main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If they remove that bloody awful three levers section from MP3, I'd buy a Switch to play it.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've not.managed ro finish any of 1 through 3

Can't beat Ridley 2 in the first
    Just kept getting lost in 2 and could never get to grips with 3

Love them all though and want to try again

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm certainly curious to see what they'd do with it as an internal title. Nintendo hasn't really done a spin on the franchise outside of the GB DK and Minis sub-series (and I'm not even certainly on those OTOMH). That it isn't a Country entry could help diversify the DK brand more beyond the classics, Country series, DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing (the latter two of which aren't really a thing anymore anyways).

Apparently, a Trilogy port seems unlikely, according to the trilogy's Lead Designer (now formerly of Retro):

"The biggest issue is [that Retro Studios] no longer has functional editor tools to work with the Prime code base, so everything has to be "brute force" hard coded.

Rebuilding the hundreds of interaction sets in [Metroid Prime 3] alone, not to mention re-tuning the game play to take in the slower engagement pacing of conventional controls, would probably take a year with a 4-5 person team, full-time, by itself."

"I am pretty skeptical it will happen. It was straightforward to update [Metroid Prime 1] and [Metroid Prime 2] to motion controls, but converting [Metroid Prime 3] to normal controls would be a herculean effort, as it is scripted very specifically using volumetric triggers to detect the motion in precise manners to do specific switches, and the bosses are tuned to take into account the ease of gestural aiming."

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    And with that, my Switch now feels like a useless freebie

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Hey guys!

Just bought one, with Let's go Eevee!

I'm having much fun.

Question: is it possible to connect wireless headphones using bluetooth ?

Rew likes this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sigh. No. Not natively.

You can get a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the 3.5mm jack but there may be a little lag in the sound.

Welcome to the gaming club. I highly recommend Fire Emblem Three Houses and Mario Odyssey as the best games on the system.

3sm1r likes this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I might end up trying them. The first one is one of those games in which you customize your armor and weapons and explore the world?
    I love them!

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Fire Emblem is definitely about customizing your weapons and squad of fighters, but not so much exploring. It's a tactical RPG so it's a bit like chess, where there's a board you move around and attack and defend and support with a team of characters.

It has a great story, though, including a midpoint during which you then split off into one of four second halves based on which faction you're with. So it is also a potentially meaty game... Took me 160 hours to beat all four routes. And the story and characters are great.

3sm1r likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

SNES: Joe & Mac, Magical Drop II (SFC game), Spanky's Quest, Super Baseball Simulator 1000
    NES: Ninja JaJaMaru-Kun

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Still need Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 as well as both EarthBound games to come to Switch. And Super Mario RPG!

christophero30 likes this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    What do you mean? All 3 DKC games are already on Nintendo Switch Online. No sign of Super Mario RPG yet though (much less Earthbound). Think the last time I saw Mario RPG playable on something relatively modern was the SNES classic.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I have still never beaten Joe and Mac after years of trying since it was the game of choice at my friend's house as a kid. Grrr....

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I thought it was just the first DKC? I’ll have to check again when I get home after work.

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I've done a little bit of research and it seems that the best game for those who like to have a fantastic world to explore in RPG style is the latest The Legend of Zelda, is it correct?

As strategy game more generally, internet seems to agree with sj about Fire Emblems... being very good.

BTW, I did an overdose of Let's go Eevee and I could now basically write my personal in-depth review on the topic, but -spoiler- it's pretty good.

Rew likes this.
  16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It’s quite easily the best open world ever designed, so if exploring that sounds fun... :p

In regards to the RPG style, I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. There’s no leveling up or skill trees to be found, the character progression comes in earning upgrades to your health and stamina by completing shrines (BOTW’s mini-dungeons) and finding stronger weapons (which do break after a certain number of uses). There’s no dialogue, of course, you’re Link after all, and the fairly light story is mostly told through flashbacks you trigger by visiting certain locations in the world.

I wrote a lot more about it in a review I posted here, if you’re interested in learning more. It’s one of my all time favorites, so you should definitely check it out.

Edit: I am assuming you meant Breath of the Wild and not Link’s Awakening. :p

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    3sm1r likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, if you want a game with more traditional RPG mechanics in an open world, you might want to consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Massive, gorgeous open world (like I honestly am not sure how they pull this off on the Switch), different party members, evolving character stats and skill trees... and, well, a ton of combat systems layered on top of each other to the point where you probably won't understand most of them until you're halfway through the game ;).

BOTW would probably be more exploration-centric, though. I haven't played BOTW yet* but Zelda is typically pretty interactive in their overworlds, whereas Xenoblade is more about combat encounters rather than physical interactions (you walk through creatures if not fighting them, etc). There's still areas to explore and discover but it's a lesser focus of the game versus Zelda.

*Because if I start, I'll get enveloped by it and never finish Xenobalde Chronicles 2!

Rew likes this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks for the material, guys. From my next game I'd like the two following characteristics:

1) I want to have a certain freedom in where to go and what I can do, as opposed to being constrained to rigidly follow a defined path devised by the creators. For example in the Pokemon games I enjoyed that freedom.

2) I'd like the story to be compelling, rather then just a succession of quests that all look the same.

For what concern the battle style, I have no big desires about it, for example in Pokemon the structure of the battle is very simple. You make a move, then the opponent makes a move, and no finger speed technique is required and I was just fine with it. What's most important is that I'd like to choose my weapons and customize my character skills at will.

So, yeah, I guess I'll need to choose between Zelda and Xenoblade. I'm not familiar with either right now.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    As I recall you don't own any other new-ish gaming systems? Witcher III.

Edit: Dragon Quest XI is also a good choice but is considerably more linear in terms of where you're expected to go next, despite having very wide areas to explore. Skyrim is like the prototypical open world RPG but a lot of the quests are very same-y.

3sm1r likes this.
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    In Breath of the Wild, once you complete the introductory area where you obtain the abilities you’ll use for the rest of the game, you can literally go fight the final boss. At what is basically the start of the game. It’s not recommended, but you can do it if you want to. So if you like the freedom to do what you want with no rigid structure, Breath of the Wild is perfect for you.

Regarding the story, I actually really love what BOTW does with it. The flashbacks give you a compelling look into what the world was like before the situation you’re in now, which is essentially post-apocalyptic Hyrule. I’m hardly a big Zelda fan (BOTW was only the second I’d ever played at the time, and the first I completed), but I really dug the subtle ways the world and the lore were presented to me.

Ugh, I could go on and on. The game is just absolute magic. It might be time for a replay.

3sm1r likes this.
  21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    How would Mario Odyssey rank among the classic Mario games? My top 3 are the original, Mario World and Mario 64. I don't own a Switch but was thinking of getting one.

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    How much even is BOTW these days? Haven’t had that Switch on in quite awhile now.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Are you asking if there has been a price drop? It’s Nintendo. There are no price drops. Metroid Other M for the Wii is still full price if you find copies anywhere :p.

As for Mario Odyssey, while I haven’t played my copy yet, going by demos I’ve watched and general info I’ve seen, it’s supposed to be a pretty good game- maybe not the new king of 3D Mario games, but one of the better ones.

It follows the mini sandbox playground approach of Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, so there’s a decent amount of exploration in levels.

christophero30 likes this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh, Witcher! Isn't there also a Netflix show?

Concerning Skyrim, from a YT video it seems it's one of those in which you are first person, right?
    I personally prefer to be behind my character and see their whole body.

Yeah, this is what I'm looking for. I like when there is still stuff to do after the main quest is completed.

There was a Netflix cartoon derived from a famous game about this guy who loses his beloved ones because of a dragon and he had to go for an adventure in order to kill the dragon or something like that. I was very disappointed because the episodes were just a chain of rather uncorrelated and frankly boring side quests, so I wouldn't enjoy to play that videogame.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, the show is based on the books, the games take place after the books, but the word around the Internet is a lot of people started with Witcher III and didn't have any issues. I think it's like exactly what you're looking for in terms of openness, good writing, and customizable skills and equipment if you're willing to put up with the graphical hit on Switch compared to other platforms.

Ah. In that case, you should avoid Skyrim.

3sm1r likes this.