main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Sj was right. This game is very tough for those who like me are not used to rpg.
    So far I only managed to use the magnets in the first shrine, but then the old man told ne there are other two and I can't see them.
    It's also interesting how all the characters I've met so far are just called old man and they look the same.

solojones likes this.
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have finally taken all the orbits and -spoiler- the mysterious old man is about to reveal his identity.

It's 1:16 am here (real world, not in Zelda's time zone)

solojones likes this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Spoiler Zelda

The shrine in which you have to force the ball to go into the hole using ice cubes was rather cool.

I find fighting rather difficult, I struggle to synchronize with the focus button.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The biggest challenge at the start is weapon durability.

You have a fight and 1 , 2, 3, 4, boom - weapon breaks; you switch, 1, 2, 3, weapon go bye, bye; again, 1,2 - seriously? - then you have a good one but you don't use it.

Oh yeah, one other tip, you won't see them for a while but, if you ever see a Lynel, run! They're harder than the game's bosses.

Nobody145, solojones and 3sm1r like this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I think it was the weapon bit that did for me. I don't have an issue as such with durability but let me fix the damn thing.

Also the whole Master Sword thing is just annoying

Rew and 3sm1r like this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Agreed, the possibility to repair them with the proper instruments would have been useful. And IMO there are weapons that last a bit too shortly even from a realistic pov.

So far the most challenging moment was for the cold, in order to get to the shrine in which the King gives you warmer clothes. thankfully the shrine could be reached without the need of climbing so I could just move holding the torche.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't know what the answer is but environmental effects should be more than "watch this meter reduce".

FatBurt and 3sm1r like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it has its upsides and downsides. The exploration on the one hand is fun because you discover all the things you can do.. but yeah, I'm not surprised it'll take a while to figure out what you're supposed to do.

The weapon durability thing is soooo dumb..mostly because as you said it's not realistic.

Rew, Jedi Ben and 3sm1r like this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    When you have to oscillate the Nintendo Switch in order to have the ball ready, then fly inside the platform and use the kinetic energy rune to give the ball the final kick is pure genius. I'd like to have a beer with whomever had the idea just to tell them "you are ******* brilliant".

That alone justifies the hours I spent playing. Just awesome.

Reynar_Tedros and solojones like this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep, that's the brilliance and great part of that game. The exploration and finding out what you can do with the powers.

I just wish the game had more story since I love that in games.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I don’t know, I think more story would’ve only detracted from the brilliance of the open world and the freedom it gives you. I would’ve hated to feel railroaded, even unintentionally, by more story.

The cutscenes after the Divine Beasts and the flashbacks that gave them more context were perfect for me. Zelda, Link, and the Champions were more memorable in the brief time we saw them than many, many characters are in story focused games full of cutscenes and dialogue.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, the simplicity of the plot in this case was necessary in order to have freedom. The problem of the plot is that it inevitably constrain what the character can do at a given moment.

(Spoiler)
    I have encountered overpowered opponents several time at this point, including a Centaurus that froze me to death, and that's ok, I can choose my destiny.

I used the ice cube to go to the island, just to find myself with no clothes in the middle of a huge storm. Ups!

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd like to direct the specific BOTW playthrough commentary/discussion to continue in the main Zelda thread at this point. That way this thread can better serve general news, recommendations and games that don't have their own dedicated thread.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    3sm1r likes this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok, I was avoiding that thread in order not to be spoilered too much. I'll wait till I get closer to finish the game before posting.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Unless you dive into past posts, I don't think anyone would respond to your posts with spoiler info- at least it'd be no more likely than it would be in here.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo shadow-dropped the Switch OLED announcement 13 minutes ago. No big deal, just another Tuesday morning...

Hits 10/8, $349.99 for the set (B&W or R/B joycons). Larger screen, 64GB internal storage, wide kickstand with multi-position angles, wired LAN port on Dock.

So, it's more like a "Switch XL" than a "New Switch" or "New Switch XL" or "Switch Pro".

Video also depicts a realistic rendition of online play, where if you are playing against someone in Japan, you will lose.

EDIT- And it looks like they're making sure you can easily tell the different models apart by making the box square (or slightly vertical, versus the full-horizontal of the current models):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That’s a solid feature suite for a mid-life revision.

Now please, for the love of god, everyone shut up about a “Switch Pro.”

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    • Wide Adjustable stand
      • only matters to those that portably
    • Enhanced audio
      • again only matters to those that portably
    • Wired LAN port
      • plug it in, plug it in, our network sucks wirelessly

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Of course they would announce this after E3. Whenever their next Direct is will probably cover this more too (I expect a Pokemon bundle later on too). And yeah, hopefully that'll put the rumors to rest (for a while anyway).

So that'll probably be another high demand item this holiday season. At least this one I won't mind skipping, I keep my Switch docked all the time anyway. That built in LAN port looks nice, though I just used an Ethernet USB adapter before anyway.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically, it's for those who play portable or in an undocked mode at home. Think certain Mario Party modes or 1-2-3-Switch or possibly even Ring Fit and other such scenarios. Less common, but still applicable- don't have to worry about being too rough with it since the current one feels a little flimsy.

And i think having the kickstand be sturdier benefits everyone who uses more than 1 SD card (as I have just expanded to and now must begin juggling/sorting titles).

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Good enough for me! Now let's see if I can actually get one.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been playing Skyrim on mine as of the last few days. I had this grand plan to play all the Zelda games that have been released on it (along with my 3DS) but I'm sad that it's sounding more and more likely they're not remastering Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for the Switch.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If your goal is to play the most Zelda games possible, you should consider trying to grab a used Wii U. It was a Zelda beast. Outside of the 3DS games (which you have covered), LA Remake and Cadence of Hyrule, you have access to pretty much every Zelda game on that platform.

Rew likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Oh, I missed that the OLED screen is 0.8 inches larger than the original. [6.2" vs 7"]

So again, this new system seems to be targeted at those that play on the go or undocked at home. If you're playing on your OLED TV, then it really doesn't matter as far as I can tell.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The big thing for TV play is the built-in wired internet (which is admittedly mostly for a somewhat specific slice of the audience) and obviously everyone benefits from larger built-in memory (64 GB vs 32). If there's anything interesting under the hood, Nintendo is mum in their press releases.

However, my somewhat off-the-wall guess is that this might be a revision of necessity, the story about the original Switch's screen has long been that it's so comedically out-of-date that there was pressure from the manufacturers to go with something newer.

TiniTinyTony likes this.