main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the original Silent Hill games. I played 1-4 back in 2008 when I was just getting into survival horror. 2 is the best one, but 1 and 3 are great as well. 4 has good atmosphere, but it falls apart due to a forgettable lead and some truly awful gameplay mechanics during the second half. I played Origins which was fine, but it didn't feel like Silent Hill. Same with Homecoming. I've been meaning to revisit the first three at some point.

christophero30 likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is the extent of my knowledge of the Silent Hill franchise:

Based on Rogue’s post I think I basically have the gist of it.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Zelda, Breath of the wild, which happens to be one of the best video games I've ever played, and in its genre the absolute best full stop.

Before that I played Let's go Eevee, which is good for the nostalgia, and Pokemon shield. I had to abandon Pokemon Shield. Not a fan at all. I find most new pokemon ugly so it's difficult to feel involved. Also, the dynamax power doesn't feel right.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    [​IMG]

3sm1r likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Biomutant

It turns out that the boss fight that gave me cause to conclude I wasn't completing this was wholly unrepresentative of the other three! Those were considerably more straight forward, with the third being the hardest but nowhere near boss two.

Kept expecting there to be a final twist but there wasn't - and it's better without it.

It's a flawed game but it does have some redeeming features, if you get to them. It might do well on Gamepass.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  6. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla

Well, what to say about this game...to tell you the truth I really wasn’t that impressed by it, the story was ok, the characters were very dull and unlikeable (other than Ceolbert who was an absolute flower, such a nice guy), and the location wasn’t as engaging as Odyssey was. But I have to say Odyssey used a lot brighter colours, whilst the UK is pretty grey most of time, given it rains so much! xD

That being said, it was fun enough, and there were parts I really enjoyed; such as exploring the world, trying to find locations I actually know (the county I live in was included in the game, so that was cool), the fact you could pick up cats (amazing!!) and the soundtrack was nice.

Overall, it wasn’t a bad game, but it wasn’t great either (in my opinion) but is a nice addition to the series.

So my overall ranking for the series goes as follows:

II > Rev > Bro > BF > Od > Or > U > Ro > FC > Lib > III > I > Val > S

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which console did you play it on Moll?

Moll likes this.
  8. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    PS4

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That explains it. On PS4 it is greyer, the PS5 version is far more colourful and vibrant.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That is my complaint about the 360, how so many games have that brown washed out quality like LA haze.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Moll likes this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn (2017) the other day, after prevaricating playing it for about a year, oops.

Cons:

-Combat takes a while to be satisfying, you really need a diverse set of bows to deal with the larger machines, at thanks to the annoying hunting and gathering system, that can take a while. Once I got a decent loadout, things improved, there's a nice rhythm with elemental damages and targeting weakspots. But through the first half of the game combat encounters were consistent slogs

-There's not actually much in the way of satisfying rewards for combat even once you get good. Lots of different resources, but none really feel important. Outfit weaves were over abundant and barely noticeable. And due to the insane amount of specific one-off pieces of loot needed for new outfits or weapons, I mostly didn't get to experience much beyond a basic set I went with to make myself efficient in surviving. The only collectables I actually enjoyed finding were the vantages and data logs, since they actually gave you some interesting lore about the old world.

Pros:

-The story, in particular the worldbuilding. The actual plot and main missions were fine, a passable narrative, but I really loved learning about the major tribes, the old world and its downfall, the history and politics of the interrelated factions. Not the most surprising story, any twists were predictable, but there was enough care and detail that it was a rich enough setting to captivate me.

-Visuals, part of its to do with the amazing world that was built, but that landscapes are amazing, with a really long draw distance. Near the edges of the map you can get high up and savour the distant views of ancient ruins or cities, with machines migrating slowly across the world.

So overall, the gameplay, when you can get your teeth into it, is quite enjoyable, but it took a long time to find the right groove and get good. The story was executed well and I want to see more of the world and characters (thankfully the sequel's due soon).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Still got quite awhile till I’m at that point but I am seriously debating buying Trails in the Sky games on PS3 to have ready once I finally finish Cold Steel games. There’s just one little problem that’s keeping me from doing so..they only have 2 of the 3 games for sale which doesn’t make a bit of sense to me. So play them and then just watch game 3 play through on YouTube? That doesn’t sound to appealing but I could probably do it.

I’m in love with this franchise and milking Cold Steel for all it’s worth. Been playing them over a year now and I’m on CS3 now. Hopefully onto 4 in a month or so.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know there's one after Cold Steel 4? New series technically but continues the story.

We might be getting PS4 translations for the Crossbell games as well.

Best strategy is to do a Yakuza - keep buying and playing and talking about them to prove there's a western audience base. Then maybe they'll do a remastered Sky trilogy.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It literally took so long to get approval for and to translate Trails in the Sky SC that by the time it came out the PSP was beyond dead. They did eventually translate The 3rd, but that translation was only released for PC (which is what the series is "actually" for despite how dodgy the western PC versions are; Falcom gonna Falcom). That said, it's not quite like Cold Steel - Trails in the Sky and SC were initially conceived as one game, with the first one even literally ending on a cliffhanger. The 3rd is kind of an epilogue that was made later, focusing on different main characters (Think Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World but not total ass).

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes Hajimari. Got to wait for English version. That Crossbell arc better come out on console. I’m just vexed that PS3 only has 2 of the 3 games on store...ed aww just saw Ramza’s post. Did not know that. I will go ahead with the buy then.

Having Hajimari on hand right as I finish CS4 would be the best but I don’t think I ll get that lucky.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm considering getting Fallout 3 and New Vegas on Steam. Yay or nay?

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I kind of think 3 has aged poorly but New Vegas is terrific. Plus on PC you can download fan patches to fix the remaining bugs.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yay for sure.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yay to both for me. They are two different styles, though. Fallout 3 is a lot more 'post-apocalyptic' and initially scarcer with resources and such. Crafting is basically non-existent, but morality actually matters.
    New Vegas is more vibrant; however, apart from the DLCs, isn't particularly 'post-apocalyptic'. Guns and ammo are plentiful. Morality is unimportant. Crafting is more robust.
    Storywise, both are interesting. Voicework can be hit or miss (there's one particularly terrible piece of voicework by a kid in New Vegas). Overall, I think you'll enjoy both.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I unlocked all the tracks in Rage Racer, not that it's that hard. I like the Ridge Racer series. Not the deepest games, but does arcade racing very well. (ps one)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Be careful with FO3 on Steam, it's difficult to get it working on Win7 or later. Get it on GOG instead.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    hmm I have some people telling me that even though Sky is on the Store it’s not actually a PS3 playable game on it.(?) It’s PSP which I don’t have. I sure would have liked to roll straight into them after I finished Cold Steel 4.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Really loved it’s look and that there’s way more wandering around tombs than shooting, dissatisfied with some of the choices in its ending. Fun game over all though.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're definitely PSP games, not PS3 games. I don't know the logistics on what (if any) PSP titles were playable on PS3.

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Unlocked all the tracks in Ridge Racer 4 for ps one. The last track is an oval with fireworks. Victory lap![face_party]