main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Switzerland's a large portion of military weapons, unlike the US which isn't. I'm not sure how one brings up Switzerland in a paragraph discussing first world democracies not needing military grade weapons in that context since it's arming the militia that has played such a big role in Swiss households having guns. It seems, for example, that because of the militia activity in Switzerland, one of the common guns is the SG 550, which is listed as an assault rifle. Assault rifles are comparatively rare in the US, however.

blackmyron likes this.
  2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    @anakinfansince1983 - yes, it is true that a military grade weapon is entirely unnecessary for home defense. They are arguably a terrible choice. Too long range, many are not as accurate as you’d want and they have more of chance of failure due to more complicated firing systems.

Good point about respecting the weapons. Very important. Responsible gun owners do just that. I consider myself one. They are locked up when not in use, are always treated as loaded and never get handled if alcohol is possibly on the menu. To me, gun ownership is a privilege that you earn.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Mike just declared that he doesn’t care for the Second Amendment ;)

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I think he's just trying to charm a certain someone.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, that is what it should be. Unfortunately DC v Heller in 2008 indicated the opposite—that US citizens have the right to own a gun and a choice about whether they want to be responsible about it. That case specifically shot down a law to keep guns unloaded and ammo separate in the home as “unconstitutional” and limited laws that states put in place regulating gun ownership.

Nobody145, Juliet316, Lordban and 2 others like this.
  6. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    "shot down" lol. Nice.

Juliet316, Lordban, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was unintentional. [face_laugh]

I need more coffee…

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Disgusting behavior by Remington towards these families:

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If you give law-abiding citizens the power to commit murder, how long are they going to remain law-abiding citizens? Crime happens when a person has the willingness and the ability to carry it out. Allowing everybody to have guns gives them one half of that equation. So I mean, why should we trust the average person with the power to kill? We've been doing this for years and the results speak for themselves...America has by far the most gun violence of any developed country, and more than many developing countries as well. Stricter gun laws aren't just "feel good" policies, they've been tried elsewhere, and they've been successful in reducing gun violence.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    FatBurt, Rew, blackmyron and 5 others like this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Exactly. Nobody is born a criminal. Everybody is a law-abiding citizen until they decide to commit their first crime. I'd rather they didn't have a gun ready to use when they do that - wouldn't you, Mike?

Or perhaps you have a crystal ball that allows you to determine which law-abiding citizen who gets a gun remains a law-abiding citizen, and who becomes a criminal... [face_dunno]

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's not murder when that guy was looking at me funny, I feared for my life - and that little old lady, if looks could kill, she had to go too, not to mention that psychopath kitten....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Also, it's not murder if it's a kitten.

13. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    In a free society, anyone has the "power" to commit murder. Plenty of murders happen without guns. How long is someone going to remain law abiding? Until they break a law. What kind of question is that or how am I supposed to answer? Maybe we should ban cars and alcohol since at "any given moment, someone could drink and drive". And why should we trust anyone with anything? What is the average person to you? You OK with elites having bodyguards, guns, personal security, etc? Oh and is anyone doing anything about the gang bangers and hoodlums that have guns? Can we put them in jail or something like that? Nah, they just cruise through the system and get out because of sissy judges and toothless laws/sentences. Check the huge ramp up in violence and shootings in cities everywhere for current trends. All with guns that I guarantee are NOT registered or were bought legally. That’s a people problem, not a gun problem.

Ive been in support of various stricter gun laws here too. There are things we can and should do which have been discussed at length. Many of them are common sense and can help without taking guns away from people that have earned the right to own them. What’s your desire here? Just confiscate them all? Ban them?

Crystal ball? Wish I did, I’d have won multiple lotteries and wouldn’t be here yapping with you people. I’d be on my yacht or whatever. :).

I’d actually rather people not decide to be criminals. Then, any and all crime would go away, wouldn’t it? I’d rather guns remain legal to own provided you are worthy of ownership. As I said above, we can’t just ban things because of what "could" happen. My drinking and driving example above is a good one. Think of the lives saved if we just preemptively removed everything possibly dangerous from society. I’ve made it clear I’m in favor of stronger requirements to own guns along with various limitations and other sensible things. But any outright ban or confiscation is out of the question.

This is a low effort post, at best. Oh and a crazy cat? Blow it to pieces…..:D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Sounds like sanctions against Remington are in order.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'll have you know Mike the sarcasm in that post was a refined, triple distilled Single Malt! Low effort, my arse.

FatBurt likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not sure how much could be done since Remington is in bankruptcy.

Hey, now, kittens know how to use guns too!

(as well as lightsabers).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Then summary judgement, if possible.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, as you have no data but said to check the trend in shootings in cities everywhere. So I checked the trend in a city somewhere... New York City, to be precise. Shootings have dropped significantly from last year:
    https://abc7ny.com/new-york-city-crime-nyc-shootings-murders-statistics/10865179/

And what's your source on all guns used in crimes weren't bought legally?

What have you ever done to have *earned* the right to own them?

What makes you worthy? Just a few days ago you were talking about how much you were looking forward to breaking laws relating to explosives. So how, specifically, are you 'worthy'? You never answer this, it always falls on subjective things.

That was not a good one, as you're missing the core of this being a weighing pros and cons, with the contention being "no sufficient pros" and your failing to come up with any. Which is not surprising given how easily you shift into gun grabbing.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And, as I’ve stated on many occasions, guns make it far easier to act on the desire to commit murder
    We…already have that now..?

And as has already been said, multiple times, we need to tackle the issues which provide fertile ground for “gang bangers and hoodlums” to exist. Not as “sexy” as throwing them in jail, but…

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If they really need them, then yes.
    No.
    Again, if really needed.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Something of note. I doubt when Jeff Bezos hires his security they hire any random guy or gal with a gun. He probably hires former military or police. People who have been trained in the use of firearms. I have no clue if Jeff Bezos has personally security, but no matter who does they don’t just hire anyone with a gun.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Honestly, saying that they're former police seems like one giant argument against personal security being armed hired.

23. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    But they could "snap" any minute like anyone else according to one of the posts I was replying to. "People are only law abiding until they arent". Im well trained in the use of firearms. I can field strip them, operate them safely, store them properly, etc. So can millions of other gun owners. Former military or police have just as much potential to have issues as anyone else. There is still a rush to blame the tool of the crime versus the criminal. I get it. I dont roll like that though. Blaming a gun for a shooting is akin to blaming the car for the DWI that causes death or major injury. I see the few posts above about suing Remington or whatever gun company. Great - that makes zero sense but thats out litigious nature.

So, the general theme here is that you guys are mostly against gun ownership unless the restrictions are extreme and/or draconian. Thats fine, you've made that clear. I disagree.

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah, so you do support more funding for social services, particularly for kids in poor areas, who often find there's nothing for them to do other than join a gang? Excellent, you finally admitted it's better to invest in the society and tackle the social issues proactively in order to prevent crime, rather than simply throw everyone in jail. :)

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I know but usually “security personal” has training of some kind. The average American gun owner not so much