waved. Now the brass, trying for her attention. Reminding her to listen and dance to the sound only she could hear.

“This is just a favour for Kaaltra. I doubt your disguise would fool anyone for long. They don’t let humans pod race, just remember that.”

“How could I forget?” Kithera blew the long strands of purple hair from her face. Her face was marked with a swirling design that criss-crossed each cheek and ran across her nose. “Maybe I should keep the purple hair? Maybe you like it better?”

He shook his head. “I like you for just being you Rin. I don’t really care what you look like.”

She grinned at him, her heart beating wildly in her chest. She listened as the music of the Force swelled around her. The stringed instruments joined in with the tambour and the brass. Nearby the siren sounded. Del nodded to her.

“Good luck. Keep safe.”

“Don’t die you mean.”

He paled a little and she wished she could take back her words. She gave him a cheesy grin as a way of apology and flicked the switches. Her engines sprang to life. Around her the other pod racers were doing the same. He nodded and made his way off the field, glancing back occasionally as if he wanted to say something more.

She pulled her goggles down over her eyes and then flicked more buttons, revving the repulsors. Out here no-one would recognise her and she just had to be good enough to win. Around her the engines sprung to life, their noise filling the gaps in the overwhelming orchestra of the Force. She glanced at his retreating back, letting the roar of noise fill her to her core. All she had to do was listen to it, and it would keep her safe.

“I won’t die,” she whispered. “You still owe me a date.”

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    “it’s just work, Rin.”

“With you everything is work.”

How frustrating for Kithera! :p

Two months since they’d both expressed their feelings for each other. Two months since that kiss in that garden. Two months since...She paused considering everything that had changed. Two months since her world had come together and felt right again. The Force trilled its peace and serenity everytime she was near him. It was a sound she’d lost when her Master died, regained briefly when she was with Qui-gon and then had disappeared when they had parted. It was a sound she’d thought she’d never hear again until that day in that garden when the melody had come together in just the right way.

This is lovely. You really get the sense she literally never expected to find peace again, much less happiness.

“Maybe I should keep the purple hair? Maybe you like it better?”

He shook his head. “I like you for just being you Rin. I don’t really care what you look like.”

And then he goes and says something so genuinely sweet, makes up for the non-date I hope LOL

“Good luck. Keep safe.”

“Don’t die you mean.”

Ow! That's one of those things you say in jest that actually cuts like a sword it's so painfully remindful of actual losses.

=D=

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a lot of love and banter between the two.

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    The Kit at the end of USJS 1 and for USJS 2 was a very, very unhappy and miserable girl/woman. I think this iteration of her, where she's outside the Temple is probably the best version (Version 1 was a Mary-sue and version 2 was just too angry). She definitely didn't think she'd find peace again and hopefully when I finally get around to finishing How it Ends it'll make a lot more sense as to why.

Yeah, not good with when to open and/or not open her mouth is our Kit :p

Glad you are enjoying it :)

There is definitely a lot of love there, even if it's a soft sort of love where neither of them really know how to express it.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999

Run from their arms (and armaments)
    Date #3 - (Romantic Walk)

“Go for a romantic walk, you said. It’ll be nice, you said. We’ll have time to smell the flowers, you said.”

Her voice was accusatory and he scowled at her, too out of breath to really say anything. They rounded the corner and pushed themselves back into the wall. Rin was frowning steadily, her hands dancing through the air as if she was conducting her own silent orchestra. The next minute the two speeder bikes roared past, the occupants not even glancing in their direction. The moment they were out of sight he slid forward, hands on his knees torn between throwing up and collapsing onto the ground. He sucked air in, great big breaths that hurt his chest.

“I’m too old for this,” he managed when he’d finally got his breath back. He straightened, his hand going to his side to ease the stitch that was making its presence felt. She was staring at him, hands on her hips looking like she’d just stepped out of the ship.

“How are you not out of breath?” he asked, already knowing the answer, but asking anyway. “We must have been running for at least the last mile.”

He could see annoyance playing on her face. She was very good at many things, but hiding her feelings when she was angry was not part of that. She shrugged.

“I’m ten years younger than you. I would hazard a guess that I’m fitter. I have the Force, you don’t.”

The stitch was easing now, the wobbliness in his legs was less intense too. She was still glaring at him.
    “Still want you to explain how this was supposed to be romantic,” she asked, anger dripping from every word. “I mean exercise is supposed to be some sort of aphrodisiac but I don’t think dragging your nearly dead carcass all the way back to The Lady is really going to put me in the mood.”

She glanced away from him and he could see her jaw clench in the dim, smoky light that emanated from the light posts.

“Rin,” he tried but she shook her head. Her bottom lip wobbled which made his chest ache in a way that had nothing to do with running.

“Don’t. We just need to get back to The Lady.” She pushed past him and started back down the road. He rubbed his side once more and then went after her, breaking into a hobbling run until he caught up. He put one hand on her shoulder and she spun around. Her eyes bored into him, her jaw clenched. This was his fault. He had sold her the promise of romance and a night away from the children and then he’d stuffed it all up.

“Getting imprisoned was certainly not my idea of a romantic evening-” he started.

“Well, it’s certainly not mine, either,” she shot back, every word dripping with irritation. “Last time I checked, the definition of a romantic date did not include breaking your partner out of a Hutt lock-up.”

She kept on walking. Her head was held high, but he could see the gleam of tears on her face.

“Rin!”

She took two more steps and then turned on him, hands raised in a gesture of bewilderment.

“Is this what we are going to be?” she asked. “Is this it? Just constantly on the run? Two steps always from losing it all? Two steps from death or incarceration?” He took a step towards her but she shook her head. “Because if this is it-If all it is is just this constant running, this constant fear of being caught, then I would be better off back on Coruscant. I’m sure there are other more legitimate jobs I could do.”

He wanted to point out that she would be bored. Wanted to say that she wasn’t suited to wear formal tunics and sit in an office all day, just as she hadn’t been suited to live within the confines of the Temple. He wanted to remind her she usually enjoyed their life, but something about tonight’s escapade had scared her.

“It won’t always be like this,” he said, trying to placate her and hoping she wouldn’t question the lie. “I will make sure of it.”

He could see her shuddering breaths. He reached her and put his hands on her arms, expecting her to push him away. She didn’t. Instead she closed her eyes and breathed deeply until her breath slowed. He reached up a hand and brushed a tear from her face, hating himself for causing her pain.

“What truly is scaring you?” he asked quietly.

“What happens if I lose you?” she asked. His shoulders slumped. She turned a tear-tracked face towards him. “I’ve lost so many people in my life. I lost my Master, I lost Qui. I walked away from my friends because of the choices that I made. You came when I called, but I only let myself love you because I thought if I was away from the Temple then I couldn’t lose you. I can’t lose more people, Del. I’ve lost more than I should have. I never even thought I could lose you. Then tonight-” She shuddered and looked away.

“Then tonight,” he echoed. He brushed his finger gently under her chin until she tilted her head back to look at him again. “I promise that I will never let anything like tonight happen again.”

She arched an eyebrow and then sighed, and he knew that she could see through his words.

“Please don’t lie to me. I’m too tired for this all. I don’t want what we have to be built on a lie. I just want us to be safe.”

He thought about his life - the people he owed favours and money too, the kinds of jobs they did, the worlds they travelled to. He closed his eyes briefly, trying to work out how he could keep them all safe. He felt a touch on his arm and opened his eyes. Rin was giving him a rather wan smile.

“As safe as we can both keep each other,” she offered. “As safe as we can make it for the kids.”

“I can do that,” he said and felt the truth of the promise. He paused. He knew this wasn’t over, that she was just letting it go because she was too tired to argue. In the light of the light posts he gave a half smile. “The next time we go out it’ll be a proper date. Just the two of us and not a Hutt in sight.”

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a walk? more a run that's exhausting. But they are together and making sweet talk.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    “Is this what we are going to be?” she asked. “Is this it? Just constantly on the run? Two steps always from losing it all? Two steps from death or incarceration?” He took a step towards her but she shook her head. “Because if this is it-If all it is is just this constant running, this constant fear of being caught, then I would be better off back on Coruscant. I’m sure there are other more legitimate jobs I could do.”

He wanted to point out that she would be bored. Wanted to say that she wasn’t suited to wear formal tunics and sit in an office all day, just as she hadn’t been suited to live within the confines of the Temple. He wanted to remind her she usually enjoyed their life, but something about tonight’s escapade had scared her.

=D= Excellently poignant and insightful. He's right she would be bored but constant adventure and life-threatening situations ... LOL they're both getting too old for that. [face_thinking]

“What truly is scaring you?” he asked quietly.

“What happens if I lose you?” she asked. His shoulders slumped. She turned a tear-tracked face towards him. “I’ve lost so many people in my life. I lost my Master, I lost Qui. I walked away from my friends because of the choices that I made. You came when I called, but I only let myself love you because I thought if I was away from the Temple then I couldn’t lose you. I can’t lose more people, Del. I’ve lost more than I should have. I never even thought I could lose you. Then tonight-” She shuddered and looked away.

“Then tonight,” he echoed. He brushed his finger gently under her chin until she tilted her head back to look at him again. “I promise that I will never let anything like tonight happen again.”

She arched an eyebrow and then sighed, and he knew that she could see through his words.

“Please don’t lie to me. I’m too tired for this all. I don’t want what we have to be built on a lie. I just want us to be safe.”

He thought about his life - the people he owed favours and money too, the kinds of jobs they did, the worlds they travelled to. He closed his eyes briefly, trying to work out how he could keep them all safe. He felt a touch on his arm and opened his eyes. Rin was giving him a rather wan smile.

“As safe as we can both keep each other,” she offered. “As safe as we can make it for the kids.”

“I can do that,” he said and felt the truth of the promise.

I adored the vulnerability and candor of this exchange. The thought of one more loss to Kit, as it would be for any of us, is crushing.

@};-

[:D]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Sometimes it's better to run than walk, especially when Hutt enforcers are on your tail. :p I'm glad you enjoyed the sweet talk :)

Yep, she'd get bored after about two days. She likes the life-threatening situations, just not that particular one...also her life is fine, but his life - that's another story entirely.

Thank you. It was nice to write a moment of true vulnerability for Kit, considering that she either hides her emotions entirely or, failing that, she gets angry

Wouldn't it just. Part of me keeps going "but it'd be so tragic to kill off one of the FoS members, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

16. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Parts of this are gross, but it's only alluded to grossness...just warning you.

Happy Families
    Date #4 - (Romantic Dinner)

The candle flames flickered gently as she opened the door to The Lady’s mess. The table had been cleared of its normal detritus and someone had even gone to the length of laying a table cloth. Estra, Kit assumed, given that it was not one simple sheet of material, but a colourful patchwork interspaced with ribbon and lace. There was also one of Del’s terrible transport stop mugs in the middle of the table too, a slowly wilting flower lolled to one side of it. Del entered, carrying two plates and stopped as he saw her.

“I was hoping it’ll all be done before you got back down,” he said looking awkward.

Rin shrugged.

“I wasn’t expecting Estra to offer to read to Zallie until she fell asleep,” she said, “but now I can see why.”

Del put both plates down gently and Rin could see the creeping pink flush under his natural tan.

“How much did you bribe her with?” she asked gently. Del had put a bottle of wine down on the table and then motioned Rin to sit. She did so and he poured a glass of wine. “Fabric store on Behpour that she’s heard about. I’m sure we can pick up work around there and Essie has some of her own money to spend.”

Rin shook her head. Even though theirs was still, at times, a rather awkward and occasionally prickly relationship, she loved Estra. The girl didn’t so much waltz through life, as smash down obstacles or wear them away through stubbornness. It was something Rin had come to respect, even if it occasionally meant they hit snags when it came to finding a solution.

Del slid down into the opposite seat and sighed. She watched him reach gingerly for his wine glass and take a sip. She realised the glasses were the ones that she’d pilfered on one of their first jobs. They hadn’t been on the list the client had given them to steal, but seeing as The Lady had only mugs to drink from, she’d reasoned that they had been part of their cut.
    “You think I spoil her?” he asked quietly.

“No, I think Estra learnt the lesson of her father,” Rin said with a smile. “Don’t do a job unless you’re getting paid and hold out for the highest price.”

“Ha!” There was a pause and then Del motioned at the plate and Rin looked down at the rich, brown stew in her bowl. When she looked up Del was positively crimson. “I know it’s not the best,” he said, stumbling over the words, “but I tried to make something you’d like.”

She smiled at him.

“I’m sure it’ll be wonderful,” she said, taking a bite. The sugary sweetness hit her tongue, making her blink rapidly.

“What?” Del’s voice was insistent, “what?”

“When you grabbed the salt,” Rin asked softly, “which container did you use?”

“The black topped one, why?” He took a bite of his own meal and made a face.

“The black topped one is the sugar,” Rin said softly, “the white topped one is the salt.”

Del groaned and Rin reached across to stroke the back of his hand gently. “It’s okay. It’s just a bit different is all.”

Del pushed his own plate away and Rin felt her stomach sink at the look on his face. He stood up and she watched him start to rub the scars on his knuckles with the fingers of his other hand.

“I love it because you made it,” she offered, “don’t let it ruin our night. I’m sure we have ice cream in the freezer.”

“Ice cream is not a meal Rin.”

“It could be, if you were the plate,” she stuck her tongue out at him, watching the blush that had only just faded spring vividly back into life.

She slid from her seat and took two steps towards the freezer. The music that floated through the air around her trilled a warning of brass and bells. Rin paused, frowning as she sent tendrils of notes out into the ship.

A scream split the night air.

“That’s Essie,” Del said. Rin nodded, her heart pounding in her chest. There was a wail.

“Mama!”

“And Zallie.”

Ice cream abandoned, they both headed towards the door, then stumbled as The Lady shuddered and there was an odd noise from the direction of the engine room. Rin looked at Del, whose face was now paler.

“You get the ship, I’ll get Essie and Zallie,” she said. Another step and the door to the mess opened to show Estra, standing in the light, hair sodden and smelling terrible.

“Zallie’s throwing up,” the girl managed, running her fingers through the strands of her hair and looking like she, too, was about to be sick. Rin closed her eyes for a second and breathed deeply. She regretted it a second later as the smell hit her. Del was pausing at the other door, glancing at the both of them. In the distance they could hear Nicco swearing.

“I’m sure we’ll get to the date eventually. It’ll be easier though if we aren’t bown to smithereens.” Rin said, torn between exhaustion and anger at the universe for conspiring against them. She saw Del’s own frustration mirrored in his face.

“Next time, it’ll be better,” he said softly and she wanted to laugh. That promise had been made so many times it was now almost meaningless. There was an odd noise from Zallie’s room and then a tiny whimper.

Kithera dropped her shoulders and sighed.

“Go get showered and changed,” she told Estra, “and I’ll see to Zallie.”

The girl looked miserable.

“There is ice cream in the freezer that needs eating,” Rin added, trying for a smile.

“Da said that was for you two. For your date.” Estra said, but Rin noticed the hopeful gleam in the girl’s eyes.

“I don’t think it matters anymore what it was supposed to be for,” she said quietly, “I just think after tonight we’ll all need ice cream.”

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    messed up food and only ice-cream left

Kit' and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    And a sudden ship glitch and a sick youngling on top of it. Very slice of life when you pile one oh no! thing on top of another. :rolleyes:

Kit is very understanding and thankful for Del's efforts; I do think after some time passes they'll be able to laugh at all this, but both of them are probably wondering, when'll that be? [face_laugh]

=D=

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    earlybird-obi-wan and Kit' like this.
  19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Sometimes that isn't entirely bad (looks at half eaten ice-cream container in the fridge)

Well, they still have one more "not a date" to go. :p

Yeah, can you tell some of that is, unfortunately, not from real life experience?

20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999

The Happy Couple
    Date #5 - (Wedding)

“Is this a-?”

“No, Rin,” he cut her off before she could finish and checked his armor again. She grinned at him, pulling her crimson jacket closed.
    “Figured, I should ask. I mean it is a wedding. Most people take their dates to a wedding.”

“I don’t think either of the happy couple would be pleased to know you were thinking of this as a date.”

“But there’s cake,” she pointed out, “and dancing. Music. Champagne. I’m sure they won’t mind.”

She was doing her hair up now, making sure that none of it could escape the tight bun.

“I’m sure the happy couple will mind. In fact I think they’ll mind what we’re about to do very much.”

She pulled out a wine-red leather mask and fit it snugly over her eyes.

“Really, Rin?” he asked, catching sight of it. He shook his head. “Don’t you think that’s a bit theatrical?”

“What? In contrast to the blood red jackets, or that ridiculously large blaster you’re carrying?” She put her hands on her hips. “We’re supposed to be Akiri remember, wanted for crimes across three sectors. I figure a bit of theatrics is just the ticket.”

“And?”

He could see her eyebrows knit together despite the mask. She pouted.

“And I don’t want my identity getting back to the Temple. I don’t think the Jedi would take very kindly to one of their own, even an ex one of their own, turning to crime. I’d rather not be hunted down by shadows.”

“I don’t have a mask,” he said, doing a last minute check on his blasters.

“You’re dead, remember,” she pointed out, fiddling with her own blaster. “So it’s a bit late for you to be hunted down by anyone.”

He frowned at her and hoisted his blaster.

“Remember,” he said quietly, “try to take only the good stuff, don’t get distracted, use the Force to warn us of trouble...before it happens this time.” She poked her tongue out at him. “Don’t kill anyone unless really necessary.”

“And…” she prompted. He pushed the doors to the hallway. A hundred faces turned towards them.

“And?” he whispered.

“And you still owe me a date.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] Super banter, lighthearted indeed and he does owe her big time. :p

earlybird-obi-wan and Kit' like this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    lovely banter and a date next?

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That he does. Hopefully he'll make it up in the next one.

Yep, last one and so it's finally date time!

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I originally wrote this intending there to be a heist. I'd already written the final date, a rather hot and steamy affair on the beach. Then this happened instead of the heist and while it doesn't involve Del being used as a plate for ice cream, I still think (hope) that it's pretty sweet.

I know
    Date #6 - (Ball)

She danced. Her hand rested lightly on his shoulder. His hand nestled in the hollow of her back. He’d forgotten how to move on the dance floor and the first two dances had been awkward affairs of crushed toes and mis-steps, but he’d found his groove and now they danced across the floor, arm in arm listening to the beat of the music.

“I always loved balls like this when I was an apprentice,” Rin murmured as she looked up at him. He glanced at her and frowned slightly. Normally they didn’t discuss their lives back in the Temple, there were too many sore spots to think about, too many emotional pit traps. She either didn’t see the frown, or ignored it as she continued. “It was just always nice to talk to people about things that weren’t the Force, meditation and lightsaber katas.”

They danced for a minute in silence and then she looked up at him.

“Sorry, I know you don’t like talking about the Temple. It’s just that this reminds me so much of some of the balls we went to.”

“We?” the word was out of his mouth before he could stop himself. Of course he knew who the ‘we’ was that Rin was referring to. She had once been his lover too, but sometimes it was hard to reconcile the Namia he had known as a padawan, with the woman Rin talked about.

“Yes, Master Zahalin was invited to many, many parties,” she said, twisting her mouth slightly. Del frowned, his stomach churned at the memory of the vivacious and beautiful young woman he had been so much in love with.

“I’m sure you were,” he said softly.

“Are you still in love with her?” Rin asked, her mouth twisted slightly.

Del felt like he’d danced right into a trap. Rin was watching him now, her stare fixed determinedly on his expression. Del wanted to sigh. This was not the place for a fight.

“Rin, I can’t answer this question without making you angry.”

She frowned.

“See,” he continued. He felt his heart sink. He didn’t want to argue with her. He hated that. It always left a sour taste in his mouth and a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach. “I didn’t even answer the question and you’re already angry. Can’t we just talk about this when we get back to The Lady?”

There was a change in the music and the next man in the circle extended his hand. She took it, poking out her tongue at him as she did so. He frowned, he was never sure how to deal with her when she did that. Then she was off, disappearing into the crowd as her new partner took her through the next set of steps.

He danced. He hoped he at least danced well, but most of his mind wasn’t on the complex steps anymore, instead it was on what she had asked of him. It was true he’d loved Namia. Part of him still loved her, but it was that fiery teenage love which was more besotted with ideals than reality.

Del danced distractedly with his next partner. She was an older lady who talked endlessly about her dog - or about her neighbor's dog? Truthfully, Del had no idea. She made herself laugh, and Del chuckled automatically in reply, hoping it was enough to make her believe he was listening.

Namia had been his first love, and for a very long time he’d clung to the idea of that love. It had kept him alive and warm when nothing else would. It had meant he’d survived as a slave, clinging to the idea of Her like a drowning man clinging to a raft.

The music changed again. Another new partner. This one a young lady who flirted. Badly. She gave up with a sigh when she realised that it wasn’t going anywhere. Del found that he didn’t care. There was a flash of a red dress through the crowd and his head turned without thinking, trying to spot her. He heard the soft mutter of annoyance from his partner as he accidentally stepped on her foot. He muttered an apology.

There had been others of course. Nessa with her fiery red hair and equally fiery temper. The two of them had brought Nicco into the world and then, despite the thrown pots, broken crockery and screaming, Estra. Eventually the yelling had become too much; Nessa had disappeared into the night, leaving him with a child and a baby. Alone again.

The music changed. A third partner now, a dour young lady who was obviously annoyed at him. They danced without speaking, and he relished not having to pretend to make small talk. As they turned into the next series of steps, the smell of perfume in the air, told him that Rin had been there just seconds before, but he could not find her. Frustrated with the endless dance, he sighed.

He had thought his life done for until fate, or the Force, or the universe had conspired for them to meet again. Then he’d lost Her and his heart had broken. Now he had Rin. His precious, beautiful light that shone so brightly. The woman who teased and giggled her way through life. The one who’d finally convinced the sun to shine on him again.

The music changed. Del extended a hand for his next partner, but this time it was Rin.

His heart leapt at the sight of her.

She glanced at him and raised an eyebrow.

“Did you get anything useful?” she asked. Del, thrown for a minute, stumbled and then righted himself.

“Useful?”

“You know, like names, when people are going to be out. Something that we could hit later.” She smiled as he spun her around. “Don’t tell me that you spent that entire dance in some sort of brain fog. This is work, remember. Not a date.”

She giggled; mirth lighting up her face at his bewilderment.

He spun her before pulling her close. He could hear the end of the music. The slowing of the tempo as the song drew to a close. Not that it made any difference to him, the music might be slowly but his heart was hammering its own fast beat.

They danced.

“I was thinking about what you asked me,” he said softly.

“Oh.” She made a face, “I shouldn’t have asked that. That wasn’t fair.”

“No,” he shook his head, and then pulled her close. The music reached its final crescendo. “I have an answer for you.”

There was a fleeting frown and she bit her bottom lip as if she was suddenly afraid. Del smiled and dipped her gently.

“I love you. No-one else. Just you.”

The music ended.

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    ~ Fin ~