main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Reading this thread in the last couple weeks has resparked my interest in Zelda. I’ve been out of the loop with video games for ages. Wind Waker is the last new Zelda Game I played.

Two years ago I really enjoyed a revisit of A Link to the Past on Super Nintendo mini.

Is Breath of the Wild worth buying a Switch for. And what do you need for a Switch? Amazon sells the console in a number of different packages at different price point.

And do people who have played the game agree with reviews? BotW is the best Zelda game made and one of the best video games ever made???

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I got my Switch initially just for BOTW, so yeah I'd say it's worth it. All you initially need is an HDMI cable, it comes with its own power cable and a single pair of joycons.

I can't really speak to its status as one of the greatest games of all time, but it's definitely one of the best Zeldas. To me there's no real perfect Zelda game, most of the games have their highs and lows. BOTW has some high highs but also some more mediocre elements strewn in when viewed as a whole.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Buy a SNES and Link to the Past.:D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Fixed.
    I know, I'm a heathen. :p

5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Or a GBC and Links Awakening.

6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    My opinion is somehow less relevant then the others since it's my first Zelda, but if you like fantasy RPG and puzzles/problem solving it's rather difficult not to be amazed by this game. It's not easy to answer the other questions because the answer would be subjective.
    Not sure whether it's the best game ever made but it's one of the best I've played, and whether it's worth to buy the Switch really depends on your financial situation. If it's not a devastating sacrifice four your finances, I'd say it's worthy, considering in particular that objectively it's unlikely that it'd be the only game you play.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Personally, I did NOT buy a Switch for it because I played BotW on my Wii U, but if I didn't own a Wii U, then my answer would be a resounding yes.

Regarding the system, you have the Switch ($299 USD) and the Switch Lite ($199 USD). While BotW is playable on the Lite (some games are not) I feel that the Switch system with the detachable Joy-Cons would be your best bet, especially for the motion controls needed for certain puzzles. I think some of those puzzles might be difficult to solve if you're trying to move your Lite around while looking at the screen at the same time. The extra $100 is worth it IMO. Also @Todd the Jedi mentioned needing an HDMI, but mine came with one and I got one for Christmas last year.

Any high praise you've read is definitely warranted. I would definitely rank BotW in my top 5, maybe top 3, favorite Zelda games. It's massive which is daunting at first, but then you just get lost in it. I remember turning on the game with the intent of getting from A to B. On the way to B, I would get pulled in different adventures/exploring and before I knew it an hour just flew by. Whenever I wasn't playing, I was thinking about what to do next. It's easy to fall in love with. The game is not without its flaws and small things one could nitpick, but overall the positives overshadow the negatives in spades.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks everybody. I’m very tempted buy a Switch and return to Hyrule.

The $299 Switch comes with the detachable Joy-Cons? I want a version I can play on a TV. This system is a bit confusing. It’s a portable system like a game boy that has the sides of the screen detach to become controllers and the screen is inserted into a stand that makes Switch a console playable on TV? Skit portable and a console - hence the name Switch. And the Joy-Cons can be held in each hand or plugged in a handle that makes them more like a traditional controller?

Amazon has bundles with different add-on items like cases, screen protectors, chargers, wrist cords, memory cards, etc, etc.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yes, but there is also a Pro Controller that is more traditional and feels great. It’s the only controller I use for my Switch unless I’m playing in handheld.

It is worth noting that there are heavy rumors floating around that a new Switch model (usually theorized as a “Switch Pro”) is on the way this year, so it may be worth waiting a little while and seeing if anything comes from that. There is a Breath of the Wild sequel on the way that may take advantage of the new hardware if/when it turns out to be real.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Thank you. Just looked it. Super Nintendo Switch. A lot stories on it from just yesterday. I’ll wait and see.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have to agree with TTT that when I'm not playing I often find myself thinking about what can still be done and for a decent week the game ended up being comfortably at the top of the things I think about during the day.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I'm holding off for the new Switch.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Breath of the Wild is a great game and arguably one of the greatest games on the Nintendo Switch—maybe of all time—but (unpopular opinion time) it’s not a very good Zelda game. It veers too far from the established series formula for my liking.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Some have already answered your questions, but yes, the Joy Cons on the side of the $299 Switch system are detachable. The entire gaming system is held in your hands. The $299 system comes with the dock that allows you to play it on the TV so that's the one you want. There are multiple configurations on how you can chose to play your system.
    While in the dock:
    1) Detach the joy cons and play with one in each hand.
    2) Detach the joy cons and place them in the provided plastic piece to create a controller
    3) Purchase the separately sold "Pro Controller" (this is what I have and I highly recommend it. It's super comfortable and feels good in the hands compared to the first two configurations, it holds a charge for quite a while, and while it's charging you can always use the joy cons in configuration 1 or 2)
    While out of the dock:
    1) same
    2) same
    3) same
    4) Don't detach the joy cons and play the game right in front of your face like you would an old Gameboy

As for bundles, I'll leave it to your discretion on what you choose to buy. If you can find a good deal, great, but mostly I feel some retailers upcharge you when providing multiple things in a bundle that you'll never really use. The system comes with wrist cords so you don't need extra ones of those. Personally, I don't use a memory card and that's probably only if you're going to download a lot of games. Personally, I've found that extras/add ons are usually cheaper if you bought separately.

Rumors are that a "Switch Pro" is coming this Fall. It's said that the new Switch Pro will reportedly be more powerful than the base model and include a higher-resolution OLED screen. Maybe we'll get news on or before E3 via a Nintendo Direct. So maybe wait 10 days or so before making a decision.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah this is definitely not a good time to buy... any console at all, honestly. While it's a weird streaming hodgepodge this year, it's still announcement season.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    lol this is exactly how I got to Goron city

Yes, yes, I know, there are better ways. I just didn't happen to find them.

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Terminal Montage is one of my favorite YouTube animators of all time. Good to see his stuff getting some love around here!

3sm1r likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's like the first time I played and didn't know about the warm doublet at the Great Plateau and jerry-rigged a bridge to cross the frozen river so I could carry a torch across to keep me warm all the way to the shrine. Better ways maybe, but it made for a fun challenge.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Now it's really fixed.

You're welcome.

;)

Rew and christophero30 like this.
  21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I like the animation in that game. I own it but have only played the beginning part.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Currently replaying The Legend of Zelda on the original NES hooked up to a CRT television.

I've obtained 5 Triforce pieces, 13 Hearts, and all 16 Bombs so far. Working my way through labyrinth 6, but having a bit of trouble with the Wizzrobes nearing the final rooms of the dungeon. Nice that they had Gleeok return. I'm nearly to the final boss in Level 6, but I'm gonna have to make sure to have red water next time I resume my quest.

That room where the stone statues are firing on you as you have to kill 8 or so Keeses (bats) to open the door is annoying lol.

This game is so amazing and still holds up.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It really is a solid game still- but unforgiving. My last "not really trying to get far" playthrough lost me a few lives before I got past Level 1 and then I couldn't remember where Levels 2 or 3 were located. All this was so much easier 35 years ago, lol. A rental night from Blockbuster would get me through Level 3 with no trouble...

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  24. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Contrary to other schools of Link, i personally think running headfirst at the guardians is awesome. Aim for the legs and when its eye lights up:

Do a Barrel Roll.

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I discovered that they oscillate if you get them in the eye with an arrow, wasting time, so by keeping hitting them in the eye it's possible to succeed, but it's very expensive because you might need something like 10 bomb arrows.... In general my main problem in this game is that I keep finishing the arrows all the time.