main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A dathomirian woman travelling the galaxy and finding it hard to adept to that men can be found in any possition and are equall to women

amidalachick and Briannakin like this.
  2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    amidalachick and Briannakin like this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    @Adalia-Durron and myself wrote quite a but in that direction. Granted its more "Dathomirian woman who traveled the galaxy and learned that men are equal to wonen now tries to apply that lesson to her tribe but still...

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    West Wing but Star Wars... and salt is for some reason important to the story

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I was thinking something along those lines too ^^^ TWW Mav & Bri 'verse characters introduce their kids to Star Wars. Doctor Bartlet is a SW geek but the president thinks it's boring.

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks guys [:D] All incredible ideas! Unfortunately I think my brain is firmly in the "I am so overwhelmed and exhausted that nothing is computing" camp (case in point: I usually normally only take an half hour lunch... this one is probably going to be a solid hour and a half... I decided to go for a quick walk to see if that helped, and I forgot both a mask and my phone... went back for a mask and still forgot my phone).

Actually... that would make a good fic. A president so burned out that he starts forgetting stuff like nuclear launch codes and top secret documents.

Hahaha! I've actually had this idea before (I mean Jimmy Smitts is in them both!) but coming up with a plot my brain will stick with is difficult

... I might have to file this away for later use!

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do a West Wing episode but it takes place on Coruscant, or some other SW planet.

amidalachick likes this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Such fanfic types as first person, epistolary, diary, five times Obi-Wan drew his lightsaber and the one time he didn't, timeskip, must have a name themselves; I enter 'fanfic types' and 'fanfic format' on FanLore and get nothing like what I'm looking for ... would anyone have an idea of what to search that results in a list? Thanks!

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would probably call it a fanfic structure since it's the structure of how the story is written?? But when I search that I don't get anything back either. But when I did search Five Times on FanLore it called it a "a writing form or structure" though no link to an article about that. I don't think that really helps you, I'm sorry.

pronker likes this.
  10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for trying - songfic is another structure as is Anywhere But Here (second person), not that I've seen either[face_dunno] in quite some time ... oh well.

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Common fanfic challenge prompts?

pronker likes this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Sigh... I miss having ideas... I used to have so many plot bunnies that I’d get distracted from my WIPs and hare off (pun intended) after them. But now all that’s left in my “hutch” are some elderly bunnies that were fun ideas at the time but are too slight to support an actual story. This is partly because I’ve being consciously trying to finish some of my backlog and partly because, well, life...:p Ans while it’s good that I am making som (very slow) progress on the WIPs, I’d like to do the Fanfic Olympics. I really enjoyed it last year; it was fun to play with short form instead of my usual long multi-chapters. But I’m having a really hard time deciding on a theme. I can come up with general ideas (e.g. Hera, Kaz, my next-gen characters in the Marzra-verse, one of the Infinite Ezras), but when I try to think about what kinds of stories I could do with them...I got nuthin’ :( I know there’s still quite a bit of time before I have to decide on anything for the challenge, but I’d love to be able to get my creative juices flowing again.

13. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    SAME. It's really frustrating. Especially when I'm already going to have to drop out of another summer fandom event I signed up for and really wanted to participate in because while I do have a vague idea, I'm not capable of turning it into a proper story right now and I don't see that changing in time to make the event's deadline. /whining

As far as generating ideas I have no advice but lots of sympathy. For what it's worth, I'm happy to hear you're making progress on your WIPs! And I know anything you do come up with for the Fanfic Olympics, whether it's Infinite Ezras or the other Rebels characters or your OCs, will be amazing. Best of luck with getting the words and creativity flowing! [:D]

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    [:D] for anyone who wants it

I set my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 3 in 1968 when the actual movie came out (and Jeremy and Jemima are in their 60s).
    I’ve made references to several pop culture aspects of that time, but I can’t do Star Wars sadly.

It’s hard to find good places for musical numbers at the part of the story I’m at. It’s still basically exposition- I’m still fleshing out the personalities of the two kids around chapter 5;
    9 year old Bungie and 12 year old Sally
    Sally is serious and protective of her brother, and I’ve so far characterized Bungie as immature (expected) and a little selfish. I’m hoping to write a successful and efficient arc for his growth, and I don’t want Sally to be static either.

I also hope I’m not making the adults too dumb for falling for the villain’s scheme.

amidalachick and pronker like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Try a 10 AU story meme - write ten things based on a fandom, which each thing being set in a different genre - Wild West; Regency romances; Gothic horror; 20's/30's gangsters; superheroes; etc. - it don't need to be anything long, one wildwest entry I saw was just two sentence.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    amidalachick likes this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    This sounds like a great idea. I've done Wild West in the past but I haven't ventured into those other genres.

amidalachick likes this.
  17. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello all. This question may be a variation on a theme from the days when I didn't think I could write L/M to save my life. I jumped that hurdle and wrote a few things here and there. Now, however, I am back in the predicament of writing romance for a couple of Jedi Masters. Some of the same issues persist, but with the High Republic and Avar Kris and Elzar Mann, there a couple of new ones. Where I have a comfort level of years of EU to back up Luke giving Mara a footrub, I do not have the luxury of familiarity with these new characters to feel comfortable writing mushtastic smoochies with Avar and Elzar. If I once thought Luke Skywalker was too pure to be a sexual being, Avar Kriss is putting that to shame. To make matters a mite worse, the rather angelic attire of the Jedi of this era makes me feel they are a mashup of Angels (celestial beings) and fantasy Kings and Queens. This has put me in a spot of trouble when try to bring them down to earth. As we all know, I certainly know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but I will put the question to you anyway. How do I bring characters that I have somehow elevated to sainthood, back to earth and make them real and personable?
    [​IMG]
    Avar Kriss is in front and Elzar Mann is to the right.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    pronker and Findswoman like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you want it for? I mean for what kind of stories?

A classic way, but not the one I think you are after, is showing characters going to the loo, having menstruation, having a bad stomach, and/or similar

brodiew likes this.
  19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Gamiel, but you are right that is not exactly what I mean. I usually write in the very short term travels 3 to 500 board ficlets, sometime 1000+ scenes. I'm wanting to write fluffy intimicies. That's what I'm getting at.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    @brodiew maybe you could invent a minor quirk or two that seems in keeping with her character? Does she have a fondness for sweets? Hate broccoli? Watch tooka videos as a guilty pleasure? Have some routine she can’t start her day without?

As far as fluffy intimacies, you could use some of those ideas for Elzar to give her a small gift or find a way to spend time with her.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All great suggestions—and may I add that having them get into humorous little mixups or misunderstandings would be a great way, too? Or have her be secretly nervous or scared about something she has to do, and perhaps not wanting to admit it to anyone but Elzar (and that even with some reluctance)?

Raissa Baiard and brodiew like this.
  22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It might be fun to have a third party let slip that "oh those two, they're just about perfect!" and have this overheard by them. It bothers them so that they discuss it among themselves re the old Legends saying, "Jedi are seekers, not saints." (They do not wish to be perceived as hypocrites.) Another icebreaker might be that they play, either for real or just as an exercise, Truth or Dare or perhaps Truth Truth Lie?

Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @brodiew maybe give them hobbies that have nothing to with their duties, like
    - reading SW version of Harlequin novels
    - collecting tourist memorabilia from the planets they visit
    - collect rocks/wood that they then carv into artistic(?) shapes, ones they have finished a carving they give it away to just somebody they meet.
    - really want to take the time to try the local food scene, and makes plans how to fit that in with the rest of their schedule

brodiew likes this.
  24. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I saw something on Facebook today that really hit home for me, and in light of some of the recent discussions I thought there might be people here who would like to see it as well. It's about "creative despair," and the post is a series of pictures created by Nathan Pyle, author of the Strange Planet comic (which is awesome and something that everyone should check out :D ). The pictures are TOS-friendly, and it can be found here on the link to the post on Nathan Pyle's public Facebook page.

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for sharing that, Thumper! I really think that explained how I've felt recently and it's nice to see another perspective on how it's okay.

amidalachick and Thumper09 like this.