main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2021 Fanfiction Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , May 24, 2021.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I am still trying to figure out what I want to write. Leaning towards Narnia at the moment.

2. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I suspect that I (and possibly everyone else) may end up regretting this, but...

Sign me up for a SW Pentathlon featuring OC Vestri Dain and her merry band of Sentientologists/Scientists -- and one recording droid -- as they encounter various non-human cultures, some of which are pretty obscure (Fosh! Gozzo! Revwein! Vintians!). The stories may not all have myths, legends or tales in them, but we will at least be exploring more of the non-humans of the GFFA.

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I need this hooked up to my veins immediately. @amidalachick do you still have that machine running!?

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman So happy to hear you are signing up for this event this year![face_dancing]I absolutely understand not being able to join the fun last year because of real life busyness and stress, but I'm so glad you'll be participating this time! I agree that the stories produced for the Summer Olympics last year were awesome to read and gold for the "best character" and "best relationships" categories during the Fanfic Festival. I think we might see a similar crop of excellent stories emerge this year, which will amazing.

I'll put you down for the Pentathlon featuring the Rose Evergreen crew for now, and if you end up wanting to alter or add to that, just let me know, and I'll update the index:)

@Nehru_Amidala So happy that you are thinking of writing something Narnia related for the Olympics since it's one of my favorite fandoms:DShould I put you down for the idea we discussed in your PM? Maybe as a triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon?

@Seldes_Katne Wonderful to hear that you'll be participating in the Olympics as well![face_dancing]I'll add you to the index and can't wait to see what you come up with once the event starts!

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    All right, @devilinthedetails. Sign me up for a triathlon for The Rookie, encouragement by @Mira_Jade. Also, a pentathlon for The high Republic featuring Avar Kriss and Elzar Mann.

Oh, it's on! :D:p:confused:[face_nail_biting][face_laugh]8-}

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    General Thread Announcement: That I just started my new job today, so my schedule will probably be crazy for awhile. I will do my best to manage this thread in a timely fashion, but if I am slow to respond, that is why.

Which, I suppose makes all the events that I signed up for this Olympics even more insane to undertake, but I always knew I was crazy8-}

@brodiew Happy to have you aboard! I'll enter you into the index for The Rookie Triathlon and for the Avar Kris/Elzar Mann Pentathlon. I'm excited to see what you come up with for the Avar Kris/Elzar Mann Pentathlon in particular:D

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Apologies @devilinthedetails :oops: I miswrote -- I meant to sign up for a pentathlon. Fandom has not changed. :)

8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    What's this I see about you signing up for just a triathlon? [face_mischief] But, again, I am so happy to claim all of the blame. ;) [:D]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I just didn't wanna bite off more than I could chew. We'll see how it goes. [face_whistling]

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @devilinthedetails , Would you please update my Rookie triathlon to a pentathlon please?

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ha, SUCCESS!! ;) [:D]

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I see @Mira_Jade strikes again[face_laugh]

@brodiew I'd be happy to upgrade you to a Pentathlon for the Rookie:)

Lovely to see so many people embracing the spirit of the Fanfic Summer Olympics[face_dancing]

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I think I'll sign up to the Pentathlon for SW. Now I just need to work out who for. Do I pick Zallie and her siblings, or the mischief makers of Tara, Taeyn, Namia, Mace and Qui?

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_party] [face_dancing] Remembering the hilarity of "Dis Dress" I know the second would be a blastarama!

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kit' Happy to have you aboard for an SW Pentathlon! I'll update the index as soon as you know who you're writing about:)

17. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    @devilinthedetails, I think I'm going to have to ask you to move my entry into the decathlon category. There are a LOT of non-humans in the GFFA....

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'm not sure which part I'm participating in, or even which characters, but I keep getting drawn back here, so...

19. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    So... most of my attention is on writing Interregnum II, but these events are all reasonably short so none of them is too onerous. I'm not 100% sure what I want to write about, but I'm leaning towards something broad: "Luke Skywalker and the first of the new Jedi", focusing on the characters around Luke when he's getting the Jedi Order up and going (a slightly AU one, that is).

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Seldes_Katne Excellent! I've got you bumped up to a Decathlon now:)

@DaenaBenjen42 Glad that you keep getting drawn back to this event. There is still plenty of time decide who you want to write about and what event you want to participate in. Whenever you decide, just let me know, and I'll add you to the index:)

@Bel505 We'd be happy to have you aboard and writing something about Luke and the first of the New Jedi. When you decide what event you want to do, just give me a head's up in this thread, and I'll have you entered into the index:)

21. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I would like to use my Narnia and Star Wars fusion story "From Whence We Came" as a basis for entries under the Non Star Wars decathalon.

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A question about the 110-Word Hurdle: I know that the characters’ aren’t supposed to be mentioned in that one, but what about the title—can the relevant character’s name be used as the title of that segment? E.g., “Jane Doe” as the title of an 110-vignette about Jane Doe in which her name does not come up? Thanks! :)

23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I have a question... if it's a something/SW fusion, does it count as an NSW? I was under the impression, for the NSW forum, that there had to be no SW content...

...and I'll let you know, when my mind is made up. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Any and all SW crossovers need to be posted on the SW side of the forums, you're correct! If there is a SW element in a NSW story, we can take that on a case by case basis. But, if there's any substantial SW content it really needs to be included on the SW side of things. We don't like to deviate from that to keep things organized.

So, @Nehru_Amidala, if your Narnia entry has any more SW content than what we discussed in your current story, it may be time to move things over to the SW side of the forums. Which we are more than happy to do for you. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Excellent! I'll add you to the index:D

Right now, I have you down for Non-Star Wars but if your story does end up moving to the Star Wars section and you want to switch it to a Star Wars Decathlon, just let me know, and I can change it in the index with no problem.

Good question that I think has never come up before!:D I tend to see titles as being outside the requirements of a particular challenge (i.e., I don't require that people include the title when calculating the word count) so I think it is acceptable to have a title that includes the name of your character or characters. So if you are writing about Jane Doe, you can have the title be "Jane Doe" or "Jane Doe's Epic Adventure" as long as in the body of the 110 Word Hurdle the name Jane Doe doesn't appear. And I definitely encourage people being clever and creative with their use of titles especially when word counts can be so small and so much story has to be crammed in! ;)