main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Eternals

Discussion in 'Community' started by PimpBacca, May 24, 2021.

1. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Eternals trailer!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2021
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This is looking very good - it is already one of the best looking Marvel movies, for sure. Funny, what actually bringing a camera outside can do! ;) Marvel cosmic stuff is my jam (the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, especially Vol. 2, are far and away my favorite Marvel releases). Where the Guardians movies (and Thor: Ragnarok) are more pulp cosmic space adventure, this one definitely seems to be taking on a different flavor while inhabiting that sub-theme within the MCU. And I absolutely adore the design of the Eternals' flat triangle space ship.

Here's the poster:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  3. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I really like that poster

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Who is that dude at the end that looks like Sebastian Stan? The "I could lead the Avengers" guy?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Kit Harington from Game of Thrones.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It looks pretty good but honestly it looks more like a sci fi movie then it belongs in the MCU. Guess will see in November how well they are able to blended it into the universe.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That's actually Richard Madden from Game of Thrones.

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That's also Richard Madden from Game of Thrones.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops! They really do look similar.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I enjoyed getting a better look at Babylon in this trailer. Very excited for this one. :)

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I know what you mean and agree but I also like the idea of the MCU stretching out and including a movie that looks like this within the same universe as the other films. It's a nice way to change things up.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ya know nothin', T2Q.

14. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Okay - this is NOT an attempt to rain on the parade of anyone who really enjoyed the trailer or is excited for this. Truly. But that trailer was kind of "MEH" for me.

I readily admit that while I am a major fan of superhero comics, my ETERNALS knowledge is very very light. That could definitely be influencing my reaction. On the other hand, I wonder if that makes my reaction more similar to the reaction the trailer is going to get from the "not that familiar with Marvel outside of the big guns" movie audience.

While I am NOT suggesting that every Marvel property has to be centered around punching and fighting and supervillains, this trailer didn't (for me!!!) generate a sense of what the central conflict is, what the issue is. Okay, a race of godlike beings interacted with humanity, influenced its development, and either left or stepped back for some reason, but have now decided to once again interact with humanity (I think). In reality, that would (of course) be monumental -- but in the MCU, hasn't humanity had dealings with Asgardians (aliens in the MCU), Skrulls, Kree, and the legions of Thanos? And at least at the Avengers level, with the various races in the Guardians of the Galaxy?

The movie itself may be great - a good or bad trailer doesn't guarantee a good or bad movie! Just saying that my initial reaction was kind of lukewarm.

PS - The shot of the Eternals "ship" (?) looked weirdly fake to me. I think that is because they chose to show it coming straight on, no perspective, so it looks like a rectangle gradually getting larger, versus a large object getting closer and closer. Just a weird visual choice.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually thought the POV trick was neat- when it decloaks head-on, it almost feels like a more advanced (or ancient-advanced) version of The Dark Aster, implying a possible lineage there. Then whe you see it from the side you see that it's really an entirely different shape than what you initially thought.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Right, but that may be the point. The Eternals were basically acting like mythical gods vis-a-vis early humanity (I enjoyed the scene of making water spring forth) and had a policy of non-intervention. But now with the stakes much higher and aliens regularly messing with earth, they can't really sit aside anymore.

Maybe that's the plot? Or maybe it's something else, no idea.

Either way, I suppose I'm in a different position from most MCU fans in that I don't really care much how it relates to the larger MCU I'm just here for the mythology part of it.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And lets be fair: There were a lot of doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy before it bowed, due to how different it was compared to a lot of the MCU at that point in time.

19. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The Eternals were tasked with protecting mankind from The Deviants. The Deviants showing back up and making trouble is a likely reason for The Eternals getting more active.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, if nothing else -- this looks ******* gorgeous...

Also, it's a teaser -- and it's got a huge cast -- but it really does seem to be focusing on the Ikaris / Sersi relationship... which is interesting, given Ikaris' statement about leading the Avengers, because Kit Harrington's character in the comics gets involved with Sersi and does lead the Avengers!

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, so, those are both based on South American wall carvings that are frequently cited in ancient aliens conspiracy theories, something both The Eternals and Prometheus deal with explicitly. There's not much good reason to suspect Ridley Scott is familiar with Jack Kirby esoterica, if only because Prometheus does not involve gigantic robot aliens deciding if they should thumbs up or thumbs down all existence, despite the fact that it would almost certainly have benefited from them.

Well, that and THE COSMIC POWERED HULK. More things need a COSMIC POWERED HULK. Yes it must be written in all caps at all times. ...

... COSMIC POWERED HULK

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Skeeter Davis? OK, I'll give it a chance. I had my doubts about GotG until the first trailer started playing Blue Swede, and it turned out to be maybe my favorite Avenger movie. Hoping this one follows that path...

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ikari feels a bit slim in the sholders. Looks nice, if a bit darker in the cololuring than what I had hoped for. Wonder how they are going to explain the Ethernals and the Asgadians (and maybe other gods)

24. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, Prometheus does feature giant biomechanically-clad humanoids (the creators' of humanity, at that) en route to Earth to wipe out their creation. ;)

Not saying that Ridley Scott was inspired by Kirby in any direct fashion (Ridley has less than zero interest in superhero stuff - any comic inspiration of his tends to come from Heavy Metal and the works of Moebius), nor are these the only two examples of such stories by any stretch of the imagination, but it is intetesting to look at the overlap in the way that both stories play with the source material from which they are derived (and the cyclical way in which certain shots from Prometheus now may have in turn influenced Eternals here) and visually depict some of these elements.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Looks good to me.