main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga [The High Republic] Working My Way Back to You (Avar/Elzar) angst, romance -Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jul 9, 2021.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Working My Way Back To You
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Elzar Mann, Avar Kriss,
    Genres: Drama, romance, angst.
    Time frame: High Republic Era
    Summary: Elzar Mann is in love with Avar Kriss. Avar Kriss is in love with him. Why does it have to be so complicated?
    A/N: This thread is one entry into the 2021 Fan FictionSummer Olympics. I opted to do a Pentathlon. We'll see how it goes.

110 Word Hurdle

Hangover

The first sign that something had gone horribly wrong was when Elzar Mann awoke on top of the covers of his bed and, on turning over, felt his head explode in pain. Drawing on the Force to ease the splitting pain, he sat up and realized the second thing: he had slept in his robes. They were wrinkled and smelled of alcohol. The third and last, was that his comlink was uncommonly dark. Rising from the bed, a wave of nausea hit, that the Force did not quell. Like a ton of duracrete bricks, it all came back. He had made a drunken pass at Avar. A drunken crikking PASS!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice first entry. Jedi in love and drunk.

devilinthedetails and brodiew like this.
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Love it!! =D==D= A story with a drunk Jedi is always going to be amazing. I'll mention that I know very little about the High Republic era. Until I started reading the Olympic entries by @devilinthedetails, I knew even less. That inspired some research and what I've found so far is about these two characters. I'm very much looking forward to reading your stories about them.

Hopefully we'll find out in the next one what inspired Elzar's binge-drinking session and his perhaps misguided pass at Avar. ;) Fantastic beginning!

4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for stopping, earlybird. I hope you enjoyed it. This is a little more angsty than I intended.
    @JediMaster_Jen: Hello Jen! Thanks for looking in on both of my Olympic offerings. I really enjoyed these character in Light of the Jedi.The 'ship is strong, even in profic. This scene was not the one I intended to write, but is the lead in to Elzar's awkward moment.

400 Word Cross Country

Die Together

Just as every Master and Knight came running in his moment of despair, they soon bled away because the show must go on. No doom-saying prophecy from a newly minted Master would stop the pomp and pageantry of the dedication of Chancellor's Soh's Great Work, Starlight Beacon. They had helped him regain his center. He could feel them channeling peace and tranquility from the Force. He would not deny they cared. Most of all, she cared. Avar stayed with him for a while. They sat, backs against the bulkhead, knees up, holding hands, with eyes closed. Holding hands provoked no suspicion. They were old friends. One of which needed some support. Eventually she had to leave as well. She stood and smoothed her white robes, adjusting her tiara. There was no time in her entire existence that she was not beautiful. Or, so he told himself.

With a gentle pull of her head, she suggested it was time for them to join the party. She had also suggested they dance together, in the moments before his vision. He would like that.

“Go on ahead,” he said, holding her caramel brown eyes. “I'll be there soon. You have duties...”

“Duties?” she replied. “You mean glad handing and speechifying?"

“Just give me a couple of minutes alone,” he answered, somberly.

Avar could feel the uncertainty in him. As much as they had tried to help him, it wasn't holding. “I'll stay with you.”

“No!” Elzark barked unexpectedly. “Leave me alone. I'll be out there. I'll come to the party. I'll do my part.”

“I'm not concerned about your part,” she said, kneeling in front of where he sat. “I'm worried about you.”

“I know you are,” he said, softly. “But I'm the one who had the vision. I'm the one who saw unimaginable things. I'm not a weak man, Avar, but it has shaken me. Master Yoda can tell me that the future is always in motion all he wants to, but what I saw, what I felt, was that this future cannot be altered.”

“Whatever it is, we'll face it together.” he reached for his hand, hanging over a knee. He pulled it away.

“We'll die together,” he said, bitterly. “Don't you get it.”

She reached out to him in the Force, feeling his fear and isolation.

“Then we will die together.”

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Elzar. What was his vision?

6. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Must have been some vision. [face_nail_biting]

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, wow, such intense emotion. I like how you are expanding on Elzar's reaction to his image and setting up the situation around his dance with Avar. Good job with your first two entries!

brodiew and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ouch! :oops: Force or no Force, Hangover really hit hard - in more ways than one - for poor Elzar. Yikes. :p

Die Together packed just as much of a punch, but in a different way. I'm not wholly familiar with these characters or their story, but what I loved best of all was how supportive Avar was. No matter what happens - even if it's the worst - they'll face it together. Beautiful. [face_love]

Excellent work with these, as always! I look forward to learning more about Avar and Elzar and their world through this collection. =D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superbly in character, very intense vision Elzar had and Avar's support is definitely good to have.

brodiew likes this.
  10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Hello earlybird! Elzar is hurting at the moment. His vision was basically the the destruction of the Jedi Order at the hands of a monster hoard if I recall correctly. He is particularly affected by the screams of his dying friends and other Jedi.
    @JediMaster_Jen: Hi Jen. thanks for coming back. It is a brutal and traumatizing vision of death and destruction. Even a strong Jedi like Elzar is having trouble processing it.
    @devilinthedetails: Thank you, devilinthedetails! I have not read much further in The Rising Storm. but the brief intro really struck a cord. The angst is strong with this one. Elzar's with Avar is coming up in my AU Archery which will follow this 200 Freestyle.
    @Mira_Jade: Thank you for the R and R, Mira. I appreciate your comments as always. Avar and Elzar had an affair as padawan/initiates, but later, to Elzar's disappointment, Avar chose the code over their relationship. He agreed it was for the best, but in profic, they have remained close friends, partners. The 'ship is strong, even in profic, though they remain best friends.
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Good to see you, Nyota! Thanks for stopping in. Elzar is struggling and the opening of The Rising Storm gives as a peak at that, including the mention of his drunken pass at Avar on the dance floor. Leave it to me to bring you the missing scene!

A/N: I edited this from 273 words. I hope it's not too obvious.

200 Word Freestyle

Liquid Courage

After the dedication ceremony, Elzar thought to go back to his quarters and sleep off his anxiety. As he moved toward the exit, he felt Avar's tug in the Force asking him to stay. If he was going to stay, he was going to have a drink. It seemed just the thing to lighten his load. Three drinks later and fourth in his hand, his old friend Stellan Gios found him hiding in an alcove not far from the buffet table.

“Are you feeling any better, Elzar?” Stellan asked.

“Light as a feather,” Elzar replied, raising his drink. “Light enough to forget your charred corpse for a moment. “

“How many of those have you had?” Stellan asked, disregarding the inflammatory comment.

“Enough to feel the music in my body. Avar asked for a dance. I think it's time she had it.”

“I don't thank it that's a good idea. In this state, it might not go the way you think.”

“Whatever state it is, I feel like dancing with my friend and you aren't going to stop me.”

Handing the Council Master his drink, Elzar brushed past him went in search of Avar.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And Stellan cannot stop him. Great

brodiew likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Definitely a hard thing for Elzar to deal with. Avar is the one person who can give support and consolation. Stellan is trying to be a friend but I guess at the moment Elzar thinks, not helping. :p

brodiew likes this.
  13. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Looks like Elzar is headed for a bit of a crash and burn as he tries to cope with his vision. Hopefully Avar and Stellan can reach him.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh man, Elzar. :oops:

You know . . . I feel for him, I really do. He's in a tough spot between the typical stresses of his duties as a Jedi and the weight of his visions and his relationship with Avar being loaded with all sorts of difficult undercurrents. (And thank-you for providing that bit of backstory, there!) I can't say I blame him for wanting a drink. Even if four might be a mistake he'll soon regret, just like Stellan says. This is not going to go the way he thinks its going to go.

Yep, that hurt. =((

Is this, by any chance, where we found Elzar in the first entry? :p

Excellent work with these, as always! =D= [:D]

15. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Great job on these, as always!

"Hangover": Oh, ouch! Poor guy. Great start to this collection!

"Die Together": I think this was my favorite out of the three stories you've posted here so far. As others here have mentioned there's so much emotion in this one, and I really feel for Elzar.

I love this, both because you've described it so beautifully I can totally picture it, and because I just love the quiet companionship and support it shows. The last bit, too, about dying together, was so powerful.

"Liquid Courage": Another great piece with so much emotion packed into a short space.

Oh, I know that feeling. :p

And then this line - wow. It says so much in a very few words and it hit me really hard.

Once again, fantastic job on these and I look forward to more!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: The crash is inevitable. Thank you for continuing to read and leave comments, earlybird. It is much appreciated.
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Spot on analysis, Nyota. Elzar will not be deterred, even to his detriment. Thank you following this story.
    @JediMaster_Jen: Indeed. They help may be forthcoming, but the crash has arrived. Thanks for reading and commenting, Jen!
    @Mira_Jade: It does not end well as you will see. It is after this scene below that we find Elzar waking in his quarters. Thank you picking out that line. The vision he has is catastrophic and many of his friends he sees dead. Stellan is a close friend.
    @amidalachick: Thanks for stopping in, amidalachick! I'm so glad the emotion of Elzar's condition comes through. That scene with them sitting together in thr atrium is a favorite of mine as well. And the line about Stellan's charred corpse is hard, but part of Elzar's current state of mind. Thank you, again.

A/N: This is set a long time ago in a kingdom far, far away. It is meant to be in the past, but could very well be on a world in the future. Enjoy.

AU Archery

Impossible Love

The grand ballroom of Starlight Beacon, the Royal residence of Queen Lina Soh of the Core Kingdoms, was abuzz with activity. The dedication ceremony of her Rim Kingdoms retreat was winding down, but for some that was when the party finally started. Half of the hall was a dance floor and the other half was about the largest buffet spread Elzar Mann had ever seen. As a man who enjoyed a good meal, it was hard to choose among the many offerings. This did not bother him much at the moment because he was not hungry. His stomach may be growling, but the thought of eating sickened him. The dream he had was dominating his consciousness. He would need to consult the Wizard, Yoda, for a way to exercise the troublesome vision. Instead of food, he opted in the other direction, taking more Champagne than was wise and, for his trouble. being chastised by his friend Stellan, one of the Round Table Knights. The encounter had, thankfully, not ended in belligerence, even if he had blown by his friend and superior Knight.

Elzar had promised Princess Avar a dance and he was not about to keep her waiting a minute more. He and the princess had been friends since childhood, and though there had been a brief love affair as teenagers, the Queen had forbidden her daughter from consorting romantically with her Knights, regardless of rank. Elzar was not a Round Table Knight. Few were. However, he was a Master Swordsman, with all the skill and wisdom that came with it. He resented the queen's proclamation, though he had been abiding by it for many years. He had been with Avar on many of her diplomatic missions, standing resolutely by her side. His feelings for her had not dimmed over the years despite Avar's protests and admonitions regarding her mother's command. To his mind, Avar loved him, but loved her mother and the Core Kingdoms more. There were moments when a kiss was inevitable, only for her to turn away or for them them to be interrupted.

He caught sight of her near the dance floor, talking to a the Minister of Ryloth. Knowing the drink was taking its effect, he drew himself up and straightened his gold laced white tunic and made a bee line in her direction.

Bowing to the Minister and turning his head to Avar, Elzar said: “Pardon my intrusion, but I wonder if I might have this dance?”

Avar smiled, excused herself from the Minister and took Elzar's hand. “How are you doing? I wasn't sure you were coming after our talk earlier.”

“I'm feeling a lot better,” he replied, following her onto the dance floor. “Throwing caution to the wind.”

Even with a rumor mill as strong as Queen Mina's court, no one batted an eyes as Avar and Elzar danced spiritedly around the floor throwing arms and legs, hopping and jumping, twisting and shouting. In fact, the two dominated the floor causing other dancers to stop and watch their skilled precision. It was not long before the music changed and couples returned to the floor for the slower, romantic melody.

Elzar took Avar's hand and pulled her into a soft, swaying rhythm. She did not resist and met his eyes as he gently lead her.

“That was quite a display,” Avar said, admiringly. “I knew you had it in you.”

“Like riding a byke as they say,” Elzar replied, fixing her with a longing gaze. “It's burned into my brain like many things of my youth.”

Avar turned away, in part because of the inappropriateness of his comment and partly because of the strength of alcohol on his breath.

“You've been drinking,” she said disapprovingly, still looking away from him. “That's not like you.”

“It help with the dreams,” he said. “When they are particularly nasty.”

“It's not the kind of help you need, Elzar,” she declared, turning back to meet his eyes. “You need a doctor or a-”

“What I need is you, Avar,” he said, passionately under his breath. “You sustain me. You give me purpose. With you, I want to seek God all the more.”

“You can't talk like this Elzar. It will only lead to more pain. We could be separated forever. My mother will have you banished.”

“I don't care,” he said, pulling her closer with an emphatic jerk that caught the attention of other courtiers. He leaned in to kiss her.

Avar pulled away from him and slapped his face so hard, that he staggered backward a coupled of steps. The sound caught the attention of the palace guard, who made their way to the princess.

Stepping between the guards and Elzar and Avar, Stellan Gios raised a hand to them, stopping their progress.

“Your vigilance is noted, but not needed,” he said, the the Captain. “I will handle this personally.”

The Captain was satisfied and the guards turned an about face and returned to their positions.

“You are coming with me,” Stellan said to Elzar. “That is an order.”

“I most certainly am not,” Elzar answered, his face and pride still stinging from Avar's slap.

Stellan took one of his arms and began to usher him from the ballroom.

“Leave now or you will never see me again,” she hissed low enough that only the two men heard.

He stared at her, his countenance a mask of shame, defiance, love, and fear. “Okay. I will.”

He turned from her and allowed Stellan to lead him out.

Coming back to her public persona, Avar called for the music to start again and encouraged others to keep dancing as she left the floor, never taking her eyes from the back of the man she impossibly loved.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A fascinating new context/setting for Elzar and Avar where they remain with motives and personalities intact. =D=

brodiew likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooph, even in this fantasy what-if (or dream-like remembrance?) everything hurts for Elzar and Avar. And Elzar is sadly not making things easier for himself!

Just like that, you managed to strike up a wonderfully vaguely Arthurian setting. I love it! :D [face_love]

It's just as understandable why Elzar does as it is why Avar wants better for him. :(

Oh man, Elzar. :oops: Yep, that definitely wasn't his finest moment; he certainly had that slap coming!

Yet it's even harder when their feelings technically are requited, but any formal realization of them is just impossible and these two are now stuck trying to deal with their burdens and duties as friends as best they can otherwise. Everything is painful, in short, and everything hurts. =((

But, all that said, excellently done with the fantastical fencing! I really enjoyed the glimpse you gave us of this mirror world! =D=

[:D]

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Aw she had to say leave now despite her love for him. And Elzar was led away by his best friend.
    Love the AU setting of knights and wizard Yoda

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thank you, Nyota. I appreciate you reading and responding. Not a great moment for Elzar.
    @Mira_Jade: You are so right about all of it hurting. Elzar is desperate in more ways than one and the weight of his vision and the convoluted nature of his relationship with Avar makes it worse.Thank you for an awesome comment. It will be interesting to see how profic handles the rest of the story.
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Well said, earlybird. Yes, she loves him, but he crossed the line, and publically, which required a sharp response. Having Stellan there and aware made it easier for the moment to pass than if otherwise.

AN: Though this does not conclude the story, it finishes this piece of it. Thank you all for reading and leaving comments. I may do more with this, or not. I think moving on to greener pastures might be better. Thank you, again.

100 Word Shot Put

Not Over

Avar Kriss had not slept a wink the night before. Though she had not let Elzar's scene dominate her every waking thought, it had weighed heavily on her mind. It was hard for her to imagine how quickly and decidedly Elzar's defenses had crumbled and how desperate he appeared, not just for her attention, but for some sense of relief from his burden which was not as easily allayed as previously thought. She immersed herself in the Song, periodically and tentatively testing his Ocean, only to find him distant, aloof, ashamed. She wanted him to know it was not over.

Pentathlon Complete!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The love for Elzar shines through. Congrats on finishing

brodiew likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Painful to read of their distance from one another ... the barriers. Congratulations on finishing.

brodiew likes this.
  23. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Congrats on finishing!! =D==D= Sad to see their distance from each other.

brodiew likes this.
  24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Congratulations on finishing your pentathlon! =D= :D [face_dancing]

This was a great insight on Avar's part!

I really liked the imagery of how they percieve themselves in the Force. And Avar's awareness of Elzar's emotional state. It really wrapped up both the drabble and the pentathlon on a great note!

Not the end, but a pause. [face_love]

I look forward to anything more you may be able to add on this in the future! =D= [:D]

brodiew and JediMaster_Jen like this.