main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2021 Fanfiction Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , May 24, 2021.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Time to wake up and smell the smoke Olympic flames! :D Presently considering fandom. [face_thinking]

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew Happy to have you aboard for another Fanfic Summer Olympics!:)Whenever you decide, let me know, and I'll add you to the index!

3. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for hosting this again! Last year's was lots of fun. :)

Hopefully I won't end up changing this, but right now I'd like to sign up for two SW Pentathlons, please. One will focus on Captain Raymus Antilles. The second will be for a group of four OC New Republic soldiers (nicknamed the AT-STs).

4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Yay! I was actually thinking about this event recently and I'm so, so excited to see it back! :D Thank you so much for running it!

Not sure yet about signing up to write anything, but I really like the option this year of writing for a particular 'verse or story arc because I feel like that might be a bit more flexible and helpful to the muse. In theory, anyway. :p And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with because it all sounds amazing already!

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm super excited to have this back again this year!! The finicky muse seemed to really like it even though I didn't finish. I'm going to give it a shot and hope it helps again. I'm also going to go for something completely different.

I'd like to sign up for the Non-Star Wars Triathlon with Bucky Barnes (The Winter Soldier) from the Marvel Cinematic Universe

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I will have enough stories for the pentathlon

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I so would like to do this, but I've got so many (many) outstanding challenges to do. Plus I can't seem to get motivated to write anything more than a couple of lines. I mean if we have until July, then things might change.

I will stop whining now. The idea is awesome as always and I can't wait to see the amazing creations that come out of it.

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Lovely to see another batch of sign-ups!=D=

@Thumper09 So glad you are excited to see the Fanfiction Summer Olympics return this year! I hope you will enjoy the event just as much this year, and I've got you down for two Star Wars Pentathlons in the index:)If you do end up changing your mind, just let me know, and I'll edit the index.

@amidalachick I'm so happy that you're pleased to see this event back, and I'm so grateful to all the people who have participated in it as writers, readers, and reviewers:)I definitely understand not being sure about writing anything yet. The good thing is the event doesn't start until July, so there is still plenty of time to decide. I'm so glad that you like the idea of writing for a particular story arc or 'verse and think that might be helpful to your muse. It would be awesome to see you sign up if you do decide to do so, and I am so excited to see the wonderful crop of stories that I'm sure will be produced this year!

@mavjade So happy to hear that you're excited to have this event back this year!:)I hope that the event can be as helpful to your muse this year as it was last year. I've got you all signed up for the Non-Star Wars Triathlon in the index!

@earlybird-obi-wan Excellent!:)I've updated the index to list you as doing a Star Wars Pentathlon now!

@Kit' I definitely know the feeling of having too many challenges to complete and struggling with motivation[:D]The event starts in July and runs through all of August with the opportunity to sign up at any time in those months, so if you want to start at any time, you can.

9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I think I might try to do "Lance Stormbreaker"/Claire Moonstep.

Some of you may remember this pairing from my UDC thread.

AzureAngel2, Kahara, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Awesome!:)I'll put you down for a Non-Star Wars Triathlon in the index. Let me know if you ever want to bump it up to a Pentathlon or a Decathlon!

AzureAngel2, Kahara, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    What do you mean? It is Star Wars. "Lance Stormbreaker" is an alias for a certain BAMF Jedi.

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, oops. My mistake.:oops: I will put you down for Star Wars instead.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, so let it be known that I AM WEAK!

I sat down this morning to plan out some general plot points, and a whole bunch of NSWFF bunnies came out of hiding and attacked me. So, I'm going to indulge the feral little beasties and see how far I can go.

That said, on the NSWFF side of things I would like to add a Hades/Persphone pentathlon for Lore Olympus, and a Zuko/Katara Decathlon for AtLA. Because, honestly, I really just want to explore all of the post-Book Three potential that canon sadly squandered without writing a mega epic story on the subject as it truly deserves. I've trying to keep things small here, but oh boy, I am truly enjoying every bit of what I'm brainstoring thus far. [face_mischief] [face_love]

You, um, can also bump my Tim/Lucy triathlon to a Pentathlon, if you don't mind? I've already written all three entries for my Triathlon and I'm beyond pleased with them. I think I can do more, now! What can I say? I've been inspired. :p ;)

Thank-you ever so much, @devilinthedetails, for everything! [:D] [:D]

EDIT: Scratch that . Make my Tim/Lucy a decathlon. I'm up to six entries written now, and I have ideas for the rest. [face_laugh] ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @devilinthedetails You have no idea what you have unleashed [face_laugh] Just a few days ago I was complaining that everything I write is unadulterated crap, but now that I took a closer look at the prompts the words are flowing and I've been writing stuff by the kilometre. It all still has a long way to go before it's fit for posting, but I have all my key points and my punchlines in there and I know where I'm going. I'm a happy customer right now :D

I'd like to sign up for a second event, a SW Pentathlon featuring Thrawn and Ezra, but with a caveat. The decathlon and pentathlon are all part of the same story, but the Eli/Vah'nya stuff takes place in the present and the Thrawn & Ezra stuff in flashbacks. Is that okay?

I also have another question. If I understand correctly the explanation you gave in last year's challenge thread, for the Fantastical Fencing bit, a Force user using the Force in front of a "Muggle" qualifies as fantastical. Is that correct?

15. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, fine, sign me up for a SW pentathlon for the Chaos Twins (OCs Darth Festus & Darth Ferrus). :p [face_mischief]

It might get bumped to a decathlon, but I'll start smaller for now. ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    *cough*decathlon*/cough cough* [face_batting] [face_mischief]

But, in all seriousness, it's so fantastic to see ALL of the fantastic talent signing up for this. It's going to be an epic summer! [face_dancing] [:D]

17. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_shhh]

Okay, let's be real, it'll probably happen because I have no self-control. [face_whistling]

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles! All this nummy reading to look forward to.

I wish to enter the Non-SW Decathlon with the following:

Star Trek Ensemble--this will involve a myriad of characters, original and established.

I will be doing the Single Sentence, Fantastical Fencing, Word Sprint, Word Hurdle, and Cross Country. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    [​IMG]

From my Memorial Day vacation without the Internet in time to answer all your questions and comments:cool:

@Mira_Jade Yay, I'm so glad you're going to indulge more plot bunnies[face_dancing] I've got you down for a Hades/Persephone Pentathlon, a Zuko/Katara Decathlon, and a Tim/Lucy Decathlon. If more plot bunnies attack and you want to indulge them, just let me know and I can bump anything up or add you for another category. I know how wild and demanding plot bunnies can be! Also, I can't wait to see what you come up with for a Zuko/Katara Decathlon[face_love]And thank you for supporting this challenge and being so eager to participate in it yourself. [:D]

@Chyntuck I'm so happy to hear that this event has got the words flowing for you again. :DSometimes all it takes is the right challenge, and the words coming pouring out again like a fountain!

I'll add you to the index for a Thrawn &Ezra Star Wars Pentathlon as well. I think it sounds awesome and fascinating to have the pentathlon and decathlon taking place in the same story but with one in the flashbacks and one in the present. So it is absolutely okay by me, and I think it is a wonderfully creative approach!

And, yes, a Force user using the Force in front of a Muggle definitely counts as fantastical for the Fantastical Fencing event:)

@ViariSkywalker I've got you all signed up for a Star Wars Pentathlon featuring the Chaos Twins! If you do decide to do a Decathlon instead, just let me know, and I can edit the index to reflect that:)

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha So awesome to have you aboard!:DAnd, yes, there is going to be so much delightful reading ahead. I can hardly wait to see what everyone comes up with for a Fanfic Olympics this summer!=D=And I've got you down for the Non-Star Wars Decathlon featuring a Star Trek Ensemble cast:)

I think that is everyone, but if I missed anyone or entered someone for the wrong category, just let me know, and I can edit the index again!:cool:

20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Ok, I'd like to sign up for the Star Wars Pentathlon with Hera Syndulla.

21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    On further reflection, may I change my pentathlon to Hera Syndulla and Kanan Jarrus, please? Thank you!

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I. Will. Not. SQUEE! [face_laugh] [face_love]

24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Certainly! I'll edit the index to reflect that:)

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I think I'll give this a try this year! I love the idea of this challenge and did last year, too—I just wasn't able to take part back then because of RL busyness and stress, though I greatly enjoyed reading the stories that resulted (prime material for those Fanfic Festival "best character" and "best relationship" categories!). But I think this year I just may be able to manage!

So, it's possible I'll alter or add to this later, but here's what I would like to start with: Pentathlon featuring the Rose Evergreen crew (OCs). (You may see what I'm doing there: it's a group of five characters, and roses almost always have five petals, or a multiple thereof. @};- )

Thanks so much—really looking forward to this! :)