main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Ronin novel - all spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PimpBacca, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sinrebirth @Sauron_18

HOLY MOLY! This is based off of Lucas old ideas were Jedi were like Emperors bodyguards!

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I think the note about this being based on an "alternate history" of the Jedi vs. Sith conflict is enough to conclude this is definitely non-canon. The Canonicity Rule of Thumb probably also applies here: if Lucasfilm (or in this case Del Rey) will not provide a direct yes or no answer to the "is it canon?" question, the answer is "no."

Still looks fascinating, though. Like the Mandalorian and westerns, it looks like this project is all about celebrating another of Star Wars' major influences and I am entirely on board.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Wacky:

Senpezeco and CooperTFN like this.
  4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Meh.....

I’m not really a big fan of another non-canon universe being created.

I would much prefer if we were getting an Old Republic, or even Pre-Republic setting. Instead time/money is being wasted on something that has no impact upon the Jedi and Sith history.

If it had to be non-canon, I would have preferred Star Wars Visions and Ronin to be in the Legends timeline.

chrcharcor2 and iFrankenstein like this.
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The whole idea was that the people making the cartoons didn't have to worry about continuity. Making it part of the old continuity would be just as restricting as making it canon, if not more so.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Definitely more so knowing Legends!

Dream-Thinker and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So how do we One Canon this? @Sinrebirth given there is now a third continuity or several more with Visions that are unlike Infinities set in various eras and probably some are placeable if not going too out there.

But I love the novel idea using Lucas old OT conepts and transferring them to the distant past and the first great Jedi shism. Makes me wonder if one can use asian Xendor and Arden Lyn in those ideas...

unless it is more recent set than we think if tied to the Twins episode that features X-Wings and Stardestroyers! then we may either imply it is new generation x-wings and destroyers and place it right after Legacy!!! That'd be fun! Kinda bridging Legacy to The Star Wars, eh?

Though, if the fighters and cruisers are just general design language one might place it in the past still as even TOR and KOTOR had stardestroyer esque vessels. Maybe post TOR or early NSW shism?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    MercenaryAce and Golbolco like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm quietly confident that I can handle anything. wink

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You should know better by now Cole

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    if we need too theres always the explanation of the storm trooper armour being based on the armour that they found from the troopers that splendid ap zapp

Golbolco likes this.
  11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I’m still trying to find my jaw from when I dropped it earlier. I’m SO excited for this.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sadly the canonicty of it is up in the air (Not that i mind since Visions looks epic) so I am curious if this will be part of whatever "The Main Lore" of Star Wars will go for when it time to get something more "Official"

Personally I hope so since I kinda like the idea of using old Lucas ideas for newer era's.

13. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I don’t know much about the studios involved, but almost any time there’s an anthology like this series at least one episode is a backdoor pilot.

Given that The Duel already has a novel announced, I don’t think it’ll be long until a series is in production and the world of Ronin gets significant expansion. Even if it’s not canon right now (who cares?) it’ll probably get slowly integrated into continuity and become a launch point for a whole new multimedia project.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  14. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    I’d they’re publishing full AU novels now might as well dust off Escape from Dagu, the lost masterpiece everyone has been clamoring for for 20 years.

15. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I don’t the care if future expanded universe projects are told to consider this canon or not. Using the Jedi warriors of the Empire from the early draft as the basis for the setting thousands of years ago and an explanation of the Sith schism is genius,

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well...They did say this

AusStig likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just give us a SW Multiverse and be done with it.

Sith Iratus likes this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    They might if the essential legends stuff sells well.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping.

AusStig likes this.
  20. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Now that would be fascinating.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wait, so The Duel is linked to Ronin?

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Isn’t this de facto the case anyway? I mean apart from it not being ‘offical policy’ is there anything that’s suggests it’s not the case anyway?

24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    A what-if story implies taking an established or known plot point of a story, and deliberating telling a tale of the opposite happening. "Han Solo doesn't save Luke at The Battle of Yavin, and Vader stops him from blowing up the Death Star." is a what if story. "Qui-Gon survives the duel with Maul in TPM" is a what if story.

Ronin is not a "what-if" story because the plot has not been designed around that sort of conceit. Original characters, original plot, original story.

25. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    This happened in SW infinities with the OT
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dream-Thinker likes this.