main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Exactly. Shaxx, Saladbar and Saint all get together and agree to bar any Darkness be barred from the arenas they officiate. Saladbar and Saint would be perfectly happy because Saladbar is a ******* Light zealot and Saint has had his share of rogue Guardians murdering others in the Trials. Shaxx being Shaxx might acquiesce to bar it only in his Glory/Comp arenas. And that's that. In game explanation to curtail or mostly bar Stasis in Crucible, one that most players - especially the sweaty and oh so whiny "content creator" crows might easily get behind.

solojones likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh Maya -- I mean Lakshmi-2...you are REALLY asking for reset #3 at this point.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, returned to Destiny 2. Booted up the Lost Splicer mission, enjoyed it quite a bit and then....

Then some halfwit of a developer, who for this idiotic section deserves to have their private parts hammered with a cheese grater, decided that this mission absolutely needed a timed, disappearing platforms, first person jumping sequence!

After three attempts I went with "**** it" and aborted the entire thing and returned to orbit. **** like this destroyed both Forsaken and Shadowfall completely - there's some great world design, OK new enemies, but the quest structure is awful - and I am not giving Bungie any more cash. bull**** like this only adds to the feeling they take the mick.

They have something really, really good in the core gun gameplay but they just can't help ******* it up. I was shooting loads of stuff, the guns felt right, it looked and sounded great - sure, the boss tactic of "I will spawn numerous enemies all around you" is crap, but that seems to be the only trick bosses have. An actual one-on-one fight? Nah. Or if it is, it'll be a load of restricted respawn endurance fight bull**** - and then they decide to put in that idiotic sequence...

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Do you mean the jumping section in Expunge? You can use upgrades on your seasonal item (the Splicer Gauntlet) to unlock permanent platforms and extra gravity cannons that means you don't have to worry about the disappearing platforms at all. It's the ones on the far left side. Maybe it's because I've got so many hours in the game, but I didn't find the disappearing platforms all that hard.

And if you think this is bad, it's a good job you never tried the first Destiny which didn't even have mantling.

I had my first try of the Vault of Glass yesterday. It's a really fun experience. Got up to Atheon's room, but didn't get to Atheon itself. Sadly no Fatebringer (yet), but hopefully I'll get one from the last two encounters. Once cross play is a thing then we'll need to get folks on here together to try some raids/dungeons/nightfalls.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Would that be the seasonal item you have to complete the quest to get or do I have it, but the game kept very quiet about it?

6. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Ooh, I'm not sure. I think you get it after you complete the first mission with Mithraks, but it's been a while since I played it so I'm not 100% sure. It'll be in your quest log, it's called the Splicer Gauntlet.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Every seasonal questline gives you an artifact of sorts tied to the seasonal activity. In this case, the Splicer Gauntlet. As you do repeat runs of the Override missions, you get data fragments that let you upgrade the artifact at the Servitor in the H.E.L.M. Some of those upgrades provide shortcuts and platforms for both override and Expunge.

That said, disappearing platforms in Vex related activities go all the way to D1 and Vault of Glass so...I mean...is this really so upsetting?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For those who find first person platforming a pain in the arse, yes it is. Nor did I play D1.

Put it this way - it took a fun opening level, then after it's big climatic boss fight, stuck it in a blender, pureed anything that was good about it to mush and rendered my interest in playing anything of the Splicer content zero. It was so damn awful that I had to give up all progress because of that idiot decision to go for the crudest of obstacles. So yeah, good job!

Outside of that - Did a couple of Lost Sectors on Europa that reminded me of what D2 has going for it, lots of good shooting - with one of them being this epic roving battle with a Hydra.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Platforming in Destiny is really not as catastrophic as you make it out to be. Especially when you can equip a sword and switch to third person view. That trick goes all the way back to D1.

I sense tho that you burned yourself out on Destiny some time ago...

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    More like Destiny 2 poured a load of petrol over itself and lit a match.

I like the sword suggestion but why should I have to do that? It isn't that intuitive a solution.

There have been other platforming sections that I was OK with. This new one? It was timed, with disappearing platforms and too many instant death mechanics.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The upgrades to the gauntlet considerably reduce the environmental hazards and provide shortcuts, perma platforms and man cannons. But, you gotta grind them out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd have to get it in the first place but that means doing that accursed platforming crap.

D2 feels like it's caught between new and old players, players like you, who know all the tricks and want more difficult stuff because you've cracked everything else; where I want that easier content.

Red War was a great intro campaign, pity they vaulted it. (Osiris and Warmind weren't bad either.) Forsaken started spectacularly well, then got blown up by the Mad Bomber.

13. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Do you want me to just handhold you through it? Whisper it quietly, but I'm actually Pretty Good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Short of you playing that bit for me, nothing's going to work. I know what I have to do, I get the theory, the problem is the execution.

Or were you referring to the Bomber? Because that could be fun.

15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Take your pick. I've unlocked all the upgrades on the gauntlet and solo them easily enough so I can pull any passengers along.

Not done the Bomber in a long time, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Remind me please, your PSN ID is?

17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Jase-ofSpades.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, I might be a bit.... distracted, to take you up on your offer immediately. There's a major game inbound.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm not saying I'm a crack pve or pvp god - because I'm absolutely not - but easy casual-friendly content nearly killed this game at launch. So yes, many of us do like a bit of challenge in a game that usually offers very little in that regard. The Expunge mission speedruns are a good example of that and they are quite doable if you have the upgrades and know what to do. I like running raids and NFs too and this is me being a usually solo player that puts up with LFG just to get 'em done.

Maybe it is because I main a Hunter but platforming in game has never been that problematic to me. I can't say the same in regards to playing Titan (where I usually overshoot my leaps) or Warlock (where I usually fail my floofs). What class do you usually play? Does going third person using a sword help you at all?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's the thing though, don't you already have that harder content now - raids, nightfall, probably some others too?

Will give the sword trick a go.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ben, I will absolutely get you through this mission in under ten minutes if you want. I have done it a number of times including just today. And it WILL pull you once I get to certain checkpoints. I am happy to help if you'd like.

Btw it's timed but that's only for the achievement and bright dust. You don't actually have to do it under ten minutes.

22. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, my first run took me 25 minutes. Now I get annoyed if it takes me more than 10. The upgrades you get from the seasonal item make it so much easier, even giving you these bright green platforms that don't disappear so you have something solid to aim for.

This season has also had the strongest seasonal content they've ever done. It's tying up some loose ends, makes good use of the voice cast and drives us towards The Witch Queen. I think/hope that next season we also get more on the Dreaming City. It's my favourite destination and what happens this season should impact the curse there quite significantly.

solojones and Darth_Invidious like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's not timed? The bulk of it isn't, but that platforming bit has that red wall o' instant death chasing you. The sword trick may change it quite a bit, think I have used that previously but so infrequently or long ago I'd forgotten about it.

Would be great to do a team-up on Forsaken to hand the Mad Bomber his backside.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  24. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    That ******* red wall...

Yeah, that bit is annoying, but it's more timing than timed if that makes sense? It only took me to last week to realise that you can jump around the walls that slam down on the left and then get across to the ledge on the right in pretty much one go, at least on a Titan. So long as you don't get caught by the door that slams before the portal you don't need to worry about the red wall at all.

I'd love to go through Forsaken again. I'm doing Deep Stone Crypt tonight, but otherwise I'm free any time.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that sounds good, not sure when I'll be able to try it out as I've covid jab 2 this morning