main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Ronin novel - all spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PimpBacca, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Attaching two screencaps -- I really like that Dug's ride...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SW.com article: Anime Expo Lite: 20 Things We Learned from the Star Wars: Visions Panel
    Yaaas, Jaxxon haters in shambles [face_devil] Keep more wascally wabbit species coming just to piss them off, please [face_whistling]

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

But is it canon :p

kidding kidding

this looks amazing! This is fantastic

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Trigger, Production IG, Kinema Citrus. There’s a good anime pedigree working on this.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Apparently the studios were told they didn't have to worry about canon. Not to say none of it could be.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    just head canon them to be,

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  6. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    It's all canon to me, baby. XD

Honestly, I was having kinda a rough day but this video put a big whole smile on my face. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    VexedAtVohai likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

It is canon.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  8. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Meh. Being prescriptive about the use of the word "canon" is pointless. That ship has sailed, people use it wrongly.

---

I'm particularly interested in The Ninth Jedi. I hope that it is what Ronin is based on.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It seems the ninth jedi might be out first look at old republic.

10. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Good. Get right into it, no ceremony about it.

11. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Or seven..? ;););)

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Some tweets from the panel

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2021
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Hey look a tweet from yours truly cuz...Of course I did

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And a very accurate profile of you is your Twiiter summary Jid. ;)

Just watched the trailer, this is looking very, very good.

AusStig likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have a great Animatrix vibe here!

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/ronin-star-wars-visions
    [​IMG]

Star Wars: Ronin: A Visions Novel by Emma Mieko Candon, coming October 12, will expand on the world of The Duel, telling the story of a former, unnamed Sith — known only as Ronin, i.e., a wandering samurai — as he travels the galaxy. According to James Waugh of the Lucasfilm Story Group and executive producer of Star Wars: Visions, there was just too much left to explore in Mizuno’s vision (for lack of better term) to stop with one tale. “Out of all the shorts, The Duel felt most rife for an ongoing story in a novel. Another one of Ronin’s adventures. One of the things I always loved about the short was that it was clear there was a larger history at play. That this wasn’t the first adventure this warrior had been through and it certainly won’t be their last. What are those stories?” Waugh tells StarWars.com. “The team at Kamikaze Douga were very generous in obliging our interest in continuing the storytelling and had a ton of ideas to lend in the creative process. Visions allows us to explore Star Wars expressed in new ways. And this book is unlike anything we’ve done before.”

With Ronin, Candon will be taking their first steps into Star Wars. It’s a unique opportunity, even by Star Wars standards. “I’ve dreamed of contributing to the Star Wars mythos since I started writing in earnest, but I never imagined I’d be able to do so from such a personal angle,” Candon says. “In that sense, Visions — and Ronin in specific — has been a gift, both as a fan and as a creator.” As Candon builds upon the groundwork of The Duel, they looked to specific influences that have informed both Star Wars and anime.

“In brief, jidaigeki [period dramas], Japanese monsters and folklore, and war trauma” inspired Ronin, Candon says. “The Duel is very much in conversation with period dramas a la [Akira] Kurosawa, while the latter two felt like natural Japanese extensions of the ‘Star’ and ‘Wars’ parts of Star Wars. Jidaigeki love samurai as protagonists because they’re suspicious of samurai as a class, and our Ronin falls right into that trope. I had to ask how this man rejected (or was rejected by) his social role, and why he continues to cleave to it. Why does he still carry that tell-tale red blade? And why does he hunt his own?”

While Ronin looks to be a character study though The Duel’s singular lens, it’s also something else. Ronin will reflect parts of Candon’s own story, as well. “A Star Wars movie made me ‘get’ representation, and I’ve tried to honor that feeling in this book for my own sake and for other people,” Candon says. “Besides being Japanese, I’m also a chronically ill, queer cyborg, and all of that showed up in some regard.”

And that ethos is reflective of the spirit or Star Wars: Visions: putting one’s own spin, and self, on and into Star Wars.

“I love that Visions as a whole is a grand recursive experiment. A fairy tale of a fairy tale. A myth built upon modern mythology,” Candon says. “Also, I think that sometimes I was funny!”

Read the official synopsis for Ronin below!

Star Wars: Ronin: A Visions Novel arrives October 12 and is available for pre-order now.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I can't believe he had the gall to say "One of the things I always loved about the short." That marketing technique may work generally for this franchise about a film from the 70s, but it's stretching believability to say it about something that may not even be completely finished.

But that's just me being grumpy - this seems cool, I'm into it!

JediFett10 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, so definitely not post-ST then. And probably not canon unless the origins of the sith are very, very different in canon.

Interesting premise all the same, turning the whole jedi-sith conflict up on its head. I am looking forward to it.

20. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    The summary of Jedi and Sith in this novel feels more like how I imagined the Jedi to be in the Old Republic based on just the OT prior to the PT's release.

AusStig, MercenaryAce and Daneira like this.
  21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    @Sinrebirth will find a way to make it fit.

JediFett10, Huncrweo, cdgodin and 6 others like this.
  22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It works after a fashion in the Pius Dea era, but being as I half expect ToR to end with the Republic becoming an Empire it may even work there later.

This is such an amazing breakdown of the founding of the Sith in Canon. Jedi serving the Empire made my eyes much widen.

24. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    For being somewhat constrained in being able to drive original Star Wars content since the Disney purchase, Del Rey sure is finding ways to flex.

Golbolco, Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So, whatever this means. I must say, I love this description. However, in terms of canon, I can see this being like the Myths and Fables book.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2021
    Dream-Thinker likes this.