main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    This.

Yeah, as much as the shrines in BOTW were cool, in a weird future tech sorta way, I'd love to go back to maze-like underground structures. The labyrinths in BOTW were the closest element to that, and wanted more of them.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I get it. Labyrinth style dungeons are fun and have been fun in previous Zelda games, so it's understandable why they're missed and desired in BOTW. Personally, I don't have fun getting lost in a confusing labyrinth dungeon. Sure, solving the Ice Temple in ALTTP and the Water Temple in OOT were rewarding, but at this point if you're a Zelda fan, you've played both dungeons so much that you don't really get lost anymore. You solve the puzzles, fight the enemies, collect the item, fight the boss, and move on to the next dungeon. Your internal GPS is always on for your beloved Zelda game.

IMO, I feel the developers took the best parts of each labyrinth style dungeon and separated them into the BOTW shrines. Want a mini boss style fight? Play the test of strength shrine. Like solving a puzzle? Play the puzzle solving shrine. Don't like the shrine you're currently in or having trouble solving it? Leave and warp back to it at anytime! It's the same concept of the very first LoZ game. What's this place? Oh it's dungeon 5. Oh crap, I just died and I keep dying. Maybe I need to leave and come back with more hearts, maybe the blue mail, and a stronger sword. How do I find those things? Explore more!

I love ALTTP but it's very dependent on doing things in a certain sequence. To play Turtle Rock you need the cane. Where's the cane? It's in the Swamp Palace. How do I get there? You need Titans Mitts and the Flute. Well how do I get those? Etc. Etc. The beauty of BOTW is the only required sequence is at the very beginning of the game then you're off the leash!

Would BOTW would have been more fun if they combined a couple shrines into one dungeon? Maybe, but since the game didn't have unique items like hook shot or iron boots, then a labyrinth style dungeon wasn't really needed or made sense for this game. And at this point, I would not trade any of the BOTW mechanics for a hook shot and iron boots to play a Wind Temple TWW style dungeon. [face_blush]

darthcaedus1138 and 3sm1r like this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Imo the divine beasts are an absolute masterpiece, arguably one of the best elements of the game.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I pretty much loathed the beasts, hard to work out how they worked, useless maps, crappy bosses.

FatBurt likes this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Come on the architecture of the elephant was pure brilliancy. When you have to move the proboscis of the right degree in order to switch the fire off...

So, now that I'm getting to the full completion of the game, I see where SJ was coming from when she was complaining about the lack of direction and plot.
    I am not particularly bothered by it and I don't see how it could have been done differently, but she has a point. I believe it's impossible to have both though. Either the plot is complex or you have freedom of exploration.

Imo a weakness of the game is the lack of proportionate reward for most quests. The side quests have been mostly disappointing to me. I mean once I defeated a whole group of trolls on horse and the reward was... a ******* carrot ? Seriously? And something analogous can be said of the shrines as well. Sometimes they require a decent amount of time dedicated to them, yet all they provide is a quarter of a heart.

Also, the Lynel should be given more emphasis. I'm not sure why the Hinox is considered at a higher hierarchical level with respect of the Lynels who are the strongest creatures in the game, including final bosses.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, not when you can't work out which bit connects where, how the map is to be read, where you are on it - they were a gooddamn mess and a pain in the arse.

I do agree on Lynels, those things are your Alpha enemy by far.

3sm1r likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'll agree on this, I understood that the map allowed me to make moves on the beast after 1 hour of wandering around inside the camel without purpose.

That said, I dunno maybe I'm biased by this being the only Zelda I've ever played but to me the way they handled the apparent forces when you start playing with the maps of the beasts was glorious.

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    And I'd add
    4) Get the Master Sword
    Check

Now, even though I'm still short 39 shrine, I do feel a sense of closure and fullfilment, which is very gpod.

Btw I haven't counted the number of hours I dedicated to the game and I surely don't want to know it lol

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's my most played Switch game at over 125 hours. (only counting the first playthrough, not the second, which was probably shorter)
    There's a decent amount that can give you really useful weapons or armor, but those lose value after you've already beaten the Blights and Ganon. Otherwise yeah some are just kinda fun and others are just kinda meh. Though again, the best two are where you help build an entire town and where you buy and renovate your own house.

Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    About the former, where the hell is the Goron whose name ends with son? I've been searching for him everywhere in Goron City!

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Agreed with both of you (though I would say it peaked with Ocarina of Time ;)).

I think for me, the writing was on the wall with the release and popularity of Age of Calamity. I hated the gameplay for the first Hyrule Warriors, so much so that I stopped playing and returned it to GameStop (something I’ve never done with a Zelda game). Regarding Breath of the Wild, I agree that it was a great game but not a good Zelda game. The story was particularly subpar, being told almost exclusively via flashbacks. I had no investment in any of the characters whatsoever.

And so when Age of Calamity released, which was a combination of these two gimmicks, it was like a wake up call for me. The Legend of Zelda series has moved on, without me. I’m no longer the target demographic for the games. The series is now appealing to a younger generation, who doesn’t want the straightforward formulaic and plot driven adventures that I craved. My favorite games in the series are Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and Twilight Princess (to give you an idea of the type of Zelda experience I prefer), but that style of game appears to be over now. The open-world colossus of Breath of the Wild is a genie that won’t likely be put back in the bottle.

And I’m not sure how I feel about that.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He's not in the city, he's in the Southern Mine, along with his little brother, who's name also conveniently ends in son. You can only recruit him at night when he's not working.

3sm1r likes this.
  13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Looking to get a pair of the Switch SS joycons. My left joycon stick sheared right off in my workbag.

Been watching Amazon for restocks, they took down the page a little while ago that said currently unavailable. If anyone wants some might be worth checking prime day. They’ve done this with lego sets before.

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I definitely prefer Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but I haven't played anything past the Gamecube one. (Wind Waker)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Rew likes this.
  15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    You owe it to yourself to at least play through Twilight Princess as well. Skyward Sword is pretty good too if you can get used to the controls (or just wait until the Switch version next month).

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Skyward Sword is the one major Zelda title that I’ve never played, because I chose to not buy the Wii-U system. I’ll definitely get it for Switch when it comes out.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A Link Between Worlds took an ideal solution as a half-way point alternative (and was almost certainly the first step towards the sequence breaking capabilities in BOTW). By allowing you to rent special items for dungeons, you were able to tackle them in any order since you didn't need to complete another dungeon to rent an item you needed to complete your current one. Marrying it to the ALTTP overworld map made the evolution that much clearer.

Though one could argue it's appealing to both a younger generation (who may have only played BOTW) and an older generation (who wanted the open world, sequence-breaking abilities of the original two games to which BOTW harkens back to). It's the middle generation (with the cycles of ALTTP/OOT imitators/successors) that may be left behind by that return, however.

Skyward Sword was for the Wii system, though you could play it on the Wii U since that system was backwards compatible with Wii games and tech.

TiniTinyTony , christophero30 and Rew like this.
  18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The GBC and GBA Zeldas are interesting. I own them but have only played them a few times. The Oracle games and Minish Cap.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I only started those games, but never got far into them. Need to circle back to them, eventually. Though, I suppose technically I've played some of one of the Oracles ina sideways manner, as one of them is sort of a remake of Zelda 1. Still, I'd welcome an LA Remake-style remake of those games.

Now, if only one of these days I could get unstuck wherever I am in Phantom Hourglass and free up my Zelda portable backlog a scoatch.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Interestingly, Oracle of Ages has the dubious honor of being my least favorite game in the entire Zelda main series--if for no other reason because of the bloody Goron Dance. Oracle of Seasons is alright though, and The Minish Cap is a genuine delight. Those games are hard as hell to get to 100% completion though, especially the Oracle games because the ring RNG mechanics.

That said, despite my antipathy toward Ages, I would love to see both Oracle games remade in the same fashion as Link's Awakening (like 2Q said above)--if for no other reason because maybe they'd fix the bloody Goron Dance. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know it wouldn't happen, but it'd be pretty incredible if they were able to somehow combine them into a single remake and include not only the crossover final ending content but the cancelled third game that would have remade Zelda II. But that would have to be a whole new game engine and art style to work, so that makes it highly unlikely unless it was a separate bonus game like Bowser's Fury.

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Link's Awakening is on sale for $40 right now. I love this game and own it for GameBoy and of course I bought it the DX version to play on GameBoy Color. Do I really pull the trigger and get it for Switch as well?

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, it's super fun. I never played the original version, but I know this one has a lot of updates, beyond the aesthetics.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yes. As great as the GB(C) versions are, the Switch version is not only downright gorgeous but comes with a bunch of quality of life improvements too. It’s well worth the cost to pick up this version (especially if it’s on sale!).

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I love the visual style they gave the game. Very faithful update while including QOL improvements. The new dungeon maker isn’t amazing but it’s harmless enough.