main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Your favorite trailers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Never even played this game, but what a trailer

Guidman likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good Lord, one trailer from the forties and one trailer from the sixties and the rest of the list is all 1970s and forward. That's just silly.

Any list of great trailers that doesn't have The Bishop's Wife or Dr. Strangelove on it is just revealing its ignorance.

Though kudos for including both Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Man of Steel. Those trailers often get overlooked because the movies themselves ended up being disappointing, but they're absolutely perfect trailers.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's that peculiar- what we think of when we think of the trailer art form in a modern context didn't even really start existing consistently until the late 80's. And you only get a sprinkling of predecessor examples throughout the earlier 80's and, maybe, the late 70's (at best) as it began to emerge (even something as modern as Star Wars didn't really have a modern trailer until years after the movie came out). It's probably no coincidence that their evolution and the emergence of the blockbuster occurred in parallel.

Once you go back further than that, though? They're straight-up stuck in a radio ad mentality in terms of structure, content and delivery going back to the golden age of Hollywood. It's only because examples of unique approaches for those eras are so rare that something like The Bishop's Wife stands out.

I mean, the trailer form evolved so rapidly over the past 30-40 years that it's difficult to see them as the same type of product as those produced even 55-70 years ago. Any list of the best trailers limited to only 25 entries that wasn't at least 85% from 1985 onwards is completely useless. Because, even if you could come up with 25 classic film trailers that broke out of the mold that still hold up pretty well today, there are 100 more from the last 25 years that probably do it better. Such a limited list (or even one slightly more expansive) absolutely has to favor the modern slate by default.

EDIT- A Serious Man's inclusion on that list irritates me. It's a good trailer, sure, but i hate it when a list author includes something obscure that most people have never heard of just to make it seem like they're including deep cuts or something. Especially with the spoils of riches one could peruse for alternative inclusions.

Last edited: May 31, 2021