main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How come Leia never forgive her father (Anakin)?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 19, 2021.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    On Leia there is the implication she was still watching Ben after she died. She dies when Kylo is stabbed yet doesn’t fade into the force until Ben later does. That is why Maz is smiling - she knows they are both at peace and died fulfilled.

I liked the contrast to the TFA moment - “That saber, it belongs to me!”
    With Ben and Rey’s silent understanding of each other and Rey faking out Palpatine and sending the Skywalker saber to Ben.

Rey looked genuinely happy to see him after he revived her. And watch Driver’s performance - he looks so awe-struck, then contented. Then accepting. I know it isn’t what you wanted but he dies truly happy. And Rey looks confused when he starts to slump, then sad when she realises. They could have done more though I agree.

I would have liked Rey to really be a Skywalker sure.
    It was an interesting dramatic decision to have her a Palps descendant that rejects being Queen of the galaxy instead.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  2. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    You know, I can't have kids, but every mum I know wants their kids to live on after they are gone.

3. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Sigh.
    Maybe you are right. But Leia’s last act was to redeem Ben. And they would interact as force ghosts - hence their fading when their paths were complete.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  4. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    And that is why that ending is so peculiar - where WAS Ben Solo's FG?
    Ben/Kylo fans held on to the hope that he wasn't dead somehow, but I suspect the real reason is simply that Terrio only wanted the Twins and their surrogate daughter. Whatever, whether you love the character, or like most people here hate him, the fact is the way his character was completely shunned is frankly weird as heck. He was a major character throughout the entire ST, but post fading into the Force it was as if he had never existed. No mention to Rety's Acolytes. No mention that he'd 'turned good'. No FG.
    Luke cried for his father. He built him a funeral pyre. At the end his FG was seen reunited with Obi Wan and Yoda. Nothing like this for the last of the Skywalkers.

Was Rey the Magnificent's ego so huge there wasn't room for even a FG of Ben Solo? I'll never understand that, not in a million years.

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I can imagine that there was, at some point, an edit that featured Ben as a force ghost at the end. However, it may have even looked more ridiculously obvious that they'd killed off all the Skywalker's, if all 3 of them were to return as ghosts for the last shot. 'Hi... we're the Skywalker's, and we're all dead now...' So I can certainly believe it was shot but never used.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Ben Solo isn't really important to Rey deciding the name Skywalker.

Shadao, alwayslurking and 2Cleva like this.
  7. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Its great that Luke was able to turn Vader back to the light side of the force and he "killed" Palpatine, but that does not erase the nearly 2 decades of tyranny that Vader unleashed upon the galaxy. Nobody is required to forgive or excuse his actions..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dolphin and christophero30 like this.
  8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    And Han nowhere to be seen, like they’d left him in a ditch somewhere. The shot of Luke and Leia was frankly weird enough - the whole ending is just crazy. Kill them all, then go bury their lightsabers at the old homestead that Leia never lived at and Luke wanted to leave - and Rey had no relationship really with Luke - it only compounds all the problems with the ST.

9. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I thought this Force vision of Luke and Leia was strange. It was as if Disney believe that looking like Mouth & MacNeal for the end shot would be cool but it wasn't.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I certainly did not think they viewed her as their daughter. More like someone they trained whom they were proud of.

wobbits, alwayslurking and Sarge like this.
  11. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Yes, and it's interesting...as they are both Solos. And as I said, Terrio was only interested in the Twins.
    Han's appearance could have been as an actual 'ghost' - a spirit, not a FG. And they could have had a scene where there was a memorial service, there was a rumour about that post TFA, but it didn't come to anything.
    Fact is, the whole point of the ST was to erase the OT cast and replace them with Rey. And they did.

12. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Someone on SM said they looked like Mary and Joseph of Alabama and now I can't get that image out of my mind!
    @anakinfansince1983 ...It's not so much what we the audience think but what Terrio thought...and let's face it, REY is the Skywalker Who Rose.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Based on this article, the final scene is Rey looking at her mentors and vice versa. Not Luke and Leia gazing on their daughter (which would be pretty gross since they are siblings).

wobbits, alwayslurking and 2Cleva like this.
  14. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    I know but Terrio shipped them as a couple as a kid, I suspect it was a bit of sublime wish fulfilment!

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He can continue to ‘ship them if he wants to I guess, but I have seen nothing indicating that he intended the final scene with Rey to be Luke and Leia gazing at “their daughter.”

wobbits, alwayslurking and 2Cleva like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As much as I believe the sequels are really bad, I think it’s quite possible that Johnson/Abrams wanted to show Leia and Luke (specifically Leia) having maternal/paternal feelings towards Rey, without suggesting *inappropriate* relationships between Luke and Leia… although it’s now difficult to un-see that… :_|

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Did you not see Empire strikes Back? :p

ETA - Yes I think taking the name was a tribute to Leia and Luke as mentors and parents, and Han and Ben Solo because she formed bonds with them. And to reinforce anyone can be a hero, she was close to them in spirit.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Or read Splinter of the Mind's Eye?

Darth__Lobot and HevyDevy like this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm not advocating for Leia to forgive Anakin, I agree with most of what's been said here, but I do think that exploring the twins journey in discovering their parents history would be a very emotional story. Claudia Gray really cemented the idea in my brain at the end of Bloodline when Leia begins to wonder what made Anakin turn.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'd love to see another book from Claudia Gray exploring what went on with Leia after Bloodline. Maybe she can learn more about the circumstances of Anakin's fall in it. I think Claudia Gray does a great job writing Leia.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Me and my sister did not like the twin reveal in ROTJ in 83. It felt like a retcon, even though I didn't even know that word.

22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I wasn’t alive for that, but it is perplexing. It works in the end but it adds some originally unintended additional grimness to her interactions with Vader. I mean he tortures her in 4, emotionally tortures her in 5, and threatens to turn her instead of Luke in 6. It is kinda messed up.

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    You know, I've gotten some entertainment out of all the stuff that has come out since ROTJ in varying degrees... but looking back I do sometimes think that maybe they should have just stopped with ROTJ. You can totally see that's where a lot of the stuff that is "divisive" in SW fan land started.

PendragonM and christophero30 like this.
  24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I wish I could adequately put into words what it meant for me as a little girl to realize in that moment that Leia could be a powerful Jedi just like her brother and father. She was already my favorite character but imagining her with a lightsaber, doing all the things Luke could do just with her confident attitude...I was so excited. I was disappointed with Lucas for never letting it happen, but the ST trying to override him and make her a Jedi all of a sudden was worse.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It had more to do with the fact that they kissed on the mouth the film before, and its obvious Luke is attracted to her in ANH.