main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Yep, a credit for each new coaster you ride. :) For those of us who are card-carrying members of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts), we're always in search of new credits. Plus, there are discounts and fun events available.

Same here in Southern California, we are so hot and dry right now that little fires break our fairly often. I imagine we're in for a bad fire season in the coming weeks and months.

Mistress_Renata and amidalachick like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Like @JediMaster_Jen said, a credit is a unique coaster. I'm not an ACE member, but I am a member of the Great Ohio Coaster Club. :)

Forest fires are not something I would ever want to deal with. I'm happy to not have to deal with that here. Be safe!

3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @JediMaster_Jen and @jcgoble3 that is so cool and so awesome that you've done all those coasters and parks! I never knew that about the credits either, that's also really cool!

I love roller coasters but I've only ever been to Six Flags Darien Lake and Canada's Wonderland. I was hoping to get to Wonderland last year to finally try Yukon Striker but obviously that didn't happen. I don't think I'll make it this year either, but hopefully next summer!

And yikes on all the fires! That's so scary. Stay safe!

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Again: it's July in Northern California, and when someone was all "we need rain! Pray for rain!"... I wish to remind people of summer rain storms in NorCal that lead to LIGHTNING but little actual rain, Summer 2008 being a prime example. No... rain, because it leads to DRY LIGHTNING and possibly firestorms where smoke dots out the sun for six weeks (unless the wind shifts, and then you might get completely different smoke from OTHER PLACES also burning) would not be good right now. (Most people can rant on various topics... I rant on Lightning in dry conditions and fire safety. It's a thing.) So really, and I agree with amidalachick here: stay safe and sane, everybody. :)

Roller Coasters anywhere sounds fun right now, too. Last one I was on was at Great America.

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And a new twist in this week: I pulled a muscle in the arch of my foot this afternoon. I have an arch support on it now that is helping somewhat, but I'm likely going to have to stay off of it and rest it more than usual in the next few days, which means probably going to guest services when I get to Cedar Point and getting a disability access pass so I don't have to stand on my feet in hour-plus-long lines all day. Which is not necessarily a bad thing (the way the disability passes work means you can actually do more stuff in the same amount of time because you can eat or watch a show while "waiting" virtually for a ride), but it is slightly annoying and complicates the trip a bit.

6. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Love that park! :D

Oh, that sucks! Hopefully the arch support gives you some relief. Also, something that will help is a frozen water bottle. Run the arch of your foot over it for about ten minutes, or as long as you can stand it.

Went to the Dodger game tonight not expecting what I saw. 22-1 Dodger victory!! 8 home runs, including 2 grand slams. Was an amazing night!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Gotta love those sweet, sweet disability perks. The only "theme park" I've been to were the two days my sister and I spent at Disneyland (If you dont count Galaxyland in West Edmonton mall, which I went to a lot as a kid when I lived there... but it's an indoor theme park so not sure it really counts). We planned to spend both days at Disneyland and not do California Adventure because there was much more in Disneyland we wanted to do, but between the disability pass program and the fact that we went during the quietest days of the year (late September, the day of the Halloween party so the park was actually closed early) we did everything we wanted to do in one day, so we said, let's just spend our second day at California Adventure and we were both really glad we did! I can see why people prefer Disneyland, but California Adventure was still super fun!

But that sucks about your foot! Sounds painful.

Forest fires have been the only real natural disaster I've ever had to deal with (besides blizzards but where I come from, those are expected every year and the infrastructure is built to deal with it, so as long as you always have a few days worth of food, they really aren't that bad for the average) and as scary as they can be, I think I prefer dealing with forest fires over any other natural disaster. Usually there is plenty of warning that an evacuation order may be issued and they try to play it safe and get everyone out with plenty of warning. I've spent weeks on evacuation warnings. But yeah, even if you arent in any danger, the horrible air quality can be an issue. One infamous day a few years ago, the entire town I lived in woke up to black skies. It was like night time in the middle of the day, the smoke and ash were so bad. It was basically like being in an apocalypse movie.

ANYWAYS. So for some reason last night I decided I really needed groceries (I dont know what I was thinking) and the only delivery time was the very broad 7am-2pm. I picked it thinking there was no way they would show up at 7. They did. I also had a terrible nights sleep so after I put all my groceries away, I went back to bed and didnt wake up till noon! Ugh. Now it's almost 2 and I still havent cleaned up my breakfast. And I have to work tomorrow (normally I dont work mondays) because that's the best time for me to train summer students on the volunteer scheduling program I've been working for 6 months on (I just want to see it rolled out and finally used!). But at least I'm going to the beach with my sister after dinner so that will hopefully make it feel like I did something fun this weekend.

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I can believe it! I've used the disability passes a couple of times before, but only when with someone else who qualified for them. This may be the first time I need one for myself.

Also, I'm jealous that you've been to Disneyland! I've only made it to Walt Disney World, and Disneyland is on my bucket list.

It is. I wore the arch support overnight, and I took it off while doing laundry this morning to see how it reacted. It seemed fine, so I went out and ran some errands and got lunch without it. But between that and now rapidly walking back and forth in my apartment packing my suitcase, it's started to become a problem again, so I just put the arch support back on.

So it's a wait-and-see situation to see how it's feeling when I arrive tomorrow afternoon.

9. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    A bucket list thing for me was to visit each Disney park around the world. I had been to Disney World and Disneyland as a kid when I still lived full-time in England. Mostly, we visited Alton Towers in England and Europa Park in Germany and those remain two of my favorite theme parks ever. I was an adult when I went to Disneyland Paris (Euro Disney at the time) when it opened and finally made the Asia trip in 2018 and was able to spend two days each at Tokyo Disney, Tokyo DisneySea and Shanghai Disney. Each park is so different that it's hard for me to compare them. But, since I moved to CA as a tenager, I can say that Disneyland here is the best!!

Hopefully it won't cause you too may problems at the park. I'm sure a few rides in Steel Vengeance will make you feel much better. :D

They are such different experiences that it's (for me, anyway) to have a blast at both parks. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Steel Vengeance is fun but won't get many rides from me because it always has the longest line.

Valravn is the one non-kiddie credit I'm missing at Cedar Point. It was closed the whole time I was there in 2019.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  11. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    True. Valravn is a great ride as well. :D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @jcgoble3 and @JediMaster_Jen - what is your favorite coaster of all time?
    I haven't ridden nearly as many as you guys so this might not actually be a great one, but mine is Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood in PA. I remember it having a crazy amount of airtime.

Awesome, that's a great place to go (or so I've heard)! If you do get to go, make sure to try and see the New River Gorge Bridge. I've never done it because I'm crazy afraid of heights, but they have a thing where you can walk across the catwalk under the highway. (Link) But even without that, the view looking at the bridge is amazing! Once a year on the aptly named Bridge Day, they allow base jumping and bungee jumping off of it.

I don't have family there any more, my parents moved away a few years ago, but I do have a few friends (very few) that still live there. I may have to do it one of these days!

Yeah, it's a really good idea to have one. I used to have one all the time that sat in my closet right by the door, but when I moved to NYC it kinda got lost in the shuffle and I've not done it again. I really need to, I'm someone who is always preaching about disaster preparedness. lol.
    But I hope you don't have to use it!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    For me, it's a toss-up mainly between Maverick and Steel Vengeance, both at Cedar Point. The Voyage at Holiday World is in the mix as well when it's running well (like all wooden coasters, it gets rougher over time until they retrack it; the saying goes that you never stop building a wooden coaster).

14. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    That's a hard one for me. There are so many that are so good. While Steel Vengeance is a terrific ride and in my top 5, my favorite would have to be Shambhala at PortAventura in Spain.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    amidalachick, mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Working in the refugee business is horrible, I'm telling you. Sometimes you have to drive all the way to Patras. And sometimes, you stop on the way back, because it's so, sooooo, sooooo terribly faaaaaar awaaaaaaay :p
    [​IMG]

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ha! I did something similar at work yesterday. Had a cycle in 36C weather. Of course we stopped at the lake and dipped our feet in!
    [​IMG]

Speaking of work, I found out today that a co-worker is quitting - the same one who JUST recovered from an injury. I'm not all that surprised, we all kinda knew this was an in-between thing until he got accepted to grad school. But his absence before left us scrambling and I'm kinda worried what it will be like without him. HOWEVER, at least this time he's going for good, we have a few weeks notice, and we will be able to hire someone to replace him (and in the interim, the president of the charity has a ton of vacation days from his normal job and will be stepping in to help out and he and I get along well).

And part of me is kinda jealous - he's getting out of this frustrating organization and I feel like I'm stuck. I have never wanted this job to be a long term thing and the position I have isn't exactly one for the long term - so I'm either going to be taking over some of his duties which I really dont want to do again, or I'm going to have to eventually find something new - which I want - but there's nothing out there right now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Beeeeeeaaaaach.... Laaaaaake... jealous jealous... :cool:

18. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    SAME! :_|:p

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Briannakin like this.
  19. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Me too. :_|

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Briannakin like this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Been surfing (bodyboarding) today

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm two weeks into my new team (oh, and I was wrong, there were people who did get fired) and I'm on my first over night trip. I'm in Philadelphia, which I've never been to before, so that's cool. Unfortunately all of the museums were closed by the time I was done today, so I did the only Philly thing I could do, I got a Philly Cheese Steak. (For those not in the U.S., Philadelphia is the birthplace of the United States. This is where they voted for independence and the Declaration of Independence was written so there are a lot of museums and places to tour.)

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wish I could share all my lake adventures with all of you guys!

I recently bought a new swimsuit and I'm super excited for it to come. The top is a front-zip so no more struggling to get off a wet swimsuit.

That's awesome that you are in Philadephia but sucks that all the museums are closed! I was in St. Louis during the government shut-down of 2018/19 and was kinda disappointed I didn't get to pop into the museum there.

So, at work, it is the charity's 20th anniversary this year so we are doing a big event... in late August but somehow the summer students landed on the date that 2 of my co-workers will be away for weddings, and of course the 3rd will be gone by then and we probably arent hiring anyone new until summer students leave. So I'm going to be the only permanent employee - along with our CEO (who has no clue what is going on 80% of the time) - running this thing. I mean, I'm not hoping for a family emergency to force me to fly back home... but if there ever was a weekend for it, that would be it.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I will have to get a picture of my view from my hotel room in the morning before I check out to make you more jealous. :p I have a 3rd floor room with a beautiful view of the Cedar Point beach and Lake Erie.

24. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Sucks bug time that the museums were closed. As you said, so much to see and it's all fascinating. Hopefully you'll get to go back sometime and do all of the touristy things. I hoe the cheese steak was good. :D

Oh, I love that view! Had it myself occasionally. Hope your foot did well in the park today.:)

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    As promised, sunrise on the Cedar Point beach:

[​IMG]