main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Haptic Feedback in Black (and a Trenchcoat): The PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Oct 8, 2019.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Rift Apart’s Trophy List revealed

I’m kinda bummed that the Platinum can be earned in one playthrough and the list looks relatively easy. Wonder if the game will have a challenge mode at all?

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Holyeverlovingsith y’all!

I finally upgraded a game to PS5. No Man’s Sky. I thought my controller was broken when I took off in ship. I HAD NO IDEA that feedback stuff was that crazy! My trigger was heavy!

Rogue1-and-a-half and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And what about the graphics? First time I booted it up it was very distracting with the visuals being so good. The load times are also insanely fast.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  4. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Very fast load time and yeah the extra detail is lit. I so wish I hadn’t lost my 65in 4K. Ugh

most impressive thing to me though was that feedback! It can’t really be described..it has to be felt. I mean just how the hell did they make these things where you actually have to apply pressure? It’s insane to feel.

heels1785 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah - the best features of PS5 can't easily be advertised, they're very experience based.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Is there not a Ghost of Tsushima PS5 upgrade? I sure don’t see it in store.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think there is, but I think it is automatically added to the game when you boot it up on PS5. You might also trigger an update by booting it up too.

God of War is similar.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I’m pretty sure Ghost of Tsushima doesn’t have a PS5 upgrade. But it doesn’t really need one. It’s already gorgeous, it runs well, and the load times are nearly nonexistent.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I don’t think it does. Just bumps it to 60 FPS from what I’m seeing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Got a frustrating issue popping up pissing my son and I off. PS4 in RV, PS5 in my bedroom. Can’t be played at the same time. Ugh we suspend each other’s current activity.

That’s super annoying.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seems Sony's delay of God of War: Ragnarok, along with their confirming that it will be on PS4 as well, has set off a whole lot of chatter around whether undermines Sony's position a year ago, made to set them apart from MS' making all games cross generational, of wanting to focus on PS5.

It's pretty much accepted the shortage of supply to meet demand is the major factor in this, but after the last six months, I'm not convinced the sell to buy a PS5 is still to buy PS5 exclusive games, but far more to just play PS5 games, whether it be fully exclusive or an upgraded PS4 game because the PS5 versions of those have been so good. Technically, all these started as PS4 games:
    • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    • Fenyx: Immortals Rising
    • No Man's Sky
    • God of War
    • Destiny 2
    • Watch Dogs: Legion
    • Warframe
    • Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon
    But the PS5 version for each is distinctly different to the Ps4 and it's not just graphics. It's the feel, the haptic feedback; the incredibly fast load times, then also the graphics. The recent upgrade for NMS is amazing, as was the PS5 only GoW upgrade. Playing D2 is very, very different on Ps5, it's far more than just looking better and that in turn changes what is meant by a generation of consoles.

Sure, Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 are all going to be PS4 and PS5, but the last six months tells me the difference between the two versions will be pretty damn massive. Enough to sell the Ps5. Combine that with the continuation of the "buy PS4 copy, get free upgrade to PS5 version" and it'll probably be a pretty effective strategy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Mr Zircon will deliver your copy of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Reviews suggest its a bit average and short (14hrs or so) £70 is a bit much for an short average game so I'll be waiting till it's discounted.

Hope you find it fun though

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You think I'm paying £70? Nope. £62.85? Yes.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    £30 and I'll seriously consider it. Any more than that then I'll wait

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll be waiting a while for it to get to that kind of level, say a year probably.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I don’t play those games but cheers to those that do.

I should be getting some new TVs soon so I’m quite excited to finally get off this tiny 32in thing and going back to atleast 65 but probably 70-85 if the right price. Can’t wait to see how this bad boy works on them.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Its Metascore is 89 lmao

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't typically read the score as the numbers mean nothing. Of the handful of reviews I've read they all said it's "OK" but lacking, the rift stuff is fun but limited and it's about 14hrs long at best.

I'm not paying £70 for a game thats only 14hrs long and is "OK"

Drop the price and yeah I'll jump on but even the old £60 would be too much on that one.

I'll get it eventually and I'm sure it'll be silly and fun but I'm not getting it full price though. I've got the Integrade expansion to cover off this month along with my daughters 17th. I can't justify £70 on a game where I only found the free PS+ version as mildly interesting.

It looks great but not for me right now

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The more accurate Q is what the quality of those 14 hours are but, everything I've heard, says 14 hours if you speed run it.
    Hmm, so you're working on the basis that the new one will be the same as a four year old game? Sure, there'll be similarities but given Insomniac's track record here, I think there will be more to it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Fair but also not

Ratchet and Clank is years old but the first and only one I've played is the free one. Insomniacs track record is very good but I just can't justify £60+ on a game where my interest is a little above "looks interesting"

Horizon 2 will be a day 1 purchase, I'll pay for the Yuffie update tomorrow. A Red Dead remake on GTA6 will be day one purchases but £60+ on a game that I'm just not invested in is not going to happen. IF the initial reviews were "it's absolutely amazing and it's 20+ hours with loads of stuff we still haven't seen" then, yeah, it's worth a punt but otherwise it's a no from me.

Biomutant looked interesting and as a new IP I felt was worth a punt until you popped in your initial review, your perspective may be a little different now but I'm waiting on that till it drops in price a little. I'll do the same here.

I look forwards to the initial reviews and I hope that they're good enough to make me want to play it but then I bought into the Ghosts of Tsushima feedback on here and in all honesty I don't like the game.
    I'll pass for now, but only for a short while.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Biomutant is likely to be a faster price drop. But, you have to go through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff, and it depends on how you permanently build your character - there's no respec ability. Yes, I found a way to get my money's worth out of it, but it was pure luck that I did. Biomutant is a GamePass / PSNow game.

ZanderSolo and FatBurt like this.
  24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I intend to do a full replay of FF7R and the Yuffie sections before I get anything new

I'm also part way through a replay of TLOU and then TLOU2 to follow.

Biomutant I suspect will be PSNow/+ pretty soon as FF7 hit it pretty quickly

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The bigger aspect to Rift Apart which i think is being missed is that it is a universal title. It aims for the same cross-audience target that Disney and Pixar go for. For triple (Sterling on) AAA (off) games this is unusual.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're not intrigued enough to drop £60 on it. But neither does that outlook require anything more, like trying to say it doesn't do anything that special or look that good. (I know there'll be a backlash crowd, such is the internet.)

Reviews I've seen have been ACG, YongYea, SkillUp and WhatCulture. They've been very positive.

Do I hedge my bets? Yes, by opting for a disc copy I can sell if I need to.