main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's how it's always been. A difference of about 3 years between them meant a slight bump in animation quality.

2. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    As someone who has wanted to watch this series for some time I have a few questions:

Is watching the show in 1 hour blocks (which is the way it is presented on Disney+) really ideal? I’ve never really been down with the whole binge watching thing and generally prefer to watch media in the way it was originally presented. Does this show watch better in as one or two long movies, or as a series of short segments? If the latter, is it available to watch in this format anywhere?

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Was it really that long?

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's much better to watch as two "movies" than as individual episodes. Bear in mind that the episodes were only around two-three minutes long for Volume 1 (seasons 1 and 2), including intro and credits, and around twice that for Volume/season 2.
    Watching the individual episodes makes for a choppy experience as opposed to the complete volumes, which flow excellently as movies.

Granted, I haven't actually watched the individual episodes since the DVD release 15 years ago, so I might be wrong.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well they were closer to 15 min for Volume 2. Those ones are basically fine to watch one at a time, though they all have the same overarching plots.
    Well actually I liked that. Sometimes I only felt like watching the "main" shorts, so I'd skip, say, the Mace ones or the Ilum ones.

Having watched the combined cuts it's curious how they handled transitions- sometimes it's seamless, but other times it stands out. So overall it's not a bad way if you want to invest the whole 2+ hours.

6. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    My mistake, just 2 years. But still enough time for Genndy to up his game and LFL to throw more money at him.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Watching it now.
    I had seen bits that could be found on Youtube, but now I am seeing a whole lot of cool tight Prequel warfare.
    I really like it's attitude. Just unashamedly pure warfare.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember watching the micro-series back when it premiered in 2002/03 and was like was that it, when the first episode ended.
    Watching them all in one go is so much better.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Love the stompy ship that Mace fights.

.. and the rain on the lightsabers. Oh that's gorgeous.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like it in single installments, it's basically 2 hour long movies that are a bit episodic but Clone Wars the show was like that .yah watched again in HD looked great (I do believe there's a single shot that isn't in HD, it's the first Ventress short and one of the monster closeup screaming shots at the start is suddenly cropped with widescreen). I totally forgot that James Cameron basically ripped off the big blue alien people from Part II (well he didn't but odd coincidence). What I didn't notice until now is that the final shot of Clone Wars 2D is literally a pan out into the battle of courscaunt that lines up with the first shot of Episode III, like exactly.

11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Watching that final pursuit of the Emperor with Grievous and his droids vs the Jedi, and my word it's glorious.

And they really went for that Skywalker armpit hair at the end...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    New episodes of Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal are now on HBOmax, and also Adult Swim. If you haven't watched the series yet, I highly recommend you do. It's pretty darned good.

Prequelfan93 likes this.
  13. I always will love Ventress first introduction with Dooku watching her

14. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    The real Clone Wars it fits better between the story of the prequels.
    Same in-fact i would argue she was better in the micro series.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021
  15. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    No flaming -TtJ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021
    TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  16. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    Not sure how that was flaming

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Coming into an appreciation thread solely to call its subject crap is not only rude but non-constructive. It was also bordering on creator-bashing by misspelling Tartakovsky's name and not capitalizing it. If not outright trolling, it was highly tone deaf.

18. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    The misspellings weren't intentional and I wasn't trolling. I just thought it was a bad show. I should've gone into more detail on why ie lucas jumping on to the latest fad.

19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    i just wanted to add that it was originally also released as two separate DVDs, so this is the way lots of people saw it for the first time.

I don’t have D+, but I assume that the two 1-hour blocks correspond to how it was presented on those original DVDs.

HolyKenobi93 likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There was nothing quite like watching these when they originally aired. I can't remember how much I caught live of Volume 1 in 2003, but the five episodes of Volume 2 were appointment viewing, just a couple months before ROTS hit theaters.

21. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    just been watching vol 1 and 2 and just think the battle scenes are epic.. i mean jousting is just sw at its best!!
    I've started a thread on the saga page about how best to encorporate the micro series into a saga rewatching. esp after bad batch release. There is so much material in the clone wars /order 66 era... please give your ideas.. i think you could go ep2.. vol 1..the clone wars.. vol 2..ep3..clone wars series 7..bad batch.. what do you guys think? Just too good to miss out

22. I remember in 2003 and 2005 being a kid watching this show you just wanted the episodes were more longer i had not knowledge about the EU back then so this show was the only way to know what Anakin and Obi Wan were doing during the Clone Wars also never knew Anakin was Vader

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am glad it’s in volumes and not by episode on Disney Plus

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  24. Grievous and Durge are the stars of the show i love 2003 version of Ventress i like the Dark Horse comics because its like a continuation of the 2003 show

Prequelfan93 likes this.
  25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    star wars jousting rules!!
    i hope that it now appearing on Disney + means it's partially being accepted into a Canon of sorts
    the battle of christophosis is duplicated after all, although no Ashoka
    have been trying to find a way of watching it or at least parts in a time line watch through.. its too good to leave out