main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Up until the last sentence you've just described Canada - not the United States.
    And your cited near-worship of the 2nd Amendment and fearmongering about BLM and "ANTIFA" to put you firmly in the "wanna bees" category despite your pretentions to being a 'centrist'.
    And back to "Someone should do something about the problems!"
    For best results, I suggest you stop trolling these forums.
    No, voting for the politicians that fight any sort of gun control is what blocks this. Angrily fighting against any sort of increased government spending, needed to run 'enforcement' and 'databases' and other necessary components of REGULATION is what blocks this.
    Congratulations! Once again, you are 100% of the problem, Mike.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Still with this guy?

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Let me get this straight: If someone is threatening my well being or a family member and I choose to defend us then that makes ME the problem? Murder is justified when doing so prevents an innocent person from being murdered by some violent criminal. You can rest your case but you have no case. You just hate guns which is your opinion. So if your family is threatened are you just gonna sit there and watch? You're going to let them have at it because of income inequality? Seriously?

I never said vigilante justice either. You're just chucking that in there. I said defending my family and home. Should it ever come to that, the decision is easy.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    You are not judge, jury and executioner.

Kick crap out of them, run away. All feasible alternatives.

The only reason that people would ever need to defend their home is because they have managed to make themselves are target for the local unsavoury characters. Home robbery etc... is typically a crime based on availability. If the house has someone in then the robber will go to where there is no one in.
    If someone breaks into your house because they think you're out, then barricade yourself in a room and call the police whilst they do their thing. Lives are not worth less than stuff.

And before you throw your asinine "you hate guns" crap at me, remember I own a couple of guns in the UK. The gun laws in the US are just wrong, your right to bear arms is insane an your consistent defending of "I have a right to kill someone if they try to break into my home" is disgusting.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but we require you to be responsible for what you do with them.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, it’s not.

Nice to see your true colors showing though. I’m not interested in being “protected” from anyone who would utter those words simultaneously, as such people are usually the ones I need protection from.

It’s what you literally have described in your past couple of posts.

As a side note, advocating the massacre of innocent animals due to considering them “varmin” could be a different discussion. Not sold on the idea of guns for that either.

Nah. Target shooting is fine.

I hate attempts at justification for murder.

7. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    As much as I share your distaste for humans using guns to diminish animal populations, it is sometimes a necessary evil. In my country, for example, we hunted large predators to extinction centuries ago. Because of this, deer populations are controlled through deer stalking. Stalking is seasonal, strictly controlled and seeks to mimic the effect of natural predation upon deer populations. It’s an ugly business, but it’s the best we can do until science develops alternative methods.

I think that the situations you are describing are a little too black-and-white. The purpose of housebreaking is to obtain high-value items or monies and to leave the premises as quickly as possible. Housebreakers are mostly unarmed (maybe it’s a little different in the US) and want to avoid contact with home-owners. So, if confronted by a housebreaker, I’m not sure that a homeowner is necessarily in a life-or-death situation.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that burglary is a terrible crime and I have seen the effect that it has on victims. I also know that split-second decisions have to be made in such situations, which can be picked-apart with hindsight.

That said, I don’t believe that anyone who breaks into my home has automatically forfeited their right to life. If someone is actively trying to kill me or those around me, then I am entitled to use as much force as is necessary to prevent that outcome (in certain circumstances this might include taking a life). If someone is trying to steal my blu-ray collection, I’d rather they run off and let me make an insurance claim.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s generally true in the US as well. Break ins happen when the burglar is pretty sure no one will be home. They are usually unarmed and quite a few of the cases here involved teenagers or very young adults. They are looking for high priced items to pawn for money.

…yet another reason not to own a gun. They’re very popular in pawn shops.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'd love to see the numbers of actual armed home-invaders who are killed by home-owners defending their turf over the last 50 years...versus...the amount of gun-fetishers who fantasize about one day needing to kill-murder someone in order to defend their family from someone entering their home and being the hero of their own story.

I have no problem with guns.

I do have an issue with that the 'fact' that it seems like every 2nd Amendment gun fan fetishizes about their guns, takes pictures of their guns, poses with their guns, and thinks we all live in the wild wild west and are ready to kill anyone at any point in the day to prove how manly or whatever they are.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Why doesn't anyone seem to understand that in America you need to be ready to shoot the people who are about to break into your home?

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I do think there's an important distinction between "a gun was used to end a crime" and "a gun was used to kill a criminal", because it seems a lot of people see the first and the last as the same thing.

The last situation I was in, while I'd expected to get beaten since I was outnumbered, someone in the car pulled a gun instead. They didn't bolt because they had an attack of conscience or the police showed up, they took off because a neighbor saw what was going on and came out with his gun. When he let them know he had one, they took off. I was going to be in big trouble no matter what they had, and I knew from experience that the police were unlikely to show up, but the gun my neighbor had was used to prevent that crime from getting worse.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The rare occasion where a good guy with a gun actually worked.

It's far too infrequent though and Lowie was lucky that a neighbour went for his gun to help the reality is (for QGM reference) that most neighbours even with a gun, would have seen that happen and just close the door and go and hide rather than risk getting involved.

13. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, animal control is sometimes necessary. A farmer, at least smaller family owned, ones can’t have crops being destroyed and land damaged due to an over run of critters. There are things they can do like fencing and other possible deterrents. But those don’t always work. Deer are a huge problem in upstate, NY where I live because of the negative attitudes towards natural predators and a too short hunting season. It really can be a problem.

On burglary: I probably should have made a better distinction between feeling threatened and someone stealing a few blu rays! No, you don’t shoot someone unless your life or a family members life is in danger. Anytime I’ve purchased a firearm the last thing on my mind was how "good it will be to defend the home". I do some target and sport shooting. A little trap and skeet here and there. I don’t hunt. My initial reply was countering the idea that being willing to defend oneself somehow makes me "just looking for trouble" or whatever. Chances are, most small time burglars will try to enter when no one is home. They don’t want a confrontation. Luckily, the other much more dangerous situation like a home invasion or an attempt to abduct someone is very rare. It’s those thankfully rare situations where force is fully justified in my mind.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    How does one go about discerning the difference? And how much time is there to go for one’s guns once the difference is apparent?
    Which is why the most effective ways to protect one’s home, property, and family are
    1. An alarm system
    2. A well-trained dog.

Bonus: an alarm system won’t attack guests or family members.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I wonder how much a good "beware of the dog" and an "ADT" SIGN protect one's home too.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'll certainly add that wasn't the only time a gun had been at the ready, it's just that the other time was a woman trying to hit us with an SUV, and we only knew the gun was there when we checked the security cameras to see the neighbor was ready if the situation got worse, but he hadn't announced he had it (no time, and she was in a vehicle). So it didn't play any role in the event. Certainly was more available than anything else since the police usually took that same "not bother to get involved" approach and would just not respond to these situations. Getting a neighbor to respond was much more likely to occur than the police. The broader point being.... if the US had a sense that there was some sort of service available to protect people, then the pressure for individual gun ownership wouldn't be as high. The US currently doesn't have such an organization in a great many areas.

It's baffling that at one hand, QGM holds up the 2nd amendment as important, yet he's very clear to say that even though the 2nd amendment actually says why guns are necessary, he doesn't support the reasoning that the 2nd amendment gives for justifying the right to bear arms.

Then again, it's equally baffling that he thinks anyone is going to believe his definition of when to shoot someone given his previously cavalier attitude to people being shot. It rings exceptionally hollow to act like now he's about it being done in a restrained fashion.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    More effectively than a sign saying that the resident is a gun-owner, according to a survey of convicted burglars.

Sauntaero, Rew, blackmyron and 5 others like this.
  18. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Guys: I won’t argue any of these points. Dogs aren’t an option for everyone like us who have zero interest in dog ownership. A security system and cameras are more viable. None of this changes the fact that the vast majority of gun owners are decent people and don’t get up everyday seeking out ways to shoot people.

Side Note: I actually think there are too many cameras these days. They’re pointed everywhere and at everything. What a lame time to be a burglar. :).

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Nobody has ever argued that the vast majority of gun owners are psychotic murderers. The problem is that there are so many gun owners in the US that even the tiny minority of them who are in fact psychotic murderers or just have a brain snap represent such a significant threat that you still have mass shootings every other day.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It didn't get any better in 2020. Mass shootings went on at a rate of slightly more than one per day last year, despite the pandemic.

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It’s a comprehensive explanation for a large chunk of our gun woes. The prevalence of guns is so high that all possible things that can go wrong happen often enough to create a massive amalgamated public health and public safety catastrophe.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You can save time by just posting this instead of your long-winded posts that essentially boil down to this anyways.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know every time I see this thread bumped I assume the worst. I was right of course

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Two years, today, and just still a mix of emotions everywhere in me.