main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Did they actually "switch"? I have seen posters or ads for Raiders long before I saw the movie. And that "comic book style" appeared on those long before TOD.
    [​IMG]
    So actually TOD went back to the roots by using its poster logo type title in the movie. TOD is the only movie in the series that uses the poster style title. I think it looks really good, and like the fact that the title is actually behind the singer, so we don't see all of it but of course we all know what it says. I find that effect to be rather imaginative.
    The Raiders title looks pretty common and ordinary.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    oierem and christophero30 like this.
  2. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I am really glad Spielberg is no longer directing Indy. I honestly don't think Spielberg is capable of directing a good Indy film anymore. A lot of the baffling choices in Skull were made by him and his writer (Lucas gets too bad a wrap for the problems of Skull - read the Rinzler making of indiana jones book which makes this more clear).

3. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Yeah, I had seen it on the posters, but TOD was the first to use it in the titles, and it works beautifully. You are right about the wrap-around effect behind Willie, because again, it evokes the idea that this is a pulp comic book come to life. Comic book characters are often drawn stood in front of the titles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I don't know that Raiders poster is pretty iconic. I bugged my parents for months after seeing that to take me to see it.

Sith Lord 2015 and bb8isno1 like this.
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    When I first saw the poster I thought it was some Western-type movie [face_laugh]

christophero30 likes this.
  6. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    The Raiders artwork was the one of big sells for my mum and dad hiring Raiders out on rental when it first appeared they were like wow another Harrison Ford film as they were Star Wars fans

7. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    It's interesting how TOD is the only film of the series that used the comic book-style font in the opening titles. It'd be a cool surprise if Indy 5 did the same. I'd love for Indy 5 to be something dark and intense like TOD was and also having a similarly pulpy style.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Dan Aykroyd could've had a bit larger role in the film aside from his blink and you'd miss 18-second cameo. I think Club Obi Wan scenes are some of the best of Indiana.

9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love the Club Obi Wan scenes. I think the "anything goes" approach threw some people off back in the day but for me its a roller coaster amusement park ride.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  10. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I think in a way the opening throws you off for how dark the rest of the movie is. It's interesting how TOD is so dark and foreboding during the middle, but gets lighter during the first and third acts.

11. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    It's meant to be that way. It's not really a role but a cameo. I never noticed him myself, with his face in the dark and British accent. I think most people didn't notice Lucas in ROTS either. Spielberg is in Gremlins for half a second, short but still recognizable. Isn't that teacher in E.T. played by Ford? We only see his back and his voice sounds different too. He's not credited either.

12. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Again, the brilliance of John Williams and his ability to tap into genres and make music fit perfectly is just without equal. The arrangement of that opening number, and how it starts with the horns and choral voices first just immediately drags you into the picture. You’re invested straight away. It just screams 1930’s adventure.

13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    It seems with TOD Spielberg and co. really tried to replicate the vintage adventure serials and pulp comics as much as possible. They definitely succeeded in my book. It really has the feel of a vintage 1930s or 40s pulp comic come to life, or even that of a 1950s-era EC Horror comic like Tales From The Crypt. I don't know if Spielberg and/or Lucas ever grew up being a fan of EC Comics but TOD has that flare going for it.

14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Speaking of Tales From The Crypt, Short Round himself was actually in a TFTC episode, Undertaking Palor from Season 3. One of my favorite episodes of that show. Useless but cool trivia :p

I do wonder if Spielberg and/or Lucas grew up being fans of the EC Horror comics of the 50s. Definitely seems like TOD had that EC Comics thing going for it, between it's more Horror-oriented tone and also the use of colors and lighting in certain shots. You'd swear a lot of the old EC comics were used as storyboards for some shots.

15. Julie Carli

Julie Carli Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2021
    Hey there TOD fans! I'm a podcast producer with a history show about to be released on Gimlet in early June. For one of the episodes, we will be looking at how the PG-13 rating came about. As you are all probably aware, TOD "inspired" the rating when it came out in 1984. That being said, we are interested in speaking to people that saw the film in theaters when it was first released. Great storytellers welcome! Feel free to reach me at julie@zspmedia.com. Hold on to your potatoes -- we're in for a fun ride :)

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Just rewatched this and noticed some neat foreshadowing in the opening:
    [​IMG]

Neat little reference to the heart removal scenes later in the movie, using the ribbons to symbolise the blood or fire :)

17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I never caught that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Never even noticed that but good catch.

19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    That's a big if.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just happened to notice it - Daily Mail had him mentioned in the historical birthday section.

23. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Let’s wish him happy birthday anyway
    [​IMG]

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  24. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    You are in a position, unsuitable to give orders! [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  25. Blobofat