main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There's nothing here to suggest that's what's happening here.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed. My only point with my "a statement like that sounds like it could be quite a while away" was that he could have simply said there's a plan, but it's a long plan and they will begin making the movie when the time is right... something like that. Just so nobody would be expecting him to start making a SW movie tomorrow that comes out next year. But his statement was so vague and made more reference to his own involvement in other non-SW things ("There’s a whole lot of other little things that I’ve got my sticky little fingers attached to, so we’ll see...") than it did to there simply being a long term plan, that it made things sound less sure, IMO.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This. ^

Filmmakers should learn not to answer questions about big franchise movies with a shrug. Just say "it'll be awhile because we're taking our time to get it right". Uncertainty and vague answers are excitement and confidence killers. And franchise fans don't care what other projects you're putting their favorite franchise off for. "Prioritize what I care about" will always be the response.

PR is a fine art, and shouldn't be drawn in crayon. ;)

2Cleva and EHT like this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    On the contrary, if I'm interested in a filmmaker, then I'm interested in that filmmaker – Taika's Star Wars is but one of many projects he's working on, and that's cool.

And I'd rather have a truthful "It's still a while off yet" than some PR-laden pull quote about following a plan and all that; any of those clearly-orchestrated PR dealings always wind up the first bits of information that are overanalyzed and spun into all of the weird "The plan is falling apart" conspiracy theories in the fandom circles when things change and grow naturally.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What could possibly go wrong with that plan?!

2Cleva likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Common sense! That has no chance of actually happening.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    They started the script, like... a year ago, and I think the earliest they'd start filming is 2023, more realistically 2024. They're doing this well in advance, just like everyone has been complaining for. I think they'll be fine.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the logo that they revealed with this is pretty unique and specific, kind of suggests to me that there’s a pretty clear idea for this film

2Cleva likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I mean obviously they won’t start filming without a script. The idea that they would is laughable. It could still change a lot during filming like with Rogue One and countless other movies but a script will be in place.

10. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    sure, I’m just saying they have a unique logo, so they probably have a story idea to go with that

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. And Jenkins herself seems pretty invested in this story.

PymParticles likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That logo that was shown is the only reason why I'm most interested about this. That, and Thor Ragnarok, which I thought was brilliant.

13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    wait, are the two films connected? maybe I missed something?

I was just thinking about the Waititi film, the blue letters and all

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah there is no way they would film without a script. That is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No I just forgot which movie we were talking about. :p

PymParticles , EHT and starfish like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Come on, keep up. :p

17. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, it would help me to keep up, if the rest of you can all keep up

please, stay on target lol

Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The logo reminds me a bit of the logo for Land of the Lost. Maybe Taika's film will take place in the ancient past. I can imagine the opening phrase to be something like:
    A really, really, really, really long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . . .

Sarge likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/taika-waititi-free-guy

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Seems like an odd choice.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    PAN DOWN from the TWIN SUNS of Tatooine. We are now CLOSE ON the mouth of the Sarlacc Pit. After a BEAT the gloved Mandalorian armored gauntlet of BOBA FETT grabs onto the sand outside the Sarlacc Pit.

Don’t worry Patton Oswalt is on it! :p

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm glad at least someone was thinking this question besides me. His answer doesn't give much in the way of comfort.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again.

I want this movie to take the Sequel Trilogy cast and give them the Thor Ragnarok treatment, also bring back Mark Hamill as Force Ghost Luke, with improvised direction from Taika Waititi. Ignore all the “end of the Skywalker Saga” BS that was the marketing campaign for Rise of Skywalker. Use the allure of working with Taika Waititi to coax Harrison Ford back into working on Star Wars again for some flashbacks or an intro sequence prologue with Luke. Differentiate it from “Skywalker Saga” by making a new enemy faction not tied at all to Darth Sidious.

I’m not even a Sequel hater, I just want a better overall send off for the OT characters than Episode 9, and give actors like Oscar Isaac, Boyega, Kelly Marie Tran the creative flexibility they wanted but never really received

Taika Waititi is the cool kid in Hollywood and convinced Natalie Portman to come back to friggin Thor and have Christian Bale Star as the main villain so I’m pretty sure he can convince everyone to come back around one more time

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    maybe you could just watch some Adam and Joe videos.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd rather this have nothing to do with Skywalkers or even Jedi. I don’t think Taika’s sensibilities as a filmmaker really gel with big lore dump Saga building. I’d rather this be something completely irreverent. Like the GFFA’s version of The Suicide Squad… with Jaxxon as a main character. :p